Big-Data Quest: precision medicine

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Big-Data Quest: precision medicine

Post by hill dweller »

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/ ... explained/

Dr. James Hamblin and President Obama discuss precision medicine. At 2:29, President Obama, "So much of what we label as a health-care system is actually more of a disease-care system. . . . Precision medicine . . . is empowering individuals to monitor and take a more active role in their own health."
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Big-Data Quest: precision medicine

Post by Julie G »

I loved this, hill dweller. What a compelling story... and the underlying message is so true for all of us. Personalized precision medicine via genetics is the wave of the future and I predict will be key to defeating Alzheimer's. FWIW, I loved Obama's characterization of healthcare as it's currently practiced- sadly true. For me, (with super sucky genetics,) one of the most hopeful morals of the whole Human Genome story so far is the enormous role epigenetics has been found to play. Thanks for sharing!
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Big-Data Quest: precision medicine

Post by Silverlining »

Julie..."super sucky genes"... I'm stealing it!! I'm in that same club, every bad damn snp each of my parents had, they gifted to me. In my family, I won the "super sucky gene" lottery, but I'm the sweetest one :lol:!