Hi all and a question to clarify my ApoE status

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Cat Smit
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all and a question to clarify my ApoE status

Post by Cat Smit »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have been aware of the ApoE status issue for a while. Just checking, from reading the introductory primer, I searched my 23andme raw data (which I had done about 6 years ago) for the two variants and got this:

rs7412 19 45412079 CC
rs429358 19 45411941 CT

So, even though the table lists the second allele as "TC", does this still mean that my status is e3/e4?

Thanks for any guidance,
Cat Smit
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach and human being with a body that fundamentally has a healthy core! :)
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hi all and a question to clarify my ApoE status

Post by RAJ64 »

Cat Smit wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum but have been aware of the ApoE status issue for a while. Just checking, from reading the introductory primer, I searched my 23andme raw data (which I had done about 6 years ago) for the two variants and got this: rs7412 19 45412079 CC and rs429358 19 45411941 CT So, even though the table lists the second allele as "TC", does this still mean that my status is e3/e4?
Welcome to the forum, Cat Smit! My name is Rachel and I am a support team intern here on the site. You have already been doing some research and have asked a good question! Are you looking for clarification that the "TC" and "CT" being reversed still leads to the same conclusion? That is a very good observation and I will let someone who knows the answer for sure chime in with a reply. :D

Since you are new to the forum let me introduce you to some useful tools for navigating the site, in case you may not be aware of their usefulness:

How To Get the Most Out of the Site is a good place to start. You will learn how the site is organized and how to navigate it like a pro.

A forum can be a confusing place to find information on a specific topic. Using the Search function helps you find previous conversations or threads on topics that interest you. We encourage people to post to previous topics, even if they haven't been active for a while. It gets conversations going and often promotes new ways of looking at an issue. In addition, you can search for a specific thread topic by clicking on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar at the top of the page. How To Search the ApoE4 Site

Quoting someone in a post facilitates conversation between members. It triggers an email to the forum member that you are quoting and gives that person a link to log on and open the ApoE4.info website right to your comment. So if you would like to "tag" someone in a post, here are the directions for how to do that: How To Use the Quote Function

We are so glad you are here and asking questions. You will find this is a very supportive and knowledgeable group of people who are all willing to share and grow together. If you would like to share more about your journey with ApoE4 please do! You can post on Our Stories. Again, welcome, Cat Smit! :)

Warmly,
Rachel
RAJ64, BSN, RN
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

I'm new to this forum but have been aware of the ApoE status issue for a while. Just checking, from reading the introductory primer, I searched my 23andme raw data (which I had done about 6 years ago) for the two variants and got this:

rs7412 19 45412079 CC
rs429358 19 45411941 CT

So, even though the table lists the second allele as "TC", does this still mean that my status is e3/e4?...
Hi Cat,
Yes, the results are the same; the convention has evolved to list this as CT. Approximately 25% of people with European ancestry have one copy of the ApoE 4 allele, which suggests that it has beneficial effects as well as late-life risks. As your health coach background teaches, the more we learn about how to manage other risks (vascular, metabolic, inflammatory, infectious etc.) the more we dial down our risk.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

rs7412 19 45412079 CC
rs429358 19 45411941 CT

So, even though the table lists the second allele as "TC", does this still mean that my status is e3/e4?
My interpretation is if you have one CT and one CC, you are ε3/ε4. The order doesn't matter.
Source
Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 7.21.22 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4
Cat Smit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cat Smit »

Thank you for your replies Rachel, NF52 and Tin Cup, much appreciated. When I had a look at the data a few years ago (before I knew about this resource) and I thought the way I had interpreted the data meant that I was e3/e4, I was pretty anxious about that, especially as there is a family history of heart disease and diabetes and ?dementia (dementia not formally diagnosed in my grandparents) in my great grandparents, grandparents and parents. I am grateful to have some understanding of epigenetics from the FMCA course that I completed in February and also from listening to Bruce Lipton's Biology of Belief just last week. It's good to be informed and to find out more about the preventative measures that I can employ and also inform myself for any future clients with these related health concerns. Thank you to everyone here for your support and for all the information, which I will slowly get through!

By the way, is there any association between ApoE status and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Recovering from that has been my health journey for quite a long time (60-70% recovered from fatigue and 95% recovered from multiple chemical sensitivities).

Thanks again,
Cat
p.s. Strangely, in the original post it said I didn't have the authority to view that table that you attached to your reply, Tin Cup, but when I used the editor to reply, I could see the table, just to let people know....
Last edited by Cat Smit on Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Cat Smit wrote:p.s. Strangely, in the original post it said I didn't have the authority to view that table that you attached to your reply, Tin Cup, but when I used the editor to reply, I could see the table, just to let people know....
HI Cat,

You likely were not logged in when you got the message, "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." You have to be logged in with your username to see uploaded files or images.
Tincup
E3,E4
Cat Smit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cat Smit »

Ok, now I understand. Thanks.
Tincup wrote:
Cat Smit wrote:p.s. Strangely, in the original post it said I didn't have the authority to view that table that you attached to your reply, Tin Cup, but when I used the editor to reply, I could see the table, just to let people know....
HI Cat,

You likely were not logged in when you got the message, "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." You have to be logged in with your username to see uploaded files or images.