Website suggestion to improve discussion cohesion

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

Website suggestion to improve discussion cohesion

Post by Roamingseer »

On other social networks, one can add a @ symbol before their screen name & the system can notify them that a specific person (again screen name) addressed them. This would be very useful. Thanks. G
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Website suggestion to improve discussion cohesion

Post by slacker »

Roamingseer wrote:On other social networks, one can add a @ symbol before their screen name & the system can notify them that a specific person (again screen name) addressed them. This would be very useful. Thanks. G
I'm not an expert on the technology used to support our website, but I suspect the the @ symbol is not supported or else we'd be using it. ;)

If you use the quote icon to respond to a post, the member you are quoting is notified that you have addressed them (as I have done with your post). Hope this helps.
Slacker
E4/E4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Another way to be notified when people comment on a thread is to click on the "wrench" tool on the bottom of the page to the right of "Post Reply". Click on the "arrow" and then click on "Subscribe Topic". You will then get an email notification when someone posts in the thread. It's not for a specific person but may be close to what you are wanting to achieve.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roamingseer »

@Slacker, to me the quotes add nothing but extra text to the discuusion, causing more pages for each topic. If you want to address a specific concern, simply copy that portion of the original text and put it in quotes.

@CarrieS, that approach is useable, but I still believe the @“username” has its place.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Roamingseer;

You might want to bring this up with our tech team. If there is a way to implement on our platform, perhaps you can help.
Slacker
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Roamingseer wrote:If you want to address a specific concern, simply copy that portion of the original text and put it in quotes.
Hi Roamingseer,

I just checked the documentation guide for our software, which is an open source forum product (phpBB 3.1), and it only allows for three ways to be notified by email when someone quotes you in a discussion or when you want to be notified of new posts on a topic:
  • Using the quote function
    Subscribing to an entire forum, such as Our Stories, or a forum topic (like this one).
    Bookmarking a topic (you can bookmark a topic, but not a forum).

Since I never know if someone has subscribed or bookmarked a topic, I use the quote function to be sure they know they have been quoted. We hope to have a "How-To" section in the Wiki soon, and have already included a recommendation that people quote only key segments of a user's posts.
4/4 and still an optimist!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

NF52 wrote:Since I never know if someone has subscribed or bookmarked a topic, I use the quote function to be sure they know they have been quoted. We hope to have a "How-To" section in the Wiki soon, and have already included a recommendation that people quote only key segments of a user's posts.
NF52, If you do create a how to section in the WiKi, please include the info on how to select only part of the message to quote. It wasn't Until a recent post, which was by Teresa, i believe, that I learned how to do that. What a great tip. For almost a year, I have been clicking quote in upper corner of the posting, and then deleting all the sections I didn’t want to quote. :oops:
Quite laborious on my iPad, where my fingertips made precision editing difficult.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote: ... please include the info on how to select only part of the message to quote. It wasn't Until a recent post, which was by Teresa, i believe, that I learned how to do that. What a great tip. For almost a year, I have been clicking quote in upper corner of the posting, and then deleting all the sections I didn’t want to quote.
I look forward to learning the trick. I've been doing it like floramaria :roll:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roamingseer »

Thanks everyone for your comments.

@slacker Thank you. I thought this was the tech team, but I’ve private messaged them.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Roamingseer wrote: @slacker Thank you. I thought this was the tech team, but I’ve private messaged them.
I'm not the tech team, but I'm pretty sure we have what we have. To do differently would require changing platforms, a massive undertaking.
Tincup
E3,E4