ApoE4.Info on Evolving Past Alzheimer's Podcast

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

ApoE4.Info on Evolving Past Alzheimer's Podcast

Post by Julie G »

This past summer, I was honored to talk to my friend, Nate Bergman, a physician at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland who focuses on brain health, about my personal journey and the story of our community.

You can find the podcast below:
Episode #7: ApoE4.Info- One Woman’s Story of Getting Better
Julie Gregory Quote Image.png
I've listened to a few other editions and found them to be very relevant for our population. Below are different ways to access the Evolving Past Alzheimer's podcast.
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/evo ... 99915?mt=2
Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/listen#/p ... ipnuxnotji
Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/evolvi ... refid=stpr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ApoE4.Info on Evolving Past Alzheimer's Podcast

Post by CarrieS »

Thank you for sharing Julie G. I will definitely listen to these and subscribe to future podcasts!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Julie, you continue to be an inspiration and great spokesperson for this community. Well done!
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

I listened to your interview twice and got so much from it! Great stuff. I’m gleaning that the reason for the mildly ketogenic diet for ApoE4s vs a more than moderate ketogenic diet is that 4’s cannot utilize the extra fat in a more extreme version? I have been wondering whether a longer fast such as 18 or 20 hours would be beneficial or risky for 4s? My goal is getting insulin to be predictably stable. I feel better when I’m not eating so often but I worry that I might be stressing my hormonal system by fasting longer by eating in a smaller window. I’m confused. I’m assuming but do not know yet that I have at least one 4 because of my family history of Alzheimer’s, diabetes and heart disease. Have just sent my kit back to 23andMe.
I love this site so much and thank you so much for all your work!
Hughette
3/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for your kind words, jlhughette.
I’m gleaning that the reason for the mildly ketogenic diet for ApoE4s vs a more than moderate ketogenic diet is that 4’s cannot utilize the extra fat in a more extreme version? I have been wondering whether a longer fast such as 18 or 20 hours would be beneficial or risky for 4s?
That's my interpretation of the evidence. The fact that the frequency of the E4 (ancestral allele) remains higher in populations where an economy of foraging still exists, or food supply is (or was until the recent past) scarce and sporadically available suggests that our gene is designed to maximize nutrient/caloric absorption to better withstand famine. As such, I have concerns about achieving ketosis with large amounts of dietary fat without concurrent periods of fasting and exercise. A growing body of evidence, suggests that our genotype thrives on fatty acids as fuel but they may be best "earned" with periods of starvation and exercise.

Your state of health will determine the ideal length of fast for yourself. When I first began my E4 journey, I was insulin resistant (with sky-high cortisol) and it would have been impossible for me to fast for any extended period. I was even waking up to eat in the middle of the night. I had extreme reactive hypoglycemia and my blood glucose would drop precipitously. As my glycemic markers healed, I was gradually able to extend my fast; now up to 22 hours. In the winter, I feel best eating only once a day leading to significant levels of ketosis, without enormous amounts of dietary fat.

FWIW, I think that coconut and/or MCT oil can be extraordinarily helpful for folks with insulin resistance and the reduced cerebral glucose utilization that accompanies it. I share Dr. Bredesen's interpretation that it's best for our genotype to move away from this (exogenous ketosis) strategy as our glycemic markers heal and cognition improves and move towards the alternate strategy that I'm using. This is a very complex topic and open to multiple interpretations.
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

