New Technology Toothpaste that Greatly Reduces Plaque

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Technology Toothpaste that Greatly Reduces Plaque

Post by Jan »

That's an interesting question, NewRon. I do oil pulling (with coconut oil), but to my knowledge have never encountered leakage. Though, I would think any leakage would be really minimal ... Thoughts from others?
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Minimal?

You should have seen the state of us after the winetasting!

:o
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Hmmm ... might it have been semi-voluntary with the wine?? Either that, or perhaps we should consider an epidemic of upper esophageal sphincter looseness ...
mrc cfnc fmchc
E2/E2
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

LOL!

I can assure you that ALL of my sphincters are in excellent operational shape ;)

Actually no, we were doing our very best to mark accurately all the wines, whites, rosé's and reds and with a vast array, we had to be as abstemious as possible. So I think a lot of stuff gets absorbed through the mouth and gums.

I was reading about polyphenols recently and apparently they're mainly absorbed through the mouth and once they're swallowed, the absorbtion rate declines drastically. So the mouth is very efficient at absorption (just hopefully not coconut oil for the sake of my LDL) as I quite like the taste of it...
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Way more absorption than I realized, apparently ...

Bioavailability of the polyphenols
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2871118/

The Reciprocal Interactions between Polyphenols and Gut Microbiota and Effects on Bioaccessibility
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4772042/
mrc cfnc fmchc
E2/E2
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

I've NO idea what any of that says, too many big words like marmalade!

Any chance of a two line synopsis...please???
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

You mentioned your reading recently about polyphenols and absorption ... having never (consciously) experienced any absorption through oil pulling, I wanted to do a little research about the subject. The bioavailability (how much the body can use them ---- ie, "take them in" in some way --- varies widely (hence, the studies). That suggests that your thoughts that significant amounts of coconut oil could be "absorbed" during oil pulling is quite probably more likely than my earlier belief that only a negligible amount could be "bioabsorbed."

Because of my familiarity with GERD issues (a close family member), and before looking at the two articles, I thought there must be some physical issue for so much absorption ("loose" upper esophageal sphincter operation). Now, I think I should pay more attention to absorption.

Does that explanation help?
mrc cfnc fmchc
E2/E2
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

More than two lines ...but no big words like marmalade ('negligible' was a bit dodgy, I will admit) ;)

But it's brill, many thanks, Jan!

I might loosen my upper eosophageal sphincter voluntarily shortly, to accommodate ingestion of polyphenols....purely in the interests of science, you understand...
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Well, brevity is the soul of wit - but not of former teachers. I am positively disposed to words.

And, clearly, we all have a duty to science. :!:
mrc cfnc fmchc
E2/E2
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

After about 10 days of oil pulling (I missed 2 due to travel) with coconut oil, a brief review.

The coconut oil is delicious. Just don't take a lot as saliva will at least double the volume of liquid in your mouth.

I noticed that my post nasal drip increases hugely while pulling, further contributing to the oral volume.

My gums feel tender ever since I've started, they throb ever so slightly a lot of the time and I have to be careful now while brushing. I don't think I've gum disease, it's never been mentioned by the dentist. The only thing that's ever mentioned is teeth staining (from green tea, apparently).

I do think that there is some eosophageal leakage, as Jan suggested. It's hard to concentrate while showering and shaving and while I feel the leakage is tiny, it may be significant if coconut oil is bad for you, as, coupled with absorption through the gums, it could alter your LDL numbers.

I may move to another oil in a week or two but I'm going to try to check my LDL first, to see if has been affected. However, it will only be a basic LDL check, not a particle count.

Has anyone any thoughts, especially on the faintly throbbing gums?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60