Newcomer trying to find her way through the Maze!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
M Claire
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newcomer trying to find her way through the Maze!

Post by M Claire »

Here I've just come across a transcript (link below) of an answer given by a co-worker of Dr. Jason Fung who says, essentially, that OMAD will result in the same metabolic down-regulating as any other form of habitual caloric restriction (and apparently whether or not one actually begins the process of autophagy within only 23 hours is disputable???). So she recommends OMAD for maintenance and true intermittent fasting instead of restricted feeding for diabetics and people who need to lose a significant amount of weight, which is not my case, but possibly the case of my beloved family member. OMAD might be a sufficient intervention for me (running some level of ketone production at all time, reducing insulin production, and heightening insulin sensitivity), but not for others who need to lose more weight?

Can anyone speak to restricted eating vs real intermittent fasting (such as 5:2 or 4 days fasting, 3 days off) from an ApoE4 perspective? I admit that I am naturally drawn to simpler and more routine interventions, though admittedly 5:2 is not terribly complicated.

Answer from Megan Ramos: https://idmprogram.com/wp-content/uploads/QA-32.pdf
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

M Claire wrote:OMAD might be a sufficient intervention for me (running some level of ketone production at all time, reducing insulin production, and heightening insulin sensitivity), but not for others who need to lose more weight?
From my reading (all over the place, it will take a while to find a specific source), the key to remission from type 2 diabetes is weight loss, typically 10-15 kg (or more, if possible), and keeping it off. The method for achieving the weight loss doesn't seem to matter, whether it's restricting calories, restricting carbohydrates specifically or anything else. There are challenges both at the weight loss stage, and then again at the maintenance stage, so people need support to keep going. For people who need/want to lose a lot of weight fast there are now programs of 'total dietary replacement' that absolutely *need* medical supervision. But once weight loss reaches such levels blood sugar control is restored in most people as long as they haven't been diabetic for too long. (Over the years there is gradual loss of beta cells in the pancreas, so after many years of type 2 diabetes there isn't enough ability to restore functionality.)
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

OK, I read more of the Megan Ramos source. Yes, metabolism adapts to lower food intake. At the same time appetite increases after a while of calorie restriction, making it difficult to keep a calorie deficit going. But some of the things she mentions, especially eating less than 1200 calories per day require serious planning (maybe talking to a sympathetic dietician) because it becomes difficult to cover all nutrients in sufficient amount that way. Total Dietary Replacement plans do 800 calories per day, but those are non-food diets, entirely based on specially designed soups and shakes.