Introduction

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ABrain4Me
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Introduction

Post by ABrain4Me »

I'm new to registering, but I'm an avid reader of this board, and the previous board on 23&me. I'm in my late 50's, live in the Bay Area, and I'm an E3/E4, with family history of Alzheimer's. My Mom and her mother both had the disease, with my Mother's onset in her early 60's, and her mother's onset in later 60's. Appears that they both developed the disease with only 1 copy of E4 gene. I have 5 siblings, and 3 of us were blessed with 1 copy of E4.
I find that if I don't closely manage my diet, excercise, sleep, that my mental clarity and memory decline. Alcohol is big issue here, so i've eliminated as I notice huge negative impact on memory. Have been gluten free for almost 2 years- this was a game changer. Had mercury fillings removed earlier this year. See a functional physician. Just lowered my TC and LDL by 30 points, and all labs normal (my lp(a) was 14 last year). I'm borderline pre-diabetic. I'm a full believer that this is all about lifestyle, but have had trouble completely giving up sugar.
I also have run my 23&me raw data through other analyzers: Promethease, MTHFR Support.net, LiveWello, and NutraHacker, and in the process have learned that I don't make the enzyme DAO, which breaks down histamine.
Dealing with histamine intolerance has greatly improved my health and my mental clarity, my sleep. All these years i thought i had massive food allergies and it was histamine intolerance. I recently rid myself of 7 years of psoriasis, simply by going low histamine. I have to believe this also has a huge impact on brain functioning.
Thanks to everyone who started this board-- it's a wealth of information and hope for those of us with the gene and strong family histories of Alzheimer's!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Introduction

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, AB4ME; nice to reconnect with you. I just spent the weekend in San Fran. I'm supremely jealous of your locale :mrgreen: I'm guessing your strong family history must be very motivating. Congratulations on the positive changes you've already made. It's very cool that you can feel your mental clarity improve with each new strategy you employ. From speaking with Dr. Bredesen, he indicates that is very true. Patients who strictly employ each intervention get the MOST benefit. I look forward to learning more about you. Nice to have you back onboard the E4 express :D
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Glad you came to the party! Hope we keep hearing from you.

So sorry about your mom and grandma. Went through it with my dad, so know that path well. Hugs.

Congrats that all the changes you made have positively affected your health! Histamine, well, yes, several of us have issues with histamine from time to time. For me, it's always related to gut health. I don't have the DAO gene issue, so mine are rooted in IBS flares - still researching that gene set.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Welcome to the forum. You have made so many positive changes in your life already. You are to be congratulated.
I gave up wheat about the same time you did and it made a real difference. Being able to loose weight and keep it
off was the most significant for me. All the good things like better joints really happened with weight loss.
I'm glad you are with us. I'm in the Bay Area too. I'm a high seventies 4/4.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Starfish, you give us all hope!!!