Introduction and Question

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Patricia100
New User
New User

Introduction and Question

Post by Patricia100 »

Hello All. First let me say thanks to all of you for this incredible wealth of information. I have been reading and learning so much, and implementing as much as possible. 23 and me implied that I was 3/4. However, after reading your materials and learning how to access the raw data which I did, I learned that I was 2/4. At this time I am following my same diet as I had been for 3/4's. Unfortunately I can find little information about 2/4's and am hoping that someone in this group may have some links or other information about 2/4's. Thank you for any thoughts or information that you may have.
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Introduction and Question

Post by AKA »

Patricia100 wrote:Hello All. First let me say thanks to all of you for this incredible wealth of information. I have been reading and learning so much, and implementing as much as possible. 23 and me implied that I was 3/4. However, after reading your materials and learning how to access the raw data which I did, I learned that I was 2/4. At this time I am following my same diet as I had been for 3/4's. Unfortunately I can find little information about 2/4's and am hoping that someone in this group may have some links or other information about 2/4's. Thank you for any thoughts or information that you may have.
Welcome Patricia100, so glad to have you here!

I did a quick search using the little magnifying glass icon at the top of the page and found some links to Apoe2 topics, not sure if this is what you are looking for but it might point you in the right direction. Check it out here.

The site has so much info, it can get a little confusing sorting through it all. There's a handy "How-To" page that's a great resource and provides some navigating tips and more info on searching the site (check out item 5 on the "How-To" page for more on searching topics) you can find it here.

Again, a warm welcome Patricia100!
Look forward to learning along with you,
aka
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Patricia100 wrote:Hello All. First let me say thanks to all of you for this incredible wealth of information. I have been reading and learning so much, and implementing as much as possible. 23 and me implied that I was 3/4. However, after reading your materials and learning how to access the raw data which I did, I learned that I was 2/4. At this time I am following my same diet as I had been for 3/4's. Unfortunately I can find little information about 2/4's and am hoping that someone in this group may have some links or other information about 2/4's. Thank you for any thoughts or information that you may have.
Hi Patricia,

2/4's are rare, However my understanding is that 2's can be prone to hypertriglyceridemia, hence a lower carb approach is generally indicated. I know one 2/4 that sometimes posts here, but he has many other issues. I know a 2/3 who is the husband of a poster, which is where I got the first sentence. I know this isn't much to add.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jenny B
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jenny B »

Welcome to our community, Patricia100! I too appreciate the wealth of information and the combined resources of our members on this forum. I personally have a "complicated" genetic picture when it comes to predicting dementia for myself. I know it may sound strange but I am an intern in this community even though I am E3/E3. However, my dad passed from Lewy Body Dementia last year, my mom has mild cognitive impairment in her mid 70's and her mom had AD. My dad's parents (my grandparents) both had dementia when they passed in their 80's. My dad's sister has vascular dementia, and my sister and other cousins have issues with their cerebral vasculature. Therefore, like you, I am reading, learning and implementing all I can to optimize my brain and artery health.

I am a naturopathic doc by education and have been studying the effects of chronic inflammation, gut health, autoimmune disease, immune response and how they are all related for the past 15 years. What I have found in all of that for me is that if I follow anti inflammatory protocols, especially those that are targeted even more to reduce brain inflammation, I feel I am reducing my risk for the majority of chronic diseases. The trick is to stick to these protocols so I've advanced my education into the field of health and wellness coaching to help myself and others make sustainable changes and become my best and most well self. It's a journey! At any rate, I'm diving into the Bredesen Protocol at this point because it is the most aligned with what I have studied and I believe it delivers the most benefit for the effort for me. It is a work of progress not perfection, but I know my systemic inflammation is going down because I just had my hsCRP drawn as part of my recent bloodwork and it is amazingly low compared to when I was in medical school years ago. It's a marker for inflammation and especially targeted to cardiovascular inflammation. It is significantly lower today than 12+ years ago! WooHoo! This is from incorporating an anti-inflammatory lifestyle as much as possible and it hasn't always felt very possible. By following the diet recommendations for E3/E4 even though your E2/E4, I strongly believe that you are doing very well for yourself as far as keeping inflammation that doesn't serve you at bay.

I hope that helps a bit. I see that aka mentioned the How-To Guide. Another inspiring resource is the Primer written by a doctor who is herself, ApoE 4/4. It is an introduction to ApoE4 and possible prevention strategies for dementia related complications. We hope you find all you need and more here, and feel free to reach out to any of us if you need anything.

Warmly,

Jenny BC
Jenny B, ND
FMCHC, NBC-HWC
ApoE4.info Sr Support Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Naturopathic Doctor
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Welcome Patricia,

We've had a few other 2/4s here and some discussion before. Here a link to the hits for ApoE 2/4:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22Apoe+2%2F4 ... =hc&ia=web

I think many people think the 2 and the 4 cancel each other out, but that's not true, the 4 seems to dominate.

This is the most comprehensive paper I am familiar with regarding 2/4s

The Specific Impact of Apolipoprotein E Epsilon 2 on Cognition and Brain Function in Cognitively Normal Elders and Mild Cognitive Impairment Patients
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

-Theresa
ApoE 4/4