Plan B diet?

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
bexnews
Contributor
Contributor

Plan B diet?

Post by bexnews »

So maybe a dumb question - I am Apoe34 and trying to follow Gundry's suggestions. He does have a lot of them though. When I was paleo there was always a way to find food when at a restaurant or traveling - trying to follow the Gundry Apoe34 Matrix though seems very difficult/limiting at least where I live. So is it better to yield on eating grains, dairy or animal fats for we APOE4s in this kind of case?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Plan B diet?

Post by Stavia »

Very good question. I dont follow Gundry but travel a lot. I first eat cheese, then animal protein and only yield on grains if desperate. I'll have rice first, then sweetcorn and lastly bread if there is literally nothing else to eat for an extended period (like when we were traveling thru Cuba for 3 weeks last year).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Stavia, how funny, my order of what I'll compromise first on, among things I normally don't eat (or don't eat much of), is a lot like yours.

My more detailed list would be (most readily put up with at the top):

non-cow cheese (better fatty acid profile than most standard cow cheeses)
cow flesh of some kind
pig flesh of some kind
lamb
turkey
chicken
sweet potato
potato
cow cheese
rice
fruit
corn (or corn products)
wheat products (but only if I really have to)

But most countries seem to offer some reasonably acceptable fish, and a salad (though not so often in places like Cuba!). That's good enough for me, even if the portion of fish is often way too big.
Gigglemush
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

bexnews wrote:So maybe a dumb question - I am Apoe34 and trying to follow Gundry's suggestions. He does have a lot of them though. When I was paleo there was always a way to find food when at a restaurant or traveling - trying to follow the Gundry Apoe34 Matrix though seems very difficult/limiting at least where I live. So is it better to yield on eating grains, dairy or animal fats for we APOE4s in this kind of case?
As someone who consults with Gundry, I prioritize 1) eating real food, 2) not excessively spiking insulin. Eating effectively once a day means I only need to sort out choices once a day. Personally, I'd yield to animal fats, then dairy, then grains - in that order (which goes with not excessively spiking insulin, though whey in dairy will spike it significantly). In my case, if the choices are really bad, I just fast, but that's me.
Tincup
E3,E4
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Oh, and I meant to add that I, like George, simply fast when the choices seem bad enough. (Not sure what I'd do if I were in Cuba for three weeks, though. Bring along some nuts maybe, and try to find veggies [easy] and nuts [trickier] in markets.)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

From our July 2016 consult with Dr. Gundry -

"G: So the related question would be for the two of us, we have been very strict on your program, but if we wanted to travel and when we travel we get a place to stay where we can have a kitchen and we suss out places to buy the food and everything but we want to travel to someplace that’s doesn’t have, where this is not easy.

45:33
Don’t worry about it. I just really wouldn’t worry about it. Have a good time...

G: Okay

46:26
You know, you’re not going to do any long term damage by goofing off for a week. Unfortunately what we find is that when and we’re not talking about you guys, but sometimes people they fall off the wagon and then it’s really hard to get back on the wagon."

and from the same consult:

"G: When I look at your program I divide it into these major components: one would be minimizing insulin, low carb, high fat; minimizing lectins; feeding the gut biome; as an ApoE4 minimizing sdLDL, avoiding animal fats; avoiding bad oils/seed oils; not activating mTOR or spiking IGF1 by eliminating animal protein and also excessive carbs; eating raw as much as possible; fasting, consumption of polyphenols. Is that a fair summary?
41:25

Dr G: Yup, very good
G: Alright, so I have two related questions. One, I know ApoE4’s they are not ready to follow your program in total at all.
Dr G: (laughs)

G: How would you prioritize these components as to what they ought to be aware of at this point in their life.

42:00
Dr G: I think the main things that are easy to do you can certainly swallow polyphenols, that’s easy to do. It’s painless. I think the earlier they at least start making a shift towards less animal proteins and fats, probably the better off they’re going to be long term. "
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

G - that's what I thought but there were hardly any veggies. All that was available were cabbage, cucumber, a few tomatoes and very occasionally potatoes. And no nuts on the island. The nuts I brought I felt obliged to share with our guide as they were an unaffordable delicacy for them. I ate bread and cheese for 3 weeks.

Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

George: I like Gundry's pragmatism about just enjoying a holiday.

SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Your list must take into consideration if any food actually bothers you. I can't eat either wheat or dairy without major ill effects.

Stavia, I would have starved in Cuba, or been very, very sick. So, guess that won't be on my visit list any time soon. :o
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Wow, Stavia, that must have been tough. I probably would have tried to get by on mostly cabbage and cheese – well, and vitamin pills.