Hello from Paul

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Hello from Paul

Post by pgf54 »

:) Firstly what a great site, so much info . Well I am 59 and just found out I am e3/e4.........No surprise or shock really just another piece of information to help me do what I am doing better and more seriously. I have always loved food and wanted to stuff myself until it was almost hard to breathe, I would never waste anything and ate everyone else's leftovers......I'm 5 foot 11inches(180cm) and at my heaviest weighed 202ibs(92kg). Why wasn't I bigger, well I became vegetarian at age 18 and rarely at fast food or soft drinks. I gorged on healthy stuff which proabably saved my life.
Dads brothers died at 56 and 60 , one having a massive heart attack. From when people began having cholesterol readings done I got mine done, always over the limit but not sky high, however triglyceride's about x6 what they should be. So I tried all the diets over the years from cabbage soup, to eskimo, to pritikin, to vegan to raw food and you know what , they all worked , because I was cutting down my intake , and consequently levels dropped to normal. However I never stuck at any. 30 years ago I was on two anti hypertensives and was reported as having a fatty liver on ultra sound. Three years ago my Gp said I had metabolic syndrome, high insulin and triglcerides. He suggested a high fat diet , I lost weight on it but did I feel unhealthy. So I stopped it and tried calorie restriction. All my levels dropped and I stopped the anti hypertensives, but I couldn't stop intermittent binges. Last year my blood sugars started elevating higher after meals and just above normal fasting levels. Wow a huge warning, then I made my best move ever, I switched to lo gi foods and no refined food at all and no sugar or added sugar at all.(except one square of dark chocolate)
Now I can stick to 1800 calories a day and although hungry at times it is not uncontrollable like before. (although if I eat hi gi or sugar, the cravings come back overwhelmingly, and it takes 2-3 days to get back on track.
My bsl's are down, blood pressure normal and I take no medications. I will recheck my lipids soon. My weight today was 74.8kg 11 stone 10ib.and although I used to drink one small glass of red wine I have since ceased this.
The e3/e4 just makes me all the more serious, and I view it as an incentive to stay well and healthy not a weight around my neck. We had no Ad in the family, but mum has just been diagnosed after five years mcd. She is overweight, diabetic and cant stop eating, and not interested in any diets. I am her carer.
Nice to find myself here , that's another benefit of having a e4 allele, lol............... :)
ps I have a snp rs9939609AA which apparently gives increased ghrelin production, the hunger hormone and increased fatty liver and type two diabetes risk. On mums side of the family diabetes goes back four generations and lots serious stuff years ago lkie gangrene and leg amputations............................
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello from Paul

Post by Michael »

Hello Paul!

Welcome to this great community. I've found that a high fat/low carb diet satiates appetite and improves the lipid profile/blood sugar levels. But we have a lot of very smart people here with various views that will chime in, I'm sure. I imagine you'll get some great info if you haven't already. Good to have you.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Welcome Paul. I can certainly relate to your problems with dieting. I went on my first diet when I was 11. I went
up and down from 140 to 255. Finally at age 75 I was dieting and doing well. Someone pointed out I hadn't been
eating wheat. They told me about the idea behind the book Wheat Belly. I bought the book and have kept off wheat
ever since. I think I was addicted to wheat like alcoholics are to alcohol. The moment I ate any, I just wanted more.
My weight is now stable. I finally feel free to get rid of my large clothes because I have confidence I can control
my weight which I never could before. Not eating wheat eliminates decisions for most problem foods. I think my
stomach has actually shrunk. I'm sure it never did before. I don't know if there is any chance of bringing the idea
about eliminating wheat to your mom, but it certainly worked for me. You are a responsible son to be helping your
mom. We older folks aren't always the easiest to care for. You are doing an admirable thing in helping your mom.
She is very fortunate to have you for a son.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Welcome Paul and congratulations on a great BMI.
I absolutely understand the sugar craving.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Paul, thanks for posting all that! And Welcome! I am intrigued by your mention of the ghrelin gene. Others here have heard me complain about my difficulty staying full, and how I wake up in the middle of the night "starving" and unable to sleep unless I get up and eat a bunch of food, and how fat and protein are of no help in this regard. I find I am heterozygous on that gene, but over 50% of people are, so maybe that's not my issue. Still, I wonder. Maybe the way it plays out in me is part of my problem. Thanks for the clue! Not to figure out how to quiet the ghrelin since protein and fat don't seem to work, at least at the levels I've tried boosting them to ....
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Hello to Paul from earth command, we have received your transmission and are analyzing your data stream on the apoe4 network. Acceptance to the apoe4 team is warranted and approved. Nanu, Nanu.

