Join me in Supporting ApoE4.info

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
jcomrie
Contributor
Contributor

Join me in Supporting ApoE4.info

Post by jcomrie »

Dear Friends-

I have a quick reminder as the holiday season gets underway: ApoE4.Info, Inc. didn’t just fall out of the sky and land on the internet! Sounds pretty obvious, but for those of us who just stumbled upon this valuable resource in response to learning about our own ApoE4 status, it might seem that way. You may not be aware of the history and hard work that went into making (and maintaining) this information freely available to thousands of our members every single day. You can read About Us to learn more of our backstory. A small group of dedicated folks have put their heart and soul into creating many resources to help guide you as you navigate the often tricky terrain of living with an increased risk of both dementia and heart disease. We provide a guide for anyone Thinking about Testing, a Primer with basic information about the ApoE4 gene and step-by-step strategies to mitigate your heightened risk, a wiki to amass the current science and other topics of interest for our members as well as an active forum and Facebook Page. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication behind the scenes to keep ApoE4.Info running and growing to best meet the needs of our members.

My name is John Comrie and I am one of many volunteers for ApoE4 Inc. I am 70 years old and have overcome a number of challenges in my life. Some such as drug and alcohol addiction have been under control for a long time, but others such as heart disease with a quadruple bypass and diabetes were more recent. Although they are all still with me, they represent challenges I have faced and learned to live with. But in 2017, I discovered a new challenge that I have not yet overcome and am only now “learning to live with”. I discovered I had the APOE-ε4 allele (E3/E4) and as is typical of people with that gene, I also discovered much of my past health challenges, particularly heart disease and insulin resistance, can be common to people with this gene.

At the center of my plan to address this new challenge is my work with ApoE4.Info where I have found a group of people who have also been forced to grapple with these elevated health risks. As you know, many members routinely and generously share their doctors, their test results, their diet and daily protocols. Many of these strategies are now built into my daily life as I develop my plan to further optimize my health. Come join us as we face these challenges. Find a way to support us with your time, talent, or treasure with as little or as much as you can. You can learn more here. You are not alone. If you give, I know you will feel more connected to our group and in turn you will benefit more from our work.

John Comrie, QC, FCIArb, LLB, BCL
ApoE4.Info volunteer, Ranchos de Taos, New Mexico
______
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Join me in Supporting ApoE4.info

Post by Julie G »

John, thank you for sharing your impressive journey and for your work on behalf of our organization. You’ve already overcome so much. I’m confident that in time that you’ll soon feel more comfortable with the knowledge of your ApoE4 status.

This is also a great opportunity to thank all of our volunteers: our moderators, support team, interns and trainers, scientific advisory committee, facebook committee, development team, wiki contributors, tech team, board of directors and many other volunteers. (Who am I forgetting?) We couldn’t be here without each of YOU. Thanks also to our many donors. As the modern day canaries in the coal mine, we’re slowly becoming known in the broader Alzheimer's community as THE grassroots organization representing the face of this disease. I’m continually humbled by the generosity of everyone on our team. We should all be very proud of what we’ve created.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Join me in Supporting ApoE4.info

Post by hairyfairy »

Unbelievable! apoe4 is certainly the gift that keeps on giving! As if alzheimers wasn`t enough to be getting along with, now we have to worry about diabetes and heart disease!