Intro & lipid panel question

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Intro & lipid panel question

Post by FitFoodie »

Hi, I've been lurking here for years and figure it's time for an intro. I'm 46 years old and a mom of three. I work from home (even pre-covid) as a writer/editor. I love food and exercise, see the username :-) and I've always had high-ish cholesterol. I eat a lot of vegetables and am on the skinny side, so doctors have always told me it's genetic and my ratio is good so don't worry.

When I learned about apoe4, I assumed I had at least one copy of this gene, because of my cholesterol levels and because my mom and two of her sisters (3 of 4 daughters) had some form of alz/dementia by their 80s. My paternal grandfather did too. My father died in his late 70s of cancer and then leukemia, so I don't know if he would have gone that route by his 80s too.

I did 23andme in early 2020 and learned I was 3/3. This was good news, but balanced the mystery of the high cholesterol and by hearing Dr. Isaacson say in a podcast interview with Peter Attia that he doesn't know how to help 3/3s with extensive family history, whereas 3/4s and 4/4s, he can help. My mom was still alive when I got my genetic test results, but she wouldn't have been able to consent to her own genetic testing. She died of covid about 6 weeks later, so I'll never know if she was 3/4.

I've continued to hang out here to learn more. I eat the salmon roe, use high polyphenol evoo, exercise, fast from about 7pm to 11am, and am trying the 40 hz light and sound therapy. I have anxiety around memory and whether I'm experiencing the beginning of the beginning of the decline, you know?

Finally, yesterday I got my butt to my primary care doctor for my first appointment in over two years. Bloodwork posted to the patient portal today.

Low hemoglobin, low WBC, low MCHC (an anemia parameter) and cholesterol is about 20 points worse than usual, with the increase being in LDL, not the HDL. My triglycerides continue to be low. At least there's that, since I drink no alcohol, eat only some sugar, and get tons of exercise. Oh, my fasting glucose is 92 and looking at past results, that's where it usually sits.

Cholesterol, Total: 271 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol: 75 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 50 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol Calc: 182 mg/dL (calc)
Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 3.6 (calc)
Non-HDL: 196 mg/dL (calc)

I haven't changed my diet or activity in any big way since my last number with an LDL of 149 (vs 182 now).
So I'm thinking it's perimenopausal hormone shifts -- wild periods for first time in my life for the past 9 months, possibly causing the slight anemia too, which is not typical for me. Since that last bloodwork, I've also been on a sub-clinical (but not ready to eliminate) dose of escitalopram/lexapro and SSRIs have been shown to increase cholesterol. And since covid, I'm better about taking Vitamin D supplements, which can be an LDL cholesterol increaser.

Any thoughts?
I assume I should ask my doctor for an advanced lipid panel (LDL-p or apolipoprotein b)?
Any other tests, recommendations?
Thank you for reading all this.
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Intro & lipid panel question

Post by FitFoodie »

hmmm I also drink a ton more coffee since covid lockdowns, another possible culprit. (23andme noted I have a gene for not getting jittery from OD'ing on caffeine, and that's true haha.)
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

FitFoodie wrote: HDL Cholesterol: 75 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 50 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol Calc: 182 mg/dL (calc)
Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 3.6 (calc)
Non-HDL: 196 mg/dL (calc)
Any thoughts?
I assume I should ask my doctor for an advanced lipid panel (LDL-p or apolipoprotein b)?
Any other tests, recommendations?
Thank you for reading all this.
Hi FitFoodie, Welcome to the conversation! I’m happy that you decided to introduce yourself and ask your questions. I don’t have any thoughts on what caused your LDL to go up by 20 points, but do have some general comments. As you probably know, the whole area of interpreting the significance of cholesterol numbers is one where there is a tremendous divergence of opinions among experts. As someone who has cholesterol numbers similar to yours, I have chosen to believe the group that conclude that as long as inflammatory markers are low, there is no insulin resistance, and Triglyceride to HDL ratio is good, high cholesterol is not a risk factor. I am aware that I am biased towards this interpretation of cholesterol at least partly because it makes my life easier if I don’t have to worry about my high cholesterol!
Getting an advanced lipid panel is a good idea. I got my LDL-p checked, which was reassuring, and plan to get a CAC scan.
Have you tested hsCRP and homocysteine? If not, my personal opinion is that those are important to monitor generally, and especially in the presence of high cholesterol . Also HbA1c and fasting insulin to be sure that you are not insulin resistant.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

floramaria wrote: I am aware that I am biased towards this interpretation of cholesterol at least partly because it makes my life easier if I don’t have to worry about my high cholesterol!
I hear you. There's already so much to worry about, and this seems like something that might be worth letting go of. My doctor got back to me about this blood work and agreed: don't worry.
floramaria wrote: Getting an advanced lipid panel is a good idea. I got my LDL-p checked, which was reassuring, and plan to get a CAC scan.
Have you tested hsCRP and homocysteine? If not, my personal opinion is that those are important to monitor generally, and especially in the presence of high cholesterol . Also HbA1c and fasting insulin to be sure that you are not insulin resistant.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping for: tests to ask for to make sure I'm not ignoring something important. Sure I have low triglycerides (and low BP) but I'm not just worried about heart disease. Inflammation and insulin resistance are of interest/worry too.