I NEED HELP...Family resistance

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
deltaboy55
New User
New User

I NEED HELP...Family resistance

Post by deltaboy55 »

Hello

I don't know where to start. My mother has the APOE4 gene, I have been doing everything in my power to help my mother but I am getting huge resistance from my Step father and his family. Ive been told to stop the woo woo medicine and let it be. I can't do that as i Know the science behind Recode is legit. Please I am begging for some help on what to do. I'm losing hope.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I NEED HELP...Family resistance

Post by slacker »

deltaboy55 wrote: I don't know where to start. My mother has the APOE4 gene, I have been doing everything in my power to help my mother but I am getting huge resistance from my Step father and his family. Ive been told to stop the woo woo medicine and let it be. I can't do that as i Know the science behind Recode is legit. Please I am begging for some help on what to do. I'm losing hope.
Hi delta;

I have had a similar experience, and have some understanding of what you are feeling. My brother was diagnosed with AD in his late 50's and is considered disabled because of it. His wife, who is a nurse practitioner, was not interested in reading about the Bredesen protocol or trying to implement any kind of lifestyle changes. My initial response was similar to yours - thinking about quitting my job, moving closer to my brother so that I could take over his care - then realizing that as soon as I returned home, nothing that I was able to put in place would continue. Ultimately, I had to accept that the decision was out of my hands. What I can do is keep in touch by phone, tell my brother stories and jokes that will delight him, and not expect him to remember any of what we've discussed two minutes later. He is still excited to hear from me, knows who I am and that I care about him.
Slacker
E4/E4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

deltaboy55 wrote:Hello I don't know where to start. My mother has the APOE4 gene, I have been doing everything in my power to help my mother but I am getting huge resistance from my Step father and his family. Ive been told to stop the woo woo medicine and let it be. I can't do that as i Know the science behind Recode is legit. Please I am begging for some help on what to do. I'm losing hope.
Hello deltaboy55 and Welcome to the community.
I lost my mother and her mother to AD so have also felt that sense of urgency and frustration to the resistance to try even some of the easy dietary changes when relatives and friend's parents are showing signs or have been diagnosed with AD. I haven't found a method to pass along to help you but like Slacker, had to come to terms that the decision was out of my hands. What I HAVE done is that I've talked about what I do as a 4/4 to decrease my chances of developing the disease and try to keep it really simple and achievable. If we have a meal together, I try to lead by example and volunteer to gather ingredients and cook it showcasing easy methods and combinations that support brain health. I've found that people get overwhelmed and think that some of the dietary changes will be just too hard to achieve or won't taste good. My favorite Aunt (85 yrs old) has AD and gobbles up the flavorful food that I bring (when I've been assured that she only wants ice cream, bread and sugary treats so won't want to touch it). My Uncle has noticed and has made a few changes to their diet. When there isn't anything else that I can do, I visit and enjoy the time we have together and let my Aunt know how much I love her. Hugs to you. Carrie
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
DebS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebS »

deltaboy55 wrote:Hello

I don't know where to start. My mother has the APOE4 gene, I have been doing everything in my power to help my mother but I am getting huge resistance from my Step father and his family. Ive been told to stop the woo woo medicine and let it be. I can't do that as i Know the science behind Recode is legit. Please I am begging for some help on what to do. I'm losing hope.
Hi deltaboy55. I feel for you as I too have a mom I know could benefit from The Bredesen Protocol. She has admitted noticing the changes but has said that if it is going to get worse, she prefers not to know. It is very difficult to see a family member stick their head in the sand like an ostrich when we know there are changes they could make to help the situation. The good news is that this site is full of wonderfully supportive members. Here we have an opportunity to relate to others in similar situations and to learn prevention strategies for ourselves. I agree with Slacker and CarrieS that we can work on ourselves and act as role models the best that we can. Others do notice what we do. My mom has begun to change her diet in small ways but at her own pace. Even the small changes seem to be making a difference.

Please feel free to ask any questions. In your information gathering, I suggest starting with our Primer written by Dr. Stavia. There you will find general information as well as prioritized prevention strategies. You may also find our"How-to" guide helpful for learning techniques like how to quote so your response generates a notification email to the person to whom you are responding or how to subscribe to a thread.

I look forward to your future posts!
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Certified Reversing Cognitive Decline
deltaboy55
New User
New User

Post by deltaboy55 »

thank you all for the replies. I think I will try and lead by example and see where that takes me. I don't want to give up on my mother.

Thank you all.