Bittersweet family milestones...

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
bentkat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bittersweet family milestones...

Post by bentkat »

Hugs Julie

As others have said, do take good care of yourself.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Take care of yourself through all this, Julie. I thought OUR son was giving us stress... Whew.
Love, Rep
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

(((Julie)))
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

sending positive thoughts your way, we're so grateful to you on this forum
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Oh, Lord, honey. I had no idea. :( Love you and thinking of you...wish I could be there and hug and support you for real. You have my number if you need to lean on someone.
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Huge thanks for your kind words, friends. I'm back home and ready to drop from pure exhaustion. Today is the day we were supposed to move my 97 year old Grandmother into an Alzheimer's care facility...but we didn't. My Mother bailed at the last minute. She just couldn't do it. I have mixed feelings- relief and concern for them both.

My 77 y/o Mom, who carries at least one copy of the E4 allele, ultimately neglects her own health caring for my Grandmother. I see her exhibit mild symptoms of cognitive decline. I suspect that she could turn things around if she weren't so burdened with care-taking. I try to help a lot, but there's no substitute for constant 24/7 vigilance. My goal now is to try to bring in more scheduled professional helpers to try to give my Mother more of a respite so she can focus on her own health. This.is.hard.

On the other hand, our son is really, REALLY, really happy. He can't wait start his new adventure.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

(((Julie)))
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Julie, you're the daughter/granddaughter we all would want. Would your mother consider supplements? Of course, my mom is a real proponent, but my 3/4 brother scoffs at any suggestion, and I think he is declining. It's sad, but we have to accept there is only so much you can do.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Welcome home and great news your son seems to have found his inner compass! I can't imagine what you must be going through. My guess is that it's not unusual for close family to retreat from a decision made to put a loved one in a home. It's probably a way of getting through the grief until the future is inescapable. So sad. Don't forget a few minutes of meditation here and there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Julie, I'm so sorry about your mom and grandmother.

Bringing in professional help, wherever appropriate, is a great choice. Maybe you could then get your Mom on some version of the Bredesen Protocol?

xo
GB