Too soon for Alzheimer's Prevention?

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Too soon for Alzheimer's Prevention?

Post by thjj »

Julie G wrote: I can envision a public health campaign that piggybacks on Warren Buffets's metaphor below. If I knew the first car I got would have been my only car, I would have taken much better care if it. How about you?
When I was sixteen, I had just two things on my mind - girls and cars. I wasn't very good with girls. So I thought about cars. I thought about girls, too, but I had more luck with cars.

Let's say that when I turned sixteen, a genie had appeared to me. And that genie said, 'Warren, I'm going to give you the car of your choice. It'll be here tomorrow morning with a big bow tied on it. Brand-new. And it's all yours.'
Having heard all the genie stories, I would say, 'What's the catch?' And the genie would answer, 'There's only one catch. This is the last car you're ever going to ge tin your life. So it's got to last a lifetime.'

If that had happened, I would have picked out that car. But, can you imagine, knowing it had to last a lifetime, what I would do with it?
I would read the manual about five times. I would always keep it garaged. If there was the least little dent or scratch, I'd have it fixed right away because I wouldn't want it rusting. I would baby that car, because it would have to last a lifetime.

That's exactly the position you are in concerning your mind and body. You only get one mind and one body. And it's got to last a lifetime. Now, it's very easy to let them ride for many years. But if you don't take care of that mind and that body, they'll be a wreck forty years later, just life the car would be. It's what you do right now, today, that determines how your mind and body will operate ten, twenty, and thirty years from now.”
I find Buffett's metaphor interesting. He is 88 y.o. & still doing great, even though most of his adult life his diet hasn't been healthy. I read his biographic tome years ago, and he drinks Coke all day, and eats a Dairy Queen burger and ice cream for lunch every day. (He does invest in Coca-Cola and Dairy Queen, but that makes sense as Buffett only invests in companies that he believes in or whose products he abides by.) Buffett has always been a little pudgy around the waist but obviously has a very sharp intellect. TBH I think if he ate healthy, he would be in even better shape, physically AND mentally. He has good genes. Unlike one of his sons who has battled obesity all his life & whom the elder Buffett has pestered him about (and who btw is in line to succeed his father at Berkshire Hathaway). When I thought I ate bad, even I didn't eat the junk that Buffett does everyday; if I did, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make it to 88 :|
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
andyful20
Contributor
Contributor

Post by andyful20 »

I’m one sick canary. - but happy to discover your taking it to “ the people”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IrishGal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IrishGal »

Thanks. I am also going to copy for my adult children. My Dr gave me some sensible diet, exercise info but I didn't get motivated till I found I have a gene and plaque. Targeting folks like the non-smoking campaign might help. The first car story should be stressed!
andyful20
Contributor
Contributor

Post by andyful20 »

IrishGal wrote:Thanks. I am also going to copy for my adult children. My Dr gave me some sensible diet, exercise info but I didn't get motivated till I found I have a gene and plaque. Targeting folks like the non-smoking campaign might help. The first car story should be stressed!
Re- 1st car story ? Meaning? Thanks A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Re- 1st car story ? Meaning? Thanks A
It's just a metaphor (car = body/brain) quoted on the top of this page.