Compassionate Allowances Conditions - Social Security

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
boatman
New User
New User

Compassionate Allowances Conditions - Social Security

Post by boatman »

Hi I'm new to this forum. My dear wife just got an Alzheimer's/demential diagnosis. I'm terrified and overwhelmed. She is only 54 and it seems to be early onset type I think. The other day I read on a post something about social security compassionate allowances conditons. I'm struggling to figure out how I'm going to pay for my wife's care in the next few years and wondering how the compassionate allowances condition works or what qualifies someone to be eligible. Thanks in advance for any help.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Compassionate Allowances Conditions - Social Security

Post by NF52 »

boatman wrote:Hi I'm new to this forum. My dear wife just got an Alzheimer's/demential diagnosis. I'm terrified and overwhelmed. She is only 54 and it seems to be early onset type I think. The other day I read on a post something about social security compassionate allowances conditons. I'm struggling to figure out how I'm going to pay for my wife's care in the next few years and wondering how the compassionate allowances condition works or what qualifies someone to be eligible. Thanks in advance for any help.
Welcome, boatman, to a caring port of call on the beginning of a new and unplanned voyage.

The terms used to describe Alzheimer's disease in people younger than 65 can definitely be confusing! Some researchers and patient advocates are moving to the term "Young-Onset Alzheimer's disease" to distinguish "early-onset" (younger than age 65) from "early-stage" (also known as mild dementia) which can occur at any age. Think of yourself as in the early stage also and allow time to realize that she is the same person she was the day before this diagnosis--and that your future together may be different than you had planned, but can still be filled with joy, purpose, and appreciation for the big and small things that matter to each of you.

Here is a. link to the Alzheimer's Association's page on Social Security Compassionate Allowances and a brief explanation:
The Social Security Administration (SSA) has added Younger/Early Onset Alzheimer's to the list of conditions under its Compassionate Allowances (CAL) initiative, giving those with the disease expedited access to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The Alzheimer's Association, a longtime advocate for those with early-onset Alzheimer's, has played an integral role in this movement to reduce the length of disability decision process.
The Alzheimer's Association also has a 24/7 help line that you can use to be connected to their resources: 800.272.3900

I personally know several people who have been diagnosed in their 50's ( a former communications director, minister and computer programmer) and have learned from them that living with this diagnosis is possible with love, support and a willingness to change "But what about..." to "Yes and..." For example, I know of a father who learned of his diagnosis and was encouraged by his doctor to make that bucket-list trip to his birth country with his wife and adult children. I would encourage you to also talk with an attorney who specializes in elder care law. My husband and I did that in March 2020 with COVID exploding and updated our powers of attorney, health care proxies and advance directives and felt great peace of mind as a result.

Several people with early onset Alzheimer's have written about the benefit of regular exercise (a dog that likes to walk can be a help in this!) and becoming involved in online or in-person support groups in which everyone feels comfortable sharing their own stories. The Alzheimer's Association may be helpful; they have trained facilitators: Support Groups

Please know that this community is sending warm wishes your way and hope you and your wife find many old and new friends to help you along the way.
4/4 and still an optimist!
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

boatman wrote:Hi I'm new to this forum. My dear wife just got an Alzheimer's/demential diagnosis. I'm terrified and overwhelmed. She is only 54 and it seems to be early onset type I think. The other day I read on a post something about social security compassionate allowances conditons. I'm struggling to figure out how I'm going to pay for my wife's care in the next few years and wondering how the compassionate allowances condition works or what qualifies someone to be eligible. Thanks in advance for any help.
Hi boatman,

Thank you to NF52 for sharing supportive services resources.

Welcome to the forum. We offer a multitude of resources through this site, and hope members can find a path forward to being their best health advocate for themselves or a loved one. I know it's an overwhelming experience. Many virtual hugs to you and your wife. One day at a time. Please take some time to look through the comprehensive Wiki, Our Stories, and don't hesitate to ask questions as you poke around. We also encourage members to take a look at the Primer. It's authored by a member physician with accessible science information.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Melissa
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

Hi Boatman,

There are many people here taking action to reverse or prevent dementia. You do not have to numbly accept the path that you see directly ahead. Are you familiar with ReCODE, the research that has been published, and the books? There are people here also diagnosed young and doing very well. I am relatively new and working as much of the program as I can for prevention, so hopefully the more seasoned crew will be along to comment further. Do not go quietly into the night....
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

JD2020 wrote:
There are many people here taking action to reverse or prevent dementia. You do not have to numbly accept the path that you see directly ahead. Are you familiar with ReCODE, the research that has been published, and the books? There are people here also diagnosed young and doing very well. I am relatively new and working as much of the program as I can for prevention, so hopefully the more seasoned crew will be along to comment further. Do not go quietly into the night....
Agreed JD2020! There is much advancements in science regarding the brain, and many breakthroughs that demonstrate we have much more control over the direction of our health than we were once told. I'm a huge fan of the Bredesen Protocol as well.
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
boatman
New User
New User

Post by boatman »

Thanks to everyone for the information. Let me digest the information and will follow up soon. Thanks to everyone this is a great site and great people and great resource.