'nother Idea

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

'nother Idea

Post by circular »

How 'bout a CafePress online store selling products with our beautiful new logo? No upfront costs. Of course CafePress would get a cut (have no idea what percentage), but I think it would be easy set-up and low maintenance (?). I for one would love to buy an apoe4.info mug. Products could simply have the APOE4 design above to the left, or could say 'ApoE4.info/The Alzheimer's Gene Resource' as on the front page, and/or some other clever thing. I'm not sure if one storefront can have several designs.

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/shopkeepers ... make-money
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: 'nother Idea

Post by Julie G »

Really? Would anyone else be interested in merchandise? I kind of like the idea of a bumper sticker, T-shirt, or coffee mug to identify fellow brothers and sisters. It'd certainly be a conversation starter that would promote APOE awareness. I like it :D. If enough folks are interested, I'd be happy to start the process.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

They take 10% of your "royalty".

Although this doesn't really equate to a true royalty arrangement, which is typically signing a license agreement for use of an image, with an agreed upon percentage of the per unit wholesale price. They appear to set the item price (wholesale) and you then decide on the markup. As far as I can tell, they tax whatever markup you set with their 10% fee.

Been looking at the world of royalties for potentially licensing an image from my local museum.

That said, I'm not sure we'd have enough sales outside of our community to make this arrangement worth it, but if others want to sell branded items, we'll want to be careful with whom we partner.

https://www.bbb.org/louisville/business ... complaints
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

I'd buy some stuff. What would the bumper sticker say? "Friend of Julie G." a la "Friend of Bill W?"
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Actually 10% doesn't sound bad. If I'm not mistaken it's easy enough to set up that it wouldn't really matter whether or not there was much activity. Could just try for kicks and for free and see.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

LOL, Theresa. How about friend of TheresaB? That has a good ring to it ;). At this point, I'm just thinking we would use our logo without words unless someone else has an idea. That would be a way we could identify one another, kind of like a secret handshake. If we do want to consider words, here's a few taglines we've (jokingly) thrown around in the past:

-A Hero's Journey
-Genetics are NOT destiny
-Epigentics Rule
-Canary in the Coal Mine
-Outrunning Alzheimer's
-Authentic Ancestral Human

Share some more ideas with me before I reach out to get the ball rolling on this. The crazier, the better. Out of chaos comes brilliance.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Haha!

I think I would avoid 'Genetics are NOT destiny', just because for some people with deterministic genes they are, and anyone in this group could find themselves in that predicament.

If 'A Hero's Journey' may need to also offer 'A Heroine's Journey' ;-)

There's always the compound tagline 'Authentic Ancestral Human, AKA Canary in the Coalmine'

I sort of like leaving the word 'Alzheimer's' out of it so people have to ask. Otherwise their denial might cause them to just disregard. If they ask then a positive 'elevator speech' could follow :D

How 'bout ApoE4.info with an image of Batman swooping in?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

JulieGee,

Uh oh, you got me started. I admit some of these are outright bad, but we're brainstorming, right?

I may not be as evolved as you, but I’m working on it.
May the 4s be with you
Don’t get SNP-y with me!
Gene manipulator
Bet my genotype is older than yours.
Surviving since the dawn of man
I blame my ancestors
Reducing APP cleavage one strategy at a time
Don't just sit on your genes, DO SOMETHING!

I'd like to add, I like Authentic Ancestral Human.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

LOL, I love so many. My favorites:

-gene manipulator
-surviving since the dawn of man

Keep them coming!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

This is just a warm up for our public service announcements on TV :D