Ok thank you SO much, Julie. Because I seem able to easily fast for 18 or more hours, I was wondering if I was doing myself harm to do so, as there is a school of thought which says longer periods stress the adrenal glands. So, to mitigate that likelihood I was adding MCT or raw cream to coffee for instance. I have been hypoglycaemic off and on in my life due to lifestyle factors, and I think I am still somewhat hypoglycaemic now. But I feel quite well and energetic with a long fast without the extra fat so perhaps I will go forward on that basis. I am really happy to have this clarification. It is no fun experimenting with a diet to improve one’s health and worry at the same time it might be doing harm. Thank you again and be well!
Hughette
3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jlhughette wrote:Ok thank you SO much, Julie. Because I seem able to easily fast for 18 or more hours, I was wondering if I was doing myself harm to do so, as there is a school of thought which says longer periods stress the adrenal glands. So, to mitigate that likelihood I was adding MCT or raw cream to coffee for instance. I have been hypoglycaemic off and on in my life due to lifestyle factors, and I think I am still somewhat hypoglycaemic now. But I feel quite well and energetic with a long fast without the extra fat so perhaps I will go forward on that basis. I am really happy to have this clarification. It is no fun experimenting with a diet to improve one’s health and worry at the same time it might be doing harm. Thank you again and be well!
Can't tell you if it is good or bad, but I routinely fast 120 consecutive hours out of every 14 days, primarily for the apoptosis and autophagy benefits. On "eating" days, I fast for 22 hours. I work, do body weight exercises, strength train, rock climb, ski & etc even when fasted for 5 or 7 days. Not that I think that chasing high levels of ketones is necessary absent a reason to do so (cancer, seizures or if your brain responds well to them), but I do push my ketones up to 7.5 mmol/L on some fasting days. On eating days they are around 0.5 - 1 mmol/L or so. I also push my carbs as high as 180 g/day (with ~60 g/fiber) some days. One of my watchwords is variability. I want my body to be flexible.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

So interesting. I’m in my 60s now, but when I was a teenager, 20s, 30s and 40s I routinely did long fasts. Started with water fasts, then juice fasts with potassium broth and spirulina. They helped with histamine problems and phlegm I tended to have when eating. Once in my thirties, I rid myself of a constant runny nose and i was phlegm free for several years. I have been less inclined at my age to go that route again, but perhaps when I am more sure of my blood sugar levels being able to cope I will try again. Thanks so much for your feedback, Tincup. I’d love to know more if you care to share.
Hughette
3/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

jlhughettette, you describe a mixed clinical picture. You do well with long fasts, but still deal with hypoglycemia. Hmmm, from what I've learned, hypoglycemia doesn't occur in folks with a healthy metabolism. Our bodies have a built in defense against blood sugar dips with the creation of ketone bodies. Due to IR, mitochondrial defects, glucose transport issues; some of us (historically handwaving ;)) have problems seamlessly making that transition from burning glucose to burning fat. Here's an excellent presentation describing metabolic flexibility.

If you begin to experience hypoglycemia in the midst of a fast, does MCT help? As you continue to heal your metabolism, it might actually be a perfect transient utilization. When you've achieved metabolic flexibility, it may no longer be necessary. I find it really interesting to concurrently measure glucose and BHB to see the dips and falls and measure against my symptoms. When I was severely hypoglycemic, I would be VERY symptomatic with a BG of 55, but when I'm in ketosis, I feel perfectly stable with that same measurement. Paradoxically, I've seen my BG bump up from simply being in ketosis. In other words, if I catch a transiently high BG (for me- 90) I'll check BHB and find that I'm in fairly deep ketosis (2.0). Fascinating stuff for data geeks.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

I listen to the interview yesterday. Very good, inspiring and informative. Is glucotoxicity a different name for insulin resistant?

I will take an opportunity, since the part of discussion is about glucose metabolism, and ask a personal question:
I try to keep myself in mild ketosis all the time, and with no surprise I thrive in that environment, especially my brain, cognition in general. However, I have recently noticed that when I increase an amount of carbohydrates, and I am not talking about big pieces of cakes, desserts or anything with tons of sugar, just more sweet potatoes then usually, additional piece of gf bread or a fruit. It seems like my body/brain cannot handle it. I experience almost immediate slow down, sluggishness. I do not get tired or sleepy, I would say, I feel slightly foggy, if that make sense...
Is that a symptom of poor glucose metabolism, insulin resistant? I cannot figure it...
Like Tincup said: "I want my body to be flexible..." it does not seem I am there, and I do not really know how to get there?
The difficult part of my situation is that the biomarkers do not point toward IR, I think?
I also noticed that I cannot tolerate MCT oil (I use brain octan) anymore. Maybe it is just that brand. When I use it, I feel really anxious and jittery.
My last: A1C is 5.0, Fasting glucose : 86, no data on fasting insulin.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline