Newbie 2/4 with odd lipid profile

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
marie_pdx
New User
New User

Newbie 2/4 with odd lipid profile

Post by marie_pdx »

Hello everyone!

I'm a long time lurker, but decided to jump in and post. I'm happy to be here and grateful a forum like this exists.

I first learned about my APOE 4 allele a few years ago in my late 30s. I didn't think much of it at first- I barely touch carbs and work out 6 days a week (irritating, I know). I figured "Hey, they'll think up a cure by the time I'm old, right?".

It wasn't until (pre-Covid) 2020 that I became concerned. I was in an airport reading a magazine (Scientific American, I think). An article about women and Alzheimer's jumped out at me- apparently my '4' was more of a risk than I'd assumed. I decided then and there to learn all I could about the mechanisms of Alzheimer's and its prevention. Now a year later, I've consumed hundreds of articles, white papers, and podcasts. I've ordered more oddball herbs and supplements than I could ever imagine. The more I've learned, the less faith I have in the pharmaceutical industry to swoop in and save us. Aducanumab is the best they can do??? Come on.

After picking through my SNPs, I discovered I'm actually a 2/4 (C/T-C/T). There's not much info out there about us 2/4s. I actually have a weird lipid profile:
Total: 178
VLDL: 9
LDL: 52.2
TRIGLYCERIDE: 44
HDL: 117
I practice IF, so I hadn't eaten in 16 hours. Those HDLs are crazy! Apparently I'm a walking bottle of olive oil. Has anyone experienced anything similar with their HDLs?

Thanks for reading,
Marie PDX
seachangehealthcoach
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newbie 2/4 with odd lipid profile

Post by seachangehealthcoach »

marie_pdx wrote:Hello everyone!

I'm a long time lurker, but decided to jump in and post. I'm happy to be here and grateful a forum like this exists.

I first learned about my APOE 4 allele a few years ago in my late 30s. I didn't think much of it at first- I barely touch carbs and work out 6 days a week (irritating, I know). I figured "Hey, they'll think up a cure by the time I'm old, right?".

It wasn't until (pre-Covid) 2020 that I became concerned. I was in an airport reading a magazine (Scientific American, I think). An article about women and Alzheimer's jumped out at me- apparently my '4' was more of a risk than I'd assumed. I decided then and there to learn all I could about the mechanisms of Alzheimer's and its prevention. Now a year later, I've consumed hundreds of articles, white papers, and podcasts. I've ordered more oddball herbs and supplements than I could ever imagine. The more I've learned, the less faith I have in the pharmaceutical industry to swoop in and save us. Aducanumab is the best they can do??? Come on.

After picking through my SNPs, I discovered I'm actually a 2/4 (C/T-C/T). There's not much info out there about us 2/4s. I actually have a weird lipid profile:
Total: 178
VLDL: 9
LDL: 52.2
TRIGLYCERIDE: 44
HDL: 117
I practice IF, so I hadn't eaten in 16 hours. Those HDLs are crazy! Apparently I'm a walking bottle of olive oil. Has anyone experienced anything similar with their HDLs?

Thanks for reading,
Marie PDX

Hi Marie_PDX,
Thank you for deciding to reach out and welcome to the forum! We are glad you are here and hope that the resources here can be of support and comfort. Sounds like you love to learn and have done a lot of homework regarding Alzheimers Disease and prevention. I wanted to list a few resources for you on the site that I hope prove helpful. Also, just a note of support is that there is an ApoE 2/4 forum member who is 85 and is doing just fine cognitively and physically! Please stay in touch and keep asking questions. A popular sentiment around the forum is that your genes are not your destiny.

Search results from entering ApoE2/4 in search field:
Search ApoE2/4

How-To Guide

Primer

Our Stories
Jennifer Balzano
Founder, SeaChange Health Coaching
M.A., B.S., Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

Hi Marie - I am also a 2/4 and my HDL is always high. Looking back at my records it's been as high as 123 and most recently (January) it's at 100. My triglycerides tend to hover around 50. Not sure whether or not this is related to our "2", but I consider it a good thing!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

marie_pdx wrote: Those HDLs are crazy! Apparently I'm a walking bottle of olive oil. Has anyone experienced anything similar with their HDLs?
Thanks for reading,
Marie PDX
Greetings from a fellow walking bottle of olive oil!
In every blood test over the last decade, my HDL is always above 100, mainly in the 110-117 range, though once was a memorable121. My triglycerides are also quite low, like yours, but my LDL and total cholesterol are much higher than yours. Both really went up with my intake of coconut products which I have cut back a little now . As you probably know, there is a great deal of controversy about how important lipid numbers are. I am in the “not a problem as long as inflammation and glycemic markers are good” camp (but acknowledge that many people regard that approach as foolhardy).
It is great that you are learning so much about AD prevention at an early age. It sounds like you are already doing many things that will benefit your longterm cognitive health. Exercise is such a powerful way to maintain your health on every level.
There may well be a cure for AD by the time that you would be old enough to be affected by your E4 allele. Progress is remarkable. But by following the guidelines of staying active, sleeping well, eating healthily, reducing stress, avoiding insulin resistance and inflammation you’re setting the stage to avoid all chronic illness and live a long healthy life.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
marie_pdx
New User
New User

Post by marie_pdx »

I appreciate the info. It's very reassuring to know there are other outliers. I look forward to learning more through these boards and the wiki.

My doc seems unconcerned about the lipids, so I'll relax about it. Ultimately, we control what we can and hope for the best. I'll concentrate on improving my sleep and stress. Those facets of my life could definitely use some improvement! :?

Thanks!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

marie_pdx wrote:I appreciate the info. It's very reassuring to know there are other outliers. I look forward to learning more through these boards and the wiki.

My doc seems unconcerned about the lipids, so I'll relax about it. Ultimately, we control what we can and hope for the best. I'll concentrate on improving my sleep and stress. Those facets of my life could definitely use some improvement! :?

Thanks!
Good plan: Learn more, sleep better stress less! And hope for the best!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health