passing on APOE4 to kids

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
tamrahargus
New User
New User

passing on APOE4 to kids

Post by tamrahargus »

ive been on pins and needles waiting to find out if i passed my 4 to my daughter. today we found out she is a 3/3. so happy for her. my son refuses to find out his status. he was really close to my 4/4 mom. :(

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
gmpicket
Contributor
Contributor

Re: passing on APOE4 to kids

Post by gmpicket »

My Dad apologized to me for passing his 4 to me. He also helped me a lot with research and learning about Alzheimers in hopes that I can prevent it or ward it off.

(My Mom is 4/4. And Dad is 3/4 - we had the whole family tested including my sister. I'm 4/4 and my sister is 3/4.)
dcox
Contributor
Contributor

Re: passing on APOE4 to kids

Post by dcox »

tamrahargus wrote:ive been on pins and needles waiting to find out if i passed my 4 to my daughter. today we found out she is a 3/3. so happy for her. my son refuses to find out his status. he was really close to my 4/4 mom. :(
Welcome to ApoE4.info tamrahargus!

I'm happy for you and your daughter as you learned her ApoE status. Sometimes it's hard for family members to decide to do the testing, and not being tested is OK too. Most of my family is hesitant to do any kind of DNA testing and I don't push it since we really don't have to know in order to make lasting lifestyle changes that will benefit every part of our life and that will improve how the genes we do have are expressed. So try not to feel bad if your son doesn't want to be tested, let him know it is OK and that lifestyle choices can really affect his overall health no matter what his status is. That's the beauty of how are body's are made, they will tell us if we are making good choices when we pay attention to them and "feed" them well.

If you have done any poking around this site I'm sure you have noticed the vast amount of information here, we have a amazing community of people of all different backgrounds and stages of reversing, preventing, and conquering AD, dementia and cognitive decline, all working together to give each other support and most of all hope.

Here are a few pages that will give you great places to start taking a deeper dive into the site: the Wiki Page, where you will find some more in depth topics; "How-To" get the most out of the APoE4.info website page, it is very easy to use and will allow you to spend your time on the site more efficiently. I also highly recommend the Primer it's a great place to glean information even if you already have a good handle on AD, it was written by Stavia, one of our most active members who is also a doctor, and is E4/E4 herself.

Here is a page from the Wiki that might give you some insight into why some people do and why some people do not choose to test for ApoE4 Thinking About Testing?. Know that we don't have to know our status to prevent AD.

The stories people share about their experiences are kind of the glue that connects us all here at ApoE4.info, so we would love to hear more of your story when the time is right for you. You can share your story here Our Stories. Please feel free to jump into any of the conversations with your experiences, ask questions and explore.

We look forward to hearing more about your journey as you share and learn along with us.

Find your joy and hope in each new day and each new discovery along your path,
Deb
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Enrolled in Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches
Choose Hope