New 4/4 overwhelmed

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Misha
New User
New User

New 4/4 overwhelmed

Post by Misha »

Hello everyone, I’m 51 and I’ve known my 4/4 status for a couple of years and have reached a place where I’m ready to face it. Im just not sure what that means. I can’t find a ReCode practitioner in Ohio so I’m going to start with some of the basics. I think I just want to know if what I’m doing is a good starting point.

I have IBS and don’t respond well to Keto so I eat Paleo. I will stop using MCT oil and lower my red meat consumption.
I got my BMI down to a healthy range around 23.
I’m starting to fast. Right now just 12-14 hours. It’s a struggle for sure.
I’ve added Krill oil and eat salmon and mackerel every week.
I’m increasing my exercise to get to the 150 minutes a week and occasionally use the Sauna as well.
I’m taking D3, sublingual B vitamins l, probiotics and turmeric
I haven’t had all the blood work because I don’t have a ReCode dr but my blood sugar numbers are good as are my cholesterol. D and B12 were low-ish.
I’m also meditating every day and making sure I learn something new most days.
Lastly, I am fortunate that I sleep really well. Early to bed 10pm and sleep straight through to 6am.

Okay, if you’ve made it through all that, thank you. I really do believe food and exercise can trump genetics. My Mom is 76 and still sharp but my Grandmother battled with AD for 20 horrific years. Her husband passed and she just shut down. Then the AD set in.

Anyway, any advice or encouragement welcome. And if anyone has heard of a good doctor in Ohio I’d love to know. Thanks.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New 4/4 overwhelmed

Post by Fc1345linville »

Hi Misha, I'm also 4/4, and I'm a 79 yr old male and brain-healthy, as far as I know.
About 50 years ago with no knowledge of my genetic footprint, I began daily exercise and a quasi-Mediterranean diet and lost 20 pounds. I have always gotten a good nights sleep, and in the past 15 years I have been taking pretty much the same supplements as you. I tell you this for encouragement, and I'm sure you will also hear from some of the very knowledgeable people on this forum with more specific ideas for your consideration.

Fc
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

Misha wrote:Hello everyone, I’m 51 and I’ve known my 4/4 status for a couple of years and have reached a place where I’m ready to face it. Im just not sure what that means. I can’t find a ReCode practitioner in Ohio so I’m going to start with some of the basics. I think I just want to know if what I’m doing is a good starting point.
Hi Misha,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you're on the track where lifestyle changes can make a difference, and genetics are not your destiny. You'll find a lot of encouragement in the forum. :)

I'd like to highlight our comprehensive Wiki where you can dig in to all types of information. There is a link in there for ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners in there. Are there any resources from the Cleveland Clinic that you can tap into? I'm not sure where you are located in Ohio.

We also recommend our Primer as a starting place for your journey. Authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele, the primer thread offers accessible science background and prioritized, sensible preventative measures. Feel free to use our handy Search Tool find more topics of interest.

We're here to support and encourage you through your journey of discovery. Enjoy sharing!

- Melissa
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Misha wrote: Anyway, any advice or encouragement welcome. And if anyone has heard of a good doctor in Ohio I’d love to know. Thanks.
You're doing great! Congratulations! In my opinion, what you are doing now is appropriate for someone who is 51, and I assume, making changes for prevention. Starting with the basics is a great way to start. Your 8 hours of solid sleep is impressive! Increasing your exercise, meditating and getting your BMI to 23 are also great steps to take to safeguard your health on every level.
As for the blood tests, a lot of the biomarkers can be included in a standard annual physical. One suggestion I have is to compare your biomarkers with the target ranges Dr Bredesen suggests in The End of Alzheimer's. He distinguishes between what is considered normal by most labs and what is optimal, in his opinion, for cognition.
My only other suggestion is that you take care about avoiding toxic exposure. I was somewhat careless regarding toxic in my earlier decades and had exposure that could have been easily avoided if I'd been paying attention!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Misha
New User
New User

Post by Misha »

Thank you! Your words are very encouraging.
floramaria wrote: Congratulations! In my opinion, what you are doing now is appropriate for someone who is 51, and I assume, making changes for prevention.
As for the blood tests, a lot of the biomarkers can be included in a standard annual physical. One suggestion I have is to compare your biomarkers with the target ranges Dr Bredesen suggests in The End of Alzheimer's.
Yea, I’m focusing on prevention at this point. I’ve read the primer and browses the Wiki but it is a lot to take in.

I did compare my blood test results to the info in the primer. But my annual test didn’t include much beyond blood sugar and cholesterol. Getting more bloodwork done is my next step. And I have Dr. Bresden’s book but I’m just not ready to read it. Every time I try I get overwhelmed. But, ince I have the bloodwork done I’ll probably find the book more helpful.
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

Misha wrote:
Yea, I’m focusing on prevention at this point. I’ve read the primer and browses the Wiki but it is a lot to take in.

I did compare my blood test results to the info in the primer. But my annual test didn’t include much beyond blood sugar and cholesterol. Getting more bloodwork done is my next step. And I have Dr. Bresden’s book but I’m just not ready to read it. Every time I try I get overwhelmed. But, ince I have the bloodwork done I’ll probably find the book more helpful.
This can be a lot of information to take in and quite the task to finding a knowledgeable provider. Maybe start with one or two small goals that are most important to you. It's wonderful you have started making changes for prevention and you found us!! :D
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach