Help with blood sugar testing

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
slinkystrudels
Contributor
Contributor

Help with blood sugar testing

Post by slinkystrudels »

Hi there - so I’ve just done my first ever fasting blood glucose test and it was 4.7mmol/L

Is that level ok ? Is this the only daily test I need to do to monitor my blood sugar or are there other tests ? What about measuring Insulin Resistance ?

Thanks 😊
41years old from bonnie Scotland. 4/4 ....
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Help with blood sugar testing

Post by floramaria »

slinkystrudels wrote:Hi there - so I’ve just done my first ever fasting blood glucose test and it was 4.7mmol/L

Is that level ok ? Is this the only daily test I need to do to monitor my blood sugar or are there other tests ? What about measuring Insulin Resistance ?

Thanks 😊
Yes that is a good result! Your result converted to mg/dL is 85. The goal is to have FBG below 90. There are additional tests that you can do to get a deeper look at the whole insulin resistance picture. Hba1c for example, is a measure of average blood glucose over 2-3 months. Hba1c is useful to define pre-diabetes and diabetes levels. My doctor was reluctant to test my Hba1c a few years ago when my fasting blood glucose was below 90. But when my Hba1c was tested it was right at the edge of pre-diabetic, which was a surprise to both me and my doctor. It indicated to me that I needed to be more careful about my food intake and by following a ketogenic diet I brought my level down to a healthy level. You can also get your fasting blood insulin tested.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Help with blood sugar testing

Post by TheresaB »

slinkystrudels wrote:Hi there - so I’ve just done my first ever fasting blood glucose test and it was 4.7mmol/L

Thanks 😊
4.7 is great! Congrats. You asked what about measuring Insulin Resistance. Our wiki on Insulin Resistance talks about tests for that. https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Insulin_Resistance

Also our wiki on Blood Sugar discusses tests and "new" normals. https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Blood_Sugar
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4