Notes from WAF 2018

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Notes from WAF 2018

Post by Julie G »

I was honored to take part in the World Alliance Forum in San Francisco featuring healthcare game changers: Innovations in science, policy & business for healthy aging. It was attended by scientists, researchers, business and policy makers from many countries with a heavy Japanese attendance.

Neuroprotective and anti-aging innovations were presented that may have relevance for us as they become available. I felt most hopeful about the broader based anti-aging strategies. Some of the blood exchange/infusion procedures are showing a lot of promise and may end up being surprisingly accessible. Dr. Bredesen was the clear visionary in the room with a mastery of the biochemistry behind the drivers and potential treatments for multiple neurodegenerative conditions. Very inspiring.

I was also inspired by the overarching theme of cooperation, innovation and altruism exhibited by countries like Japan -currently the leader in both longevity and health span- that are successfully preparing for and caring for an aging population. Their plan for the elderly encompasses extending the healthspan so that retirement occurs much later... if at all. This is feasible given their age population distribution (many elderly/fewer young people) but can serve as an example for our elderly to stay engaged by serving in meaningful voluntary positions. They have a strong public health policy focusing on promoting health at ALL ages for the greater good.

If we do nothing to intervene our current trajectory, the US is on track to grow our Alzheimer’s population from 5.7 to 14 million by 2050 with spending growing from $277 billion (Including $186 in Medicare & Medicaid payments) to $1.1 trillion in that same period… while mainstream medicine still maintains it’s too soon to promote an early prevention message with broad themes like promoting exercise, a healthy diet, stress reduction and sleep optimization for cognitive health. They contend we need more evidence, the recommendations are far too difficult… and might even be dangerous. And we wonder WHY our life expectancy dramatically lags behind other industrialized countries with the overall quality of health (and healthcare!) continuing to decline as costs increase. We need a broad, cooperative and incentivized public policy directive to try to fix the status quo. Despite being the wealthiest country in the world, our healthcare system is broken and we don’t have a pill for that either.

When I juxtapose how our country is currently handling an aging population against those with successful models, it makes me proud to have been able to share our little rebel project: seeking knowledge, sharing information, and spreading our message of evidence-based actionable information and HOPE.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Notes from WAF 2018

Post by Tincup »

Julie G wrote:while mainstream medicine still maintains it’s too soon to promote an early prevention message with broad themes like promoting exercise, a healthy diet, stress reduction and sleep optimization for cognitive health..
Julie,

Thank you for attending and representing us!!

The cynic in me says where is the profit in the early prevention message...
Tincup
E3,E4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Yes thanks for the report Julie.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Thanks Julie.

It's amazing to me - and sad - that mainstream medicine could think that it is too early to eat right, exercise, make strong social connections, avoid head trauma, get enough sleep, and breathe clean air.

I was asked to give a local talk in a few weeks and this is the theme I chose....for my little town with very poor air quality, poor dietary habits, and a large number of former military who suffered TBIs. It's sad to think that recommending basic healthy habits would somehow be "too soon".

Thanks for the update and working to bring the mainstream medical fields along :)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

The cynic in me says where is the profit in the early prevention message...
I sadly agree. Much of the messaging has traditionally comes from large advocacy organizations like the Alzheimer's Association. "Alzheimer's can't be prevented" has been their tagline since I began my E4 journey six years ago. Fear mongering is really good for fundraising. That said, they're s-l-o-w-l-y changing. They now talk about risk factors you may be able to influence: head injury, heart-head connection, and overall healthy aging including diet, exercise for the body & brain, tobacco use, excess alcohol, and staying socially connected. They're also helping to fund the POINTER study which is the US version of the FINGER Study the first RCT using a multifactorial approach.
It's amazing to me - and sad - that mainstream medicine could think that it is too early to eat right, exercise, make strong social connections, avoid head trauma, get enough sleep, and breathe clean air.

I was asked to give a local talk in a few weeks and this is the theme I chose....for my little town with very poor air quality, poor dietary habits, and a large number of former military who suffered TBIs. It's sad to think that recommending basic healthy habits would somehow be "too soon".
I love that you're doing this, Fiver! We've had a half dozen other members do the same. Of course, it's not "too soon" for any of your recommendations. I've been doing a little digging and even found this CDC training document ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE–WHAT IS THE ROLE OF PUBLIC HEALTH? that encourages the dissemination of our message. Check out slides 21-28, good stuff! Unfortunately, despite this directive, public health officials spend much more time sending out surveys to define the scope of the problem, educating about the disease, promoting early diagnosis, and supporting caregivers. The prevention or risk mitigation message has been really slow to get out there.

My guess (being kind) is that many US physicians, researchers, and academics are hanging onto the old messaging out of habit or a lack of continuing education. We've been lead to believe that the "silver bullet" is around the corner for decades now despite hundreds of failed trials. That's what the allopathic medicine model is designed to provide; a pill for every ailment. That system works great for infectious disease, but not so much for the chronic diseases, like Alzheimer's, plaguing industrialized countries. Addressing chronic disease is much more complex and often requires a multifactorial lifestyle makeover.

There was an excellent panel at the WAF talking about this slow (nonexistent?) public health messaging in the US. One policy maker asked scientists, academics, and physicians when we could begin to make lifestyle recommendations to promote cognitive health despite imperfect evidence? Other policy makers challenged mainstream medicine to loosen control of the messaging given the potential for benefit vs. risk of harm with these basic lifestyle interventions. Given the long prodromal period (decades) there's absolutely no reason not to be making general lifestyle recommendations. BTW, check out this recent article in Discovery Magazine highlighting the importance for healthy lifestyle choices for cognitive health.
genie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by genie »

Thank you for your efforts, Julie! Each one of us here is an incarnate guide for others, meaning we're here to spread the word to those in our circles by being role models, living the new and improved, often medication-free lifestyle as an example for others to follow. We represent the leading edge of change -- the medical community, big pharma, nutritionists, government, etc. are always the last parts of society to change (they're lagging indicators). Don't let them stop you -- BE the Light and light the way for others! Change is inevitable.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead