Omega 3 confusion.

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Omega 3 confusion.

Post by thjj »

I use it and haven't heard anything negative about it. DHA/EPA is my favorite supplement to take. It's my favorite bc I noticed it fixed my dry eyes and hypertension very noticeably.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
MadScientist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MadScientist »

I've been taking high DHA omega-3's for a while, but my new ReCode MD suggested Krill oil instead, said something about not having to convert something, not sure.....anybody have info on this?
ApoE 3/4, female, 63 yrs
MTHFR compound heterozygous
MadScientist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MadScientist »

MadScientist wrote:I've been taking high DHA omega-3's for a while, but my new ReCode MD suggested Krill oil instead, said something about not having to convert something, not sure.....anybody have info on this?
Ha! Answered my own question: https://zenpatient.com/blog/dr-rhonda-p ... lzheimers/

Krill oil comes as phospholipid DHA, which is broken down to DHA-lysoPC and is transported better across the BBB of ApoE4 carriers. Fish oil supplements 'generally' don't have the phospolipid form of DHA. It's still possible that regular DHA supplements are beneficial, but hedging your bets, get the Krill oil version. NOW, to discern whether all Krill oil supplements are of the phospholipid form....feeling skeptical.
ApoE 3/4, female, 63 yrs
MTHFR compound heterozygous