Intro :PO e3/e4 with weird lipid pattern

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
nckenk
New User
New User

Intro :PO e3/e4 with weird lipid pattern

Post by nckenk »

Hello All,

[I'm 54, have been a runner for 25 years, BMI of 23, generally healthy...and love to golf whenever I can.
I'll use AD for Alzheimer's Disease, CVD for Cardio-Vascular Disease below. ]

I found this group via the Bredesen "The End of Alzheimer's" book.
I found this book and author when watching a podcast of the author on a podcast called "Found My Fitness."
I found "Found my Fitness" from the Peter Attia podcast "The Drive."
(ok, I have to admit, I like podcasts that discuss wellness, health, and longevity.)

Anyway, after figuring out I could do a 23andMe dna sequence for about $100, and then have that raw data analyzed by
"Found My Fitness" (for $25)....I was hoping to learn some basic diet/exercise/sleep stuff that may be interesting (like how is my caffeine metabolism, etc.). My personal view point is the more data I have, the better. I'm going to die at some point (that's just part of the deal...no one gets out alive), and I believe that knowing what cards I was dealt is better than not knowing.

When I get the "Found My Fitness" results back...I found out I'm APO E3/E4. My maternal grandmother had AD (Alzheimer's Disease), but nobody else in the family has been diagnosed with AD. I then started researching E3/E4 to find out as much as I can.
My family history is mixed on the CVD front...some have had early (mid 50's) heart attack leading to death....most die of heart attacks nearing 80.

Given that their is an increased CVD risk with APO E3/E4 folks, I was concerned about my lipids. I've always had high LDL (~200), high HDL (last test was 90) and low trigs (75). My PCP wants me on statins. I asked if we could do a Cardiac Calcium score to see how my cardiac arteries are doing right now (since I've never been on statins, and the LDL has always been high) and had a scan this week.
The Cardio Calcium score came back yesterday....I was relieved to see a score of Zero...phew. (in addition to getting the score, I'm also able to see all the imaging from the test...it's down via CT. Very cool to geek out and be looking at images of your heart and chest.)

So, now I'm trying to figure out how to avoid getting AD in parallel with maintaining my CV health. To be frank and honest...I'd prefer to die of a heart attack ( at hopefully a ripe old age) than deal with AD (having seen what this is like first hand with my maternal grandma). Can I minimize CVD risk without increasing risk of AD onset?

Next up, I have an appt. scheduled with a cardiology clinic (at a local research university).

In parallel to all of the above, I have been trying to optimize my gut micro-biome...the more I learn about the gut micro-biome, the more I want mine to be nice and healthy.

I have an Oura ring to help me optimize my sleep, HRV, resting pulse rate.
I use a glucose monitor to monitor blood glucose levels (I don't have Type 1 nor Type 2 diabetes...I just like knowing what my numbers are).
I have the single lead EKG monitoring device from amazon (for only $85...I couldn't resist that one).
We have a pulse oximeter device (just like everyone else in a COVID-19 pandemic).
And finally a home blood pressure monitoring kit.

I'm trying my best to get:
1) Adequate quality sleep
2) Adequate exercise (cardio, HIIT, and strength)
3) Mediteranean Diet (lots of fruits/vegetable, nuts, EVOO...while cutting out processed foods)
4) Stress mitigation (via mindfulness mediation)

Wow...I'm surprised that I typed that much in.
That's my story....and I'm looking forward to meeting and learning from fellow E3/E4 folks.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Intro :PO e3/e4 with weird lipid pattern

Post by Tincup »

nckenk wrote:That's my story....and I'm looking forward to meeting and learning from fellow E3/E4 folks.
Welcome!. Sounds like you are on the right path with good sources of info! Keep it up and keep learning!
Tincup
E3,E4
birdie18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by birdie18 »

nckenk wrote:I'm 54, have been a runner for 25 years, BMI of 23, generally healthy...and love to golf.
Can I minimize CVD risk without increasing risk of AD onset?
I'm looking forward to meeting and learning from fellow E3/E4 folks.
Welcome to apoE4.info nckenk! Sounds like you are wisely and intentionally leading a very healthy lifestyle! This has already reduced your risk of chronic disease. As you continue to learn and practice these good habits, you increase your resilience and wellbeing.

Here are some tips for your time here. Check out the expert information in the Wiki. Review the How-To Guide to make it easy to use the site. Consider posting your story, as you told it here, on Our Stories forum. EDIT: Actually, I think you did post in "Our Stories!" You're one step ahead of me.

Your health journey can be quite an inspiration to others. I'm glad you found us and look forward to seeing your posts! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
birdie18
APOE4.info Intern2020
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Naturopathic Physician
tweet: vis medicatrix naturae
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

nckenk wrote:Given that their is an increased CVD risk with APO E3/E4 folks, I was concerned about my lipids. I've always had high LDL (~200), high HDL (last test was 90) and low trigs (75). My PCP wants me on statins. I asked if we could do a Cardiac Calcium score to see how my cardiac arteries are doing right now (since I've never been on statins, and the LDL has always been high) and had a scan this week.
The Cardio Calcium score came back yesterday....I was relieved to see a score of Zero...phew.
Welcome, nckenk. With your excellent result on the Cardiac Calcium test and all the other steps you are taking to optimize your health, it sounds like you are doing a great job already. Entirely possible to minimize CVC risk without increasing risk of AD; it seems that you are on track with both!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health