Which glucose meter should I invest in?

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Which glucose meter should I invest in?

Post by apod »

I have a precision Xtra ketone / glucose meter, but the test strips are expensive. I'm debating whether to invest in a cheaper meter or to pick up some strips for the one I have. I'm currently looking at the Solus V2 (as recommended by kayell) for $15 bucks with ~50 strips for $8 bucks (vs $40 for 50 precision Xtra strips.) From using cheap testing equipment in the past, I've learned that I would rather buy a more expensive device if the data is more reliable / accurate. Are there any other recommended accurate glucose meters I should check out?
LA18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Which glucose meter should I invest in?

Post by LA18 »

I spent a quite a bit of time earlier today comparing meters and getting incredibly frustrated with their inconsistencies – 20-25 mg/dl across meters. I’m trying to tighten up my blood glucose control (I’m on mealtime insulin) and I really need to know what my levels are pre and post meals.

When my testing needs exceed my monthly test strip prescription, I’ve used the ReliOn Micro (was rated high in Consumer Reports, but this was a couple of years ago, I haven’t checked recently - other types of Relion meters did not have high ratings). The test strips are cheap (but not as cheap as the ones you use, around $20 for 50 strips), but these meters often read about 20 points higher than my others.

I recently purchased the TrueResult meter (strips are much cheaper than those for most meters, but slightly more expensive than the Micro). This meter (I’ve only had one) tends to give low readings.

My favorite meter in terms of performance is the Accu-Chek Aviva. It’s the most consistent and it gives values that are right in the middle of the reads I get from other meters. But the strips are expensive and they have a very strong chemical odor.

The One Touch Ultra 2 (I’ve had many version of this meter) and Free Style Lite both tend to give low readings (relative to my other meters). The strips for both are expensive. I’m using the Free Style Lite at this point (highest rating in Consumer Reports), but only with prescription strips. When I run out I’ll probably use the TrueResult (the meter itself was cheap – less than $20, but I think most are). I’ve seen some data to suggest that the TrueResult is reliable (not sure what Consumer Reports says about this one), and it consistently yields values close to my Free Style Lite, which is supposed to be a good meter.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

LAC1965 wrote:My favorite meter in terms of performance is the Accu-Chek Aviva.
Accu-chek Aviva, Compact Plus, and, indeed, as I recall, all the Accu-chek models got very high ratings in the recent Consumer Reports review. I bought the Accu-chek Compact Plus and haven't looked back. Test strips are around $27-30 for 51 on Amazon. Consumer Reports noted that wasn't the cheapest price for test strips, but, despite being relatively poor, I decided accuracy and precision were more important than saving money. (Plus, in my case, the goal was to test only periodically, when I make a change in my routine.) And I can report that the Compact Plus is astonishingly accurate (matches doc's office readings) and precise (I've done a few tests right in a row, just to test the thing, where the reading hasn't changed even 1 unit -- 87 mg/dL; 1 min. later: 87 mg/dL; 1 min later still: 87 mg/dL).

GB
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

My insurance covers the Free Style Lite meter's strips, so this is what I've used for over three years. As LAC noted, the readings are slightly low ; i.e. my lab FBS might be up to 5-10 points higher than my home testing levels. Still I've noted consistency with testing with two strips or after the same dietary intake, it will test as predicted. You need to test with immediately after pricking with a full drop of blood, as the second test strip done a few seconds after the first is higher, or is this more accurate?
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Sorry, here's a link to a summary of the 2015 Consumer Reports analysis (I'd read the 2014 or 2013 report):

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2015 ... ings-2015/

GB
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I've bought in-date strips off eBay for years, relatively inexpensively. My Bayer Ascencia Contour tends to read about 10 points (in mg/dL units) less than my Precision Xtra. When I mentioned my eBay habit on another forum, I got slammed. Saying people shouldn't be selling their strips. Probably true, but that is their decision.
Tincup
E3,E4
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

When looking at blood glucose levels, what are the ideal times to take a reading? Before breakfast / right after a meal / 2-hours after meals?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

apod wrote:When looking at blood glucose levels, what are the ideal times to take a reading? Before breakfast / right after a meal / 2-hours after meals?
Assuming you are not diabetic, I'd sample a) morning fasting and b) 45 minutes to an hour after meals. At ~4 AM, your liver starts releasing glycogen to wake you up and get your body ready for the day, "the dawn effect." Your fasting test is an indicator of how well your pancreas handles this surge. For those on an extended ketogenic diet, these readings can be high, but not indicative of a problem due to physiological insulin resistance. This is where the body shunts all available glucose to the brