Newly rs-obsessed

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
meepmeep
New User
New User

Newly rs-obsessed

Post by meepmeep »

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking here for a while, but finally decided to post.

After my brother and a few of my cousins did 23andMe and had no scary health reports, I was curious and decided to do 23&me as well. There is no history of AD in my family and all of my grandparents lived into their 80s (one of whom is alive and very healthy). I’m an anxious person and figured the results would give me peace of mind that I wasn’t at high risk for any debilitating disorders... well, I was wrong! It turns out I have 1 copy of APOE4. I ran my raw data through promethease and I’m a 3/4 (while my brother, who has always been the lucky one, is a 2/3). I’ve been obsessed with looking at different SNPs ever since (and appear to have a number of “protective” ones) and am trying to institute lifestyle changes, like many of you.

I’m 35/female and as of now have stellar blood work (high HDL, low LDL, low triglycerides), low A1C, and low blood pressure. I hope to be able to keep things this way so I have as long as possible to follow the research and hope for a treatment!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Newly rs-obsessed

Post by Tincup »

meepmeep wrote:I’m 35/female and as of now have stellar blood work (high HDL, low LDL, low triglycerides), low A1C, and low blood pressure. I hope to be able to keep things this way so I have as long as possible to follow the research and hope for a treatment!
Welcome!

One 4 allele has a moderate increase in risk and your age and your great metrics put you in a good place to start this journey, knowing your status!
Tincup
E3,E4
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RAJ64 »

meepmeep wrote:Hi all, I’ve been lurking here for a while, but finally decided to post... It turns out I have 1 copy of APOE4. I ran my raw data through promethease and I’m a 3/4 (while my brother, who has always been the lucky one, is a 2/3). I’ve been obsessed with looking at different SNPs ever since (and appear to have a number of “protective” ones) and am trying to institute lifestyle changes, like many of you... I’m 35/female and as of now have stellar blood work (high HDL, low LDL, low triglycerides), low A1C, and low blood pressure. I hope to be able to keep things this way so I have as long as possible to follow the research and hope for a treatment!
A hearty welcome, meepmeep! We are so glad you decided to post! :D My name is Rachel and I am a support team intern here on the ApoE4.info site.

Finding out you do carry one copy of ApoE4 can come as quite a shock. I wanted to encourage you that your emotions are normal. It's healthy to acknowledge them. I would like to suggest that when you are ready, you could frame your newfound knowledge in a more positive way and that, like your brother, YOU are lucky! You have so much in your favor, meepmeep! Let me take a minute to review some of the positives I see that you have going for you right now:

1) You are 35 and having a copy of ApoE4 is an indication of higher risk of developing LATE onset AD by age 85! You are well ahead of the curve and have half a century to reduce your modifiable risk factors :)

2) You are motivated to learn more about your modifiable risk factors AND do something about them! That's awesome and will go a long way to help you mitigate the risk that having a copy of ApoE4 carries.

3) Your current labs indicate you are doing a good job of creating health for yourself right now - which is protective of your FUTURE health!

4) You have some protective SNPs! Reason to celebrate!

5) You CARE about your health! This is an amazing blessing to count in your favor, meepmeep!

I encourage you to acknowledge your anxiety and shock over your ApoE4 status, but don't stop short of counting your many blessings, too! A positive outlook will go a long way to helping you create the outcomes of the healthy life you desire.

You say you have been around on the site for a while, which I am glad to hear. Apparently you have been already learning a lot about ApoE4 and SNPs before you knew your own ApoE4 status. I would like to share a few technical tips with you, in case you are not already aware of them.

Simple Preventive Steps is a good place to get a few important lifestyle tips that will help anyone improve their health. I would add stress reduction to the list as well. Trying to see the bright side of each challenge you face and how you can grow from it will also improve your overall mental and physical health. :)

To "tag" a member in a post you can use the quote function. Quoting triggers an email to the forum member that you are quoting and gives that person a link to log on and open the ApoE4.info website right to your comment. It ensures that the person you are talking with knows you have something to say. It's okay to practice this (practice makes perfect!). Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or problems figuring it out. How To Use the Quote Function

How To Get The Most Out Of The ApoE4.Info Website might also have some information to help you navigate the site and participate in the forums.

If I missed something, please let me know. I am so glad you posted, meepmeep and encourage you to keep reading and posting. ApoE4.info exists to help members adjust to their newfound knowledge and then THRIVE in spite of it!

Warmly,
Rachel
Last edited by RAJ64 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAJ64, BSN, RN
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
meepmeep
New User
New User

Post by meepmeep »

Thank you both for responding!

Since the initial anxiety of finding out has worn off now, I actually wish I knew sooner... I probably wouldn’t have partied so hard in my 20s and early 30s (before I decided to become a mom). :D I have indeed been “lucky” to have stayed in good health thus far!