Cervical Dysplasia, Vitamin Deficiencies and Methylation Report

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
RBK
Contributor
Contributor

Cervical Dysplasia, Vitamin Deficiencies and Methylation Report

Post by RBK »

Ok, super smart people, bear with me here. I have a history of cervical dysplasia over the years. Have had clean pap smears for 6 years and still do today but am having other symptoms that have my long-term OB/GYN thinking the dysplasia may have moved into my cervical cancel. A LEEP or hysterectomy have been suggested. I've nixed the hysterectomy and will likely have the LEEP (to see what's found in cervical cancel and confirm no cancer) and hysterscopy (to confirm no uterine polyps).

However, what are all of us used to doing when faced with healthcare decisions? We start our own onslaught of serious research. After online research, reading studies in PubMed, and going back to my 23andme results, I've learned that cervical dysplasia is often successfully treated alternatively with high doses of vitamin A, B6, and folate.

As you'll see below in my methylation report (also welcome other insight into this report, as I just ran it this morning - though I already knew about the MTHFR issues), I don't process folate well. In looking at 23andme report, I also have issues with NBPF3 that gives me 1/45 ng/ml lower plasma levels of B6 and BCMO1 that leaves me 32% less capable of converting beta carotene into Vitamin A.

I've spoken to my family practice doc and am having blood work drawn (so will have more date for biomarker spreadsheet soon too, and I've been eating well but not as carefully as before) on Monday morning and then meeting with him to ask him his opinion and see if he will monitor whatever protocol is collectively decided upon. PubMed studies and other online resources suggest (summarizing so as not to torture you anymore than necessary):

10,000IU of Vitamin A and also a protocol for Vitamin A drops or suppositories vaginally - Need to discuss what form to take orally - thinking perhaps cod liver oil could replace an A supplement and my current fish oil. Since I'm already taking D3 and K2, I think this should work. Looks like, even if I committed to eating a sweet potato and/or several carrots every single day, I might not convert enough to get the high doses needed for this issue in the short-term fix stage of 3 months or so. I know it's fat soluble, so I would want a doc monitoring this closely.

Vitamin B6 50mg

Folate 5mg - Given my MTHFR, perhaps 5-methyl-folate?

Also, considering upping the ante on my gut health and starting a round of VSL#3.

Obviously, much depends on blood work results, but I wanted to run this all by you guys to see if you have ideas/input about any of the above or other methylation issues below before I meet with my family practice doc. I want to go in armed and ready for getting his full input. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Cervical Dysplasia, Vitamin Deficiencies and Methylation Report

Post by SusanJ »

Folates and cancer don't normally go together - methotrexate, a common cancer drug is an "anti-folate" as it were (and also used in low doses for autoimmune diseases). But, PubMed does shows that it could help your situation, so you just need to discuss it with your doc.

If you do up your folate (definitely methylated for you), do go slow because going up too fast will likely bring a slew of side effects.

Hugs RBK. Hope others can chime in.
RBK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RBK »

Good point, SusanJ. Hoping this has been caught prior to it being labeled cancer. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

So sorry you are dealing with this, (((RBK.))) I'm really glad you're doing the LEEP and hysterscopy just to rule out anything scary. I've read some of the studies that are leading you to try an alternative path. It looks like you are on solid ground pursuing this angle. Good for you for trying to factor in methylation issues- tricky. Please let us know what path you and your doc decide is best for you.

I've often wondered about the SNPs involved in determining whether one can utilize plant based Vitamin A. I've heard Chris Masterjohn talk about this. Apparently many people are affected. Almost all of my vitamin A comes from plant sources, I'd love to know if I'm able to use it. Any info you could share would be greatly appreciated.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Julie, start with this one.

Single nucleotide polymorphisms upstream from the β-carotene 15,15'-monoxygenase gene influence provitamin A conversion efficiency in female volunteers.
β-Carotene, the most abundant provitamin A carotenoid in the diet, is converted to retinal by β-carotene 15,15'-monoxygenase (BCMO1). However, β-carotene absorption and conversion into retinal is extremely variable among individuals, with proportions of low responders to dietary β-carotene as high as 45%. Recently, 2 common nonsynonymous single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) within the BCMO1 coding region (R267S; rs12934922 and A379V; rs7501331) revealed reduced catalytic activity, confirming that genetic variations contribute to the low responder phenotype. Because 4 SNPs 5' upstream from the BCMO1 gene were recently shown to affect circulating carotenoid concentrations, the current study aimed to investigate the effects of these SNPs on β-carotene conversion efficiency. Three of the 4 polymorphisms (rs6420424, rs11645428, and rs6564851) reduced the catalytic activity of BCMO1 in female volunteers by 59, 51, and 48%, respectively. The TG-rich lipoprotein fraction retinyl palmitate:β-carotene ratio was negatively correlated with the G allele of rs11645428 (r = -0.44; P = 0.018), whereas it was positively correlated with the G allele of rs6420424 (r = 0.53; P = 0.004) and the T allele of rs6564851 (r = 0.41; P = 0.028).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22113863
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks, Susan. I DO have problems. But Cron-o-meter says I get between 500-3,000% more Vitamin A than the RDA recommends...so I hope I'm OK ??? :? Apologies for going off-topic, RBK.
RBK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RBK »

I don't think this is off topic at all! It's exactly the way I'm thinking about my issues too. Chronometer says the same for me. I'll report after I get to hear my doc's perspective. After ruling out anything scary, I want to try to get to the source of the issue. Mine isn't HPV initiated, so I feel like there must be a deficiency in my system. Actually, even if I had HPV, I'd be thinking similarly based on what I've read. Reports of wiping out HPV with some of these high dose measures. Amazing!

RBK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RBK »

After second opinions and much back and forth, I had the LEEP Monday. Heard back yesterday - no cancer, no dysplasia. Thank goodness I didn't have the hysterectomy! Thanks for the support!

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Phew! Great news, my friend :D. Will you keep up your supplement protocol to address the dysplasia?
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

RBK, good to hear from you, and thanks for sharing the good news!! Stay well.