Our first Annual Report

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Our first Annual Report

Post by Julie G »

I'm very proud to share our first annual report below. Writing out our accomplishments over the past year has led me to reflect on our humble beginnings from the 23andMe forums where many of us old timers first learned that we carried the APOE-ε4 gene. I was just about to turn 50 when I learned of my 4/4 status and was already exhibiting some scary symptoms of cognitive decline. Back then, the Alzheimer's Association, reported that Alzheimer's was incurable, untreatable, progressive and fatal. Even worse, they claimed that it could not be prevented. The only consensus coming from the medical community, at that time, was to do daily crossword puzzles and take up square dancing :shock:. Intuitively, many of us suspected that there was much more that we could be doing to tip the epigenetic scales in our favor... and thus began our search and birth as citizen scientists.

It was that hope, the belief that I could heal, and the spirit of community and teamwork that kept me going. In the intervening years, we've learned so much together and created an amazing gene-centered "tribe" in the process that now serves as support for hundreds of members all across the globe. I feel very optimistic for our future and excited to further optimize my health for decades to come. I'm most proud of the fact, that no E4 carrier ever has to feel terrified, alone, and unsupported. None of this would have been possible without each of you, contributing, and making us better. Huge thanks to our hard working board of directors and the amazing Theresa who spearheaded this project and contributed her stunning photography.
ApoE4.info, Inc 2017 Annual Report.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Our first Annual Report

Post by Jlhughette »

This is beautiful, encouraging, inspiring and real!

I’ve ever enjoyed looking at a financial report of any kind as much!
Hughette
3/4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I have to agree with Jlhughette. I've never before enjoyed reading an annual report! It was well written and filled with hope. Great job and a huge thank you to everyone who worked on this project. Theresa, your photos are gorgeous and perfectly selected.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Excellent...so easy to send this to friends who want to know and understand what ApoE4.info is. Thank you great job!
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

Julie G wrote:I'm very proud to share our first annual report below.
You should be proud! This document is written with crystal-clarity, the design is gorgeous, and the message is inspiring.

Brian
ε4/ε4 (for now).
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Congrats on the report, and on the clarity of vision.

If you ever feel the need for advice on small-scale or n=1 trials so as to maximize the robustness of conclusions, I might be able to help.