How to read result

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
GoedZo
New User
New User

How to read result

Post by GoedZo »

I came across my late mother's APOE genetic test results from 2002. My mother died in 2017. I understand the summary but I don't understand the written result. Is anyone willing to look at this and advise? I don't see a way to attach a photo of it but wrote out below how it looks. Do I interpret this as she had 1 copy of ApoE 3 gene and 2 copies of the ApoE 4 gene?

Test Results
ApoE allele 1 3
ApoE allele 2 4

Thank you very much!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: How to read result

Post by Tincup »

GoedZo wrote:I came across my late mother's APOE genetic test results from 2002. My mother died in 2017. I understand the summary but I don't understand the written result. Is anyone willing to look at this and advise? I don't see a way to attach a photo of it but wrote out below how it looks. Do I interpret this as she had 1 copy of ApoE 3 gene and 2 copies of the ApoE 4 gene?

Code: Select all

Test                            Results
ApoE allele 1               3
ApoE allele 2               4
J11 wrote:
J11, you've got more experience looking at genetics. Would you agree:

When I quoted this, it looks like there is a tab between the 1 & 3 also 2 & 4.

My interpretation is ApoE3/4.
Tincup
E3,E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Tincup wrote:
GoedZo wrote:I came across my late mother's APOE genetic test results from 2002. My mother died in 2017. I understand the summary but I don't understand the written result. Is anyone willing to look at this and advise? I don't see a way to attach a photo of it but wrote out below how it looks. Do I interpret this as she had 1 copy of ApoE 3 gene and 2 copies of the ApoE 4 gene?

Code: Select all

Test                            Results
ApoE allele 1               3
ApoE allele 2               4
J11 wrote:
J11, you've got more experience looking at genetics. Would you agree:

When I quoted this, it looks like there is a tab between the 1 & 3 also 2 & 4.

My interpretation is ApoE3/4.
Welcome, GoeDZo!
I'm sorry for the fairly recent loss of your mother. I agree with our Moderator Tincup's interpretation.

The report shows, not very skillfully, that we all have two ApoE alleles, one from each of our parents. So allele 1 (which may be from your mother's mother or father) is ApoE 3; allele 2 (from her other parent) is ApoE 4. About 25% of people of European descent have at least one copy of ApoE 4, and about 75% of those people have at least one copy of ApoE 3. So she had pretty common ApoE 3/4, which would have increased her chance of being diagnosed by age 85 with Alzheimer's or vascular dementia from 10-15% (the predicted risk of someone who is ApoE 3/3) to 20-25%, according to this 2017 meta-analysis of large population studies. APOE-related risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia for prevention trials: An analysis of four cohorts

You would have inherited either the ApoE 3 or ApoE 4 allele from her, along with one allele from your father. Hope this helps your own health decisions.
4/4 and still an optimist!
msdorney
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msdorney »

Test Results
ApoE allele 1 3
ApoE allele 2 4

Thank you very much!
Welcome to the APOE4.info web site GoedZo! It is great that you are looking into your family genetics. I hope that you will find the information and community here helpful. Here are a couple of resources that you may find very useful when using the site. First, there is the Primer that was authored by a physician. It contains a wealth of information and you may find that it is helpful related to your process of understanding your Mother's test results and what it means for you. Second, you may want to look at the Wiki for this site. It has some great information on how to get the most out if this site.