NYTs: What if you knew Alzheimer's was coming for you?

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: NYTs: What if you knew Alzheimer's was coming for you?

Post by laurie »

Julie G wrote:So happy you found us, Laurie! While aluminum is a likely contributor to Alzheimer's, it's important to bear in mind that there are many other potential contributors; insulin resistance, inflammation, multiple pathogens (viruses, mycotoxins, tic-borne illnesses, etc.) toxins (mercury, lead, cadmium, etc.), lack of hormonal and trophic support, other dysregulated metals (copper/zinc), and more. Aluminum, alone, is very unlikely to be the sole cause of Alzheimer's. We strive to keep the big picture in mind to best manage lots of moving parts to mitigate our risk.
Thanks Julie You are right there are most likely other contributing factors. However we know aluminum is a neurtoxin and we all (at every age) should be taking steps to reduce our exposure to and intake of aluminum. I was shocked when I compiled a list of the sources of aluminum in our daily lives. Here is the list.

Aluminum Cookware - Pots, baking pans, cookie sheets, dutch ovens, calderos
Safer Alternative – Stainless Steel, cast iron, porcelain, ceramic

Aluminum Foil – Safer Alternatives for cooking, use nonstick aluminum foil or parchment paper
For storage - plastic wrap between food and aluminum foil

Drinking Water – Aluminum in drinking water comes from alum which is used to purify
drinking water and cement lined drinking water pipes which leach aluminum.
Use pitcher style Brita Water filter to remove aluminum and keep silica in the water.
BEWARE: Some water filters add aluminum to the water.

Baking Powder – even aluminum free baking powder contains some aluminum
Safer alternative – make you own – recipe: 1 teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon corn starch (so it doesn’t cake)

Coffee/Tea Maker –the heating element in which the water is heated is usually made of aluminum
Coffee makers which have a stainless steel tube connected to the heating element
Drip Style : Krups Mocha brew, Jura Copresso MG 900, Bunn Velocity Brew, Keurig
Percolator: Faberware FCP 240-A (small), Faberware FCP 412 (large)

Alum – check your spice cabinet
Food – Products that contain baking powder (some baking powders contain Aluminum):
Pancakes, Frozen pancakes, pancake mixes, waffles, donuts, muffins, cupcakes, cakes, biscuits,
scones, corn bread, brownies, baked fruit and vegetable breads

Candy – Jelly beans, M&M’s, skittles – the dyes contain Aluminum Lake

Shredded Cheese and Salt – Alum (aluminum sulfate) or aluminum silicate are used as anticaking agents

Pickles – Alum (aluminum sulfate)

Antiperspirant - Most contain Aluminum, sometimes listed as Alum
Safer alternatives Arm and Hammer Essentials, Schimdts (there is a stick for sensitive skin which has no baking soda - baking soda causes skin irritation in some people)

Antacids most contain Aluminum Hydroxide
Safer alternative those that contain sodium carbonate
Pharmaceuticals -Prescription /over the counter
aluminum is used as a colorant, anticaking agent and astringent

Canker sore powder -Alum (aluminum sulfate)
Levothyroxine (Thyroid medication) – aluminum lake – Safer alternative 50 mcg is the only dosage that doesn’t contain aluminum lake
Domeboro – astringent– aluminum sulfate tetradecahydrate -Safer alternative – Epsom salts
Mutivitamins – colorant
Musinex 12 Hour – yellow # 10 aluminum lake
Citrucel caplets - FD&C Yellow 6 Aluminum Lake
Baby Aspirin orange - yellow #6 aluminum lake
Bayer Low dose aspirin safety coated - D&C Yellow #10 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Yellow #6 Aluminum Lake Safer atlternative Walgreens Low Dose Dye-free Asprin 81 mg
Centrum Multivitamins – sodium aluminum silicate (SAS) is present in some of the Centrum multivitamins

Cosmetics
Suntan lotion – aluminum oxide
Styptic Pencil – Alum (aluminum sulfate)
Lipstick – aluminum lake as a colorant

