Rep - Hyperabsorption Cholesterol Balance & Fatty Acid Balance Results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Rep - Hyperabsorption Cholesterol Balance & Fatty Acid Balance Results

Post by rep »

Do others agree with what GenePoole said (see below)? Do I need to cut back on eggs and avocados? What should I eat for breakfast instead? What would I eat for fats instead of avocados and olive oil? I NEED fat to feel satiated. I would become very short-tempered if I felt I were starving all the time.

Also, exactly what are high oleic oils? What are the brand names and where do I buy them and do others agree with that part of GenePoole's recommendation?

GenePoole said
maybe two eggs a week at the most occasionally, cut down avocados to <1 a week, you can use say a tsp of guacamole instead. I do the same. instead of evoo try high oelic oils which is mostly all mono's or alternate as I do.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

rep wrote:Do others agree with what GenePoole said (see below)? Do I need to cut back on eggs and avocados? What should I eat for breakfast instead? What would I eat for fats instead of avocados and olive oil? I NEED fat to feel satiated. I would become very short-tempered if I felt I were starving all the time.

Also, exactly what are high oleic oils? What are the brand names and where do I buy them and do others agree with that part of GenePoole's recommendation?

GenePoole said
maybe two eggs a week at the most occasionally, cut down avocados to <1 a week, you can use say a tsp of guacamole instead. I do the same. instead of evoo try high oelic oils which is mostly all mono's or alternate as I do.
IMO stay on what we decided Rep until you see your lipidologist. Its bringing down your insulin resistance. What we helped you with is IMO safe until you have your consultation with one of the top lipidologists in the USA. You are very lucky to see him soon.
Gene, have you got studies to back your recommendation to Rep in terms of her specific biochemical parameters and her high CVD risk?
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Rep - It is puzzling. One thing I tried and so far in me, seems to make a pretty significant difference, is using psyllium husk. This was suggested based on the fact if E4's have clearance issues and hyper absorb from the intestine, supplementing this may help. Ive done 2 experiments, where I take 2 tablespoons in the morning and 2 at night. In me, on both occasions, it dropped my TC/LDL significantly. I still ate avocados and EVOO, just didnt overdo it. Its now become my daily regime.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Ski wrote:Rep - It is puzzling. One thing I tried and so far in me, seems to make a pretty significant difference, is using psyllium husk. This was suggested based on the fact if E4's have clearance issues and hyper absorb from the intestine, supplementing this may help. Ive done 2 experiments, where I take 2 tablespoons in the morning and 2 at night. In me, on both occasions, it dropped my TC/LDL significantly. I still ate avocados and EVOO, just didnt overdo it. Its now become my daily regime.
That's interesting, I was under the impression that the husk was mostly insoluble fiber: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-pr ... crutinized
Psyllium husk, which is the popular type of pysllium fiber found in most supplements, comes from the exterior of the psyllium seed and is almost entirely insoluble fiber. It bulks up your poop and can help move things along, but it’s pretty much an inert polysaccharide. Your gut bacteria can’t do much with it, let alone your “own” digestive system. If you need to fill a toilet bowl, psyllium husk will do it.

Psyllium seed powder, however, is mostly soluble fiber. That means it’s a prebiotic, fermentable fiber that can feed and support your gut flora and spur the creation of beneficial short chain fatty acids like butyrate. In fact, psyllium seed has been shown to increase butyrate production by 42%, an effect that lasted for two months after treatment.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

I was under the impression it contained both. Regardless, it works for me and there are numerous studies showing its cholesterol lowering effect. I suspect the fact that it helps move things along thereby reducing the time in the intestine is a factor as well.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

I started on one tablespoon of psyllium husk about 2 weeks ago.

Here's an interesting tidbit about me that Ski's post brought to mind. I don't know where in the digestive system the cholesterol is absorbed. I would guess it is in the small intestine and not in the colon. Someone enlighten me. Anyway, I do have a redundant colon. I found out 6 years ago when I had my colonoscopy. They weren't very happy about the additional time it took to scope me since it disrupted their schedule. Funny thing is that my best friend also has a redundant colon. (And if I have a redundant colon who's to say I don't have a redundant small intestine too and it's just that nobody has detected it yet.) I am "regular" though.

Based on Ski's info I think I will also take psyllium in the morning. I don't see how that could hurt.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

That particular post from Mark Sisson is not something that I would pay attention to. I generally think he's a smart and interesting guy, but he's by no means anybody's go-to person on this topic. I remember reading his material on fiber and comparing it to various other literature and deciding he was NOT THE GUY on this. I don't think there is any question at all on the issue of whether psyllium husk is a good source of soluble fiber. It is. Yes, there's also a lot of insoluble fiber in there and I suspect the paleo people who act like insoluble fiber will somehow hurt you are probably just being contrarian.

Good luck, rep. And be very careful who you listen to, including me.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

marthaNH wrote:That particular post from Mark Sisson is not something that I would pay attention to. I generally think he's a smart and interesting guy, but he's by no means anybody's go-to person on this topic. I remember reading his material on fiber and comparing it to various other literature and deciding he was NOT THE GUY on this. I don't think there is any question at all on the issue of whether psyllium husk is a good source of soluble fiber. It is. Yes, there's also a lot of insoluble fiber in there and I suspect the paleo people who act like insoluble fiber will somehow hurt you are probably just being contrarian.

Good luck, rep. And be very careful who you listen to, including me.
Good call, good to know! I had dismissed the idea of supplementing extra fiber up until this point. I found this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3277 ... t=Abstract

I wonder how something like this might compare, which packs on a bunch of diversity (I use the B vitamins from DFH.)
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

I agree with martha.....I didnt want to say anything about the MDA site, but I for the most part take what gets said there with a grain of salt. There are some interesting articles but the propaganda that they spew out of that site, amazes me sometimes.

rep- I wouldn't think 1 TBS would be enough but what do I know, I always go for the biggest bang for the buck :D
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

This is the stuff I take & it says it has total fiber of 7 g/serving (2 tablespoons), 6 soluble, 1 insoluble http://www.nowfoods.com/Whole-Psyllium-Husks-12oz.htm
Tincup
E3,E4