http://ubiome.com/pages/smoking

coupon code: MOUTHBAC715
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Free oral biome scan (first 500!)

Post by circular »

Got it! Woot! Woot!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Interesting stuff, looking over the results. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. They don't give you much data to play with compared to the reports / tools on 23andme or where that research leads. Hopefully this biome scanning stuff will grow into something useful in the near future. I'd imagine it's more interesting if you're able to plot changes to these biomes following diet / lifestyle changes, but that's seems pretty pricey / nerdy.

It looks like I have a little bit more Firmicutes than the average test subject, and a little over 3X more Bacteroidetes than the average test subject, but my Proteobacteria count is 32X lower than the average mouth tested.
Proteobacteria are the most common gut microbes in Westerners. Although all of us carry these microbes, folks with inflammatory bowel disease seem to have more Proteobacteria and fewer varieties of other bacteria.

The Proteobacteria are a major group (phylum) of gram-negative bacteria. They include a wide variety of pathogens, such as Escherichia, Salmonella, Vibrio, Helicobacter, and Yersinia, and many other notable genera.
Looking at the "most unique" findings, apparently I have a strain of bacteria in my mouth that is found in hibernating squirrels and soil. :?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Apod :lol: :lol: :lol:
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Very cool, apod. Congrats on apparently excellent results. I still really want you to brush and floss NOW. Squirrel droppings...ick ;)
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I received a "Smart Gut" test today in the mail from uBiome. This looks like an upgraded gut panel compared with their public offerings.

Here's a link if anyone's interested:
https://ubiome.com/go/smartgut-pilotprogram

"Throughout the duration of uBiome's SmartGut pilot period uBiome will NOT balance bill patients. That means any costs not covered by your insurance company will be covered by uBiome."

Semi-related, I also came across this one the other day, now backed by Dave Asprey: https://www.viome.com/
(Talked about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzXCwsrT2K8#t=9m)

"The technology cost $2 billion to develop at Los Alamos national labs, it's based on RNA instead of DNA.
There is nothing like this in existence today. I just joined his advisory board because I'm so excited about it.
Naveen and I decided on the fly that when you use code "bulletproof" in the priority code when signing up at viome.com you automatically get moved to front of the waitlist!"
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

apod, where are you in the SmartGut process? My husband and I got our free SmartGut kits this past week.

Meanwhile, I submitted my five uBiome Explorer samples a while back. I now have results from my skin and genital samples. However, my nose, gut, and mouth samples had a lower than normal concentration of bacterial DNA. So they are trying to re-run the samples to see if they can be used. They have mailed me another kit so that I can redo these three samples, just in case they are needed.

I find it very odd that THREE samples would have a low concentration of bacterial DNA. The customer service person said it might have been a problem with the kit or their lab. The instructions for gathering samples are easy, so I really don't believe I didn't capture three samples correctly. I wouldn't doubt that the bacterial diversity in my gut is low, but I don't know that this would cause a low concentration of bacterial DNA in my gut overall. I have no ideas about the other two samples.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi allyson, I don't think low diversity will cause the low count. Your results will report how your diversity compares with others. My results showed that I had pretty good diversity (80th percentile give or take - haven't looked in ages) compared with their samples. This suggests they are finding low diversity in robust counts for individual samples to compare with.

Keep us posted!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, Circ. It'll be weeks until I hear about the last three samples, but in terms of diversity for the two samples that have been successfully processed: I'm in the 46th percentile for skin and the 56 percentile for genitals. So I'm averaging the 51th percentile so far. I'd rather be where you are, given that I've read over and over that our microbial diversity has been diminishing.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

alysson wrote:apod, where are you in the SmartGut process? My husband and I got our free SmartGut kits this past week.
It's a surprisingly slow process, it seems. I requested a test on April 30, had my sample taken and mailed back on May 11, and as of June 12, it's still listed as "Processing." This would really be a drag if there were some serious gut issues.