Ps. Hello Billy.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Welcome, Paul! And congrats on your progress.

Quick note about ghrelin: turns out, it might be really good [edit] for you! The actual sensation of hunger might be part (only part) of why calorie restriction [1] confers such extraordinary health benefits [2].

Best,
GB

[1] http://www.crsociety.org/

https://www.fightaging.org/archives/200 ... lained.php

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2622429/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 111957.htm

[2] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3614512/
Abstract
It has been shown that caloric restriction (CR) delays aging and possibly delays the development of Alzheimer's disease (AD). We conjecture that the mechanism may involve interoceptive cues, rather than reduced energy intake per se. We determined that hunger alone, induced by a ghrelin agonist, reduces AD pathology and improves cognition in the APP-SwDI mouse model of AD. Long-term treatment with a ghrelin agonist was sufficient to improve the performance in the water maze. The treatment also reduced levels of amyloid beta (Aβ) and inflammation (microglial activation) at 6 months of age compared to the control group, similar to the effect of CR. Thus, a hunger-inducing drug attenuates AD pathology, in the absence of CR, and the neuroendocrine aspects of hunger also prevent age-related cognitive decline.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pgf54 »

Hello and thanks for the replies, most welcome.

Michael I use chron-o-meter to chart my daily intake and it tells me I am averaging, 16% protein, 50%carbs and 34% fats.
The carbs are from mainly vegetables and beans and the fats from mainly nuts, avocado, olive oil and a little fish, or small amount cheese(a weakness)
Starfish 77 thanks I don't know to be honest if its wheat or sugar but now don't eat either, however last week whilst out ate two sweet biscuits and some gnocchi made with flour and a slice of bread and wham, I wanted to eat everything in the house. It took two days to get on track again.
Stavia hello, and thanks.
circular I tend to eat my salad lunch time and lots veggies steamed in the evening, I think their lo Gi helps .
welcomeaboard Hi , I'm glad to on board and Billy is Minni,
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Glad you joined up! And thanks for the ghrelin snp. I'm hetero there. I have my moments of craving, and like you, tend to come after I've eaten something high GI-carby.

Your dad's family sounds like mine. Heart attacks in their 50's and 60's. My dad had his first at age 61. He survived and went on to develop obesity and diabetes, among other things, and AD was diagnosed at age 80, although he had symptoms earlier. But he had several cousins who didn't survive - maybe they would have developed AD too with age. His aunt had AD, too, but no diabetes or obesity. So, not totally sure if the that ghrelin allele came from my dad or mom (my grandfather and great-grandfather both were, shall we say, generously sized, yet they lived to their 90's with faculties intact and no diabetes).
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Oh, and, yes, thanks for the tip on the ghrelin snp! I'm hetero on that. I remembered the snp number from my Promethease report, but didn't know that variation involves ghrelin.

I'm going to take this as a good thing ("good" being the word I confusingly/perhaps "Freudianly" left out of my earlier post). For us, CR will confer greater benefits.

GB

P.S. later edit: No, was looking at my Dad's data. I'm actually TT. That might be part of why I've always been skinny (and why CR, for me, means being, visually, too skinny!).