Look for and avoid these ingredients on food labels
Alum (aluminum sulfate), aluminum ammonium sulfate, aluminum calcium silicate, aluminum nicotinate, aluminum potassium sulfate, aluminum sodium sulfate, aluminum stearate, sodium aluminum phosphate, sodium aluminum silicate, aluminum lake (aluminum hydroxide or aluminum oxide (alumina))
Artificial Food Colorants – containing Aluminum Lake
Safer Alternative – Natural Food Colorants – Color Kitchen makes good colorants for frosting
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
Code Name Snow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Code Name Snow »

Thank you for the terrific article and allowing yourself to be interviewed. In one swift move, Ms. G gave a face and voice to the fear and uncertainty so many of us feel. Things have been a bit tougher for me lately. I am forgetting more words (which just kills me as a former wordsmith and occasional writer), directions, locations, conversations, misplacing phones, leaving the dogs outside, and the list goes on and on.....I am, in one word, scared. This article gave me hope.
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

There is so much we can do, so much hope. You're not alone, (((Snow.))) You got this. Let us know how we can help. xo
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

laurie wrote: Thanks Julie You are right there are most likely other contributing factors. However we know aluminum is a neurtoxin and we all (at every age) should be taking steps to reduce our exposure to and intake of aluminum. I was shocked when I compiled a list of the sources of aluminum in our daily lives. Here is the list....
Hi laurie, I've been wondering what you thought about the 'network' view of Alzheimer's that Dr. Bredesen writes and speaks about, and his perspective that we all have different 'holes in our roofs and need to plug as many as possible to stop the leaking' (paraphrased). It seems there are many neurotoxins we have to worry about. I really appreciate you sharing all your findings on aluminum, since I do think we need to pay attention to that. It also points up just how complicated our total protocol could get, since we probably need a similar list for other neurotoxins.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Code Name Snow wrote:Thank you for the terrific article and allowing yourself to be interviewed. In one swift move, Ms. G gave a face and voice to the fear and uncertainty so many of us feel. Things have been a bit tougher for me lately. I am forgetting more words (which just kills me as a former wordsmith and occasional writer), directions, locations, conversations, misplacing phones, leaving the dogs outside, and the list goes on and on.....I am, in one word, scared. This article gave me hope.
(((Snow))) ... what she said! I'm glad you found the forum. Many of us have suffered 'subjective cognitive impairment' (ie, not necessarily clinically tested and verified), perhaps especially mid-life women (?), and begun to improve by implementing many suggestions in these discussions. It's not always easy, but stick with it and it the more headway you make the less stressful it is.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:
laurie wrote: Thanks Julie You are right there are most likely other contributing factors. However we know aluminum is a neurtoxin and we all (at every age) should be taking steps to reduce our exposure to and intake of aluminum. I was shocked when I compiled a list of the sources of aluminum in our daily lives. Here is the list....
Hi laurie, I've been wondering what you thought about the 'network' view of Alzheimer's that Dr. Bredesen writes and speaks about, and his perspective that we all have different 'holes in our roofs and need to plug as many as possible to stop the leaking' (paraphrased). It seems there are many neurotoxins we have to worry about. I really appreciate you sharing all your findings on aluminum, since I do think we need to pay attention to that. It also points up just how complicated our total protocol could get, since we probably need a similar list for other neurotoxins.
Circular thanks for asking this question. I have been wondering the same thing. Here is a response from my husband Dennis N Crouse who is a chemist and has been reading the scientific literature for the past several years in order to help his mother who has Alzheimer’s.

I agree with Dr. Bredesen on his 3 types of Alzheimer’s. The 3 types are actually three phases of Alzheimer’s all caused by aluminum accumulation.

