Updated NMR LipoProfile results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Updated NMR LipoProfile results

Post by asiagillett »

RBK,
I actually make these "bars" every year when we travel to Kansas to see my husbands side, the land of Crisco. I use almond butter, silken tofu, protein powder and fresh fruits (blueberries and cherries usually). I have never been able to find dried fruit that doesn't have as much sugar as a Boston Cream Pie! If you want the recipe I can shoot it over.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Yep, recipe please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RBK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RBK »

Recipe would be great! Thank you!

I use only dried fruit with no added sugar. The carbs to protein ratio stays around 3:1 for the bars I make for running purposes, but you can easily alter the recipes to be whatever ratio you like. There is a pumpkin one I made last weekend that is 1:1. All of the new recipes I'm trying are from this book: I can't recommend this book highly enough! I've been making my own granola-ish type bars for years, and these recipes are amazing! Very either in line with what we need to be eating or easily adaptable. I'll type out my two faves so far when I have the book in front of me and some time.
Janpeter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janpeter »

On Amla. Not sure what the effects of Amla are going to be on my upcoming NMR. Perhaps I've skewed my high MFA low SF experiment again by bring in another variable :? That plus the 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds that I've started taking. However, I'm thinking from what I've read that both are staple foods with hopefully no real side effects. I too am curious about the true mechanism of Amla's cholesterol mediating effect. Thanks GB for your input on that. Julie, I find your Facebook reference of Kiwi's effect on cholesterol very relevant. Kiwi is also known as Chinese gooseberry and Amla is Indian gooseberry. So it seems these two fruit share something that modulates cholesterol.

Merouleau and Russ. I am using about 4 flat teaspoons of Amla powder in divided doses a day. It is the whole fruit ( probably freeze dried) powder and not a concentrated standardized extract. I will have to do some more research on how big a difference this makes. Depending on the NMR results I may have to go lower. I appreciate fully Julie's concern...if it is truly that potent than it may be doing more than desired from a neuro-protective view. I am the last to be fixated at lowering cholesterol at all costs. You could take red yeast rice for instance, also a so called "natural" product to lower cholesterol, but in actuality is just a "mild' statin.

It all goes back to your comfort level on supplementation in general. I'm sure that among my expansive supplement arsenal there may be a couple that perhaps are somewhat harmful. That is why one needs to be cautious while also proactive. It's a tough balancing act. That's the value of this forum...we can all share our concerns and insights. :D
APO E3/4
Janpeter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janpeter »

Just found this on the product I'm currently using.
https://www.superorganicfoods.com/produ ... cts_id=147
APO E3/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I didn't know about the kiwi connection. Very interesting; thanks Jan Peter!
Janpeter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janpeter »

Sorry all, but I should have researched before I posted. Despite both being called gooseberry the kiwi is of the genus Actinidia while Amla is of the genus phyllanthus.
APO E3/4
Hepoberman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hepoberman »

Bump. I've been thinking about copying the new data from longecity but that might be considered a heist? :roll:

Any chance the op could give us an update? Any chance a mod can get the off-topic junk out of this thread, its near insanity to an OCD guy like me.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Hep are you a diagnosed OCD or just making a comment? Thanks
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hep, please consult the Longecity guidelines to see if you can copy. Most forums prohibit it without the poster's permission. Or, maybe PM James directly and he can share the info. We'd all love an update.

Re. off-topic junk; apologies. We need to work on it. All, please help us moving forward by trying to stay on topic.