Type 1 inflammatory – There are at least 11 metals that create reactive oxygen species (ROS) in your brain. However aluminum creates significantly more ROS in the glial cells of the human brain than any of the other 10 metals. Because of this, aluminum is a physiological stressor that causes inflammation of the brain. Dr. Bredesen claims that inflammation causes a rise in your tumor necrosis factor (TNF). There is another perspective: aluminum has been shown to epigenetically cause a rise in TNF and this in turn decreases gene expression for methionine synthase required to lower homocysteine levels.
Tsunoda, M. and Sharma, R.P,; Modulation of tumor necrosis factor alpha expression in mouse brain after exposure to aluminum in drinking water; Arch. Toxicol.; Nov.; 73(8-9):419-26 (1999)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10650912

Type 2 – Dr. Bredesen’s Type 2 is actually part of the biochemical fingerprint of aluminum accumulation. Dr. Bredesen mentions that lower than normal levels of active vitamin D and higher than normal levels of homocysteine are usually the biochemical fingerprint of his Type 2 Alzheimer’s. Aluminum inhibits active vitamin D biosynthesis lowering levels of active vitamin D. Also aluminum inhibits the methylation of homocysteine resulting in an increase of homocysteine in blood plasma. Aluminum does this by both inhibiting the expression of methionine synthase and the activation of this enzyme.
Waly, M., et al.; Activation of methionine synthase by insulin-like growth factor-1 and dopamine: a target for neurodevelopmental toxins and thimerosal; Mol. Psychiatry 9, 358-70 (2004)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14745455
Waly, M. I-A., and Deth, R.; Neurodevelopmental toxins deplete glutathione and inhibit folate and vitamin B12-dependent methionine synthase activity – a link between oxidative stress and autism; FASEB J; 22:894 1 (2008)
http://www.fasebj.org/content/22/1_Supplement/894.1

Type 3 – Aluminum is neurotoxic and it kills neurons, inhibits neurite growth, and synapse development. It also interferes with calcium, as an internal messenger inside neurons, by modifying calmodulin’s calcium receptor site. People with the APOE4 gene produce more beta amyloid which forms neurotoxic oligomers that react with aluminum to form neurotoxic droplets (Nano droplets) of amyloid oligomers. These neurotoxic droplets are very stable and mobile in the brain and are “freezing” the amyloid in the oligomeric state. These beta amyloid oligomers are 10 times more neurotoxic than amyloid plaque.”
Drago, D., et al.; Potential pathogenic role of β-amyloid1-42-aluminum complex in Alzheimer’s disease; Int. J. Biochem. & Cell Biol.; 40:731-46 (2008)
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/18060826
Denise Drago - Aluminum Modulates Effects of βAmyloid1–42 on Neuronal Calcium Homeostasis and Mitochondria Functioning and Is Altered in a Triple Transgenic Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease 2008
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10 ... .2008.0761
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks laurie, it's great to get another angle on all this. Not being a scientist myself, it would be fascinating to hear how Dr. Bredesen might respond and whether he would consider reframing his types as AD disease stages from the perspective of aluminum accumulation. My suspicion is that he would consider aluminum to be one of multiple, simultaneous drivers of the same downsizing pathologies in the neural network, but I sure can't speak for him. I don't have time to look at the links at the moment, but I do think that if aluminum is a much larger player than the other metals that would be worth making clear. At the same time, could a cumulative effect of multiple other metals, if they were particularly high in some people, exceed the effect of aluminum alone? Some here have done extensive urine metal testing, and I think it includes aluminum. I'm holding out on that for now, partly due to expense and partly because honestly I don't know if the tests are valid.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: RE: Re: NYTs: What if you knew Alzheimer's was coming for you?

Post by drae »

Stavia wrote:
TheresaB wrote:
Stavia wrote:He looked at me and said "ok so you have a gene that means you have to live healthy with diet and exercise etc to be healthy. So how is that different to every body else?"
:lol: You raised a smart kid.
It was the most sensible thing anyone said to me in the context of apoe4.
Sounds like my son who said to me (during a game when I wanted to give up), "you are expecting to fail so setting yourself up to prove it."

Yikes!
Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Pivotal moments.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

I know that it`s a bad idea to be ashamed of having bad genes, but people can be prejudiced about them, life insurance companies, employers, even prospective marriage partners & in laws. A lot of people might think twice about marrying someone who might not only pass a disease on to any children they might have, but also become a burden to them a few years into the future. I can see a near future where we have genetic apartied, & people with bad genes are treated in exactly the same way that black people were treated in South Africa a few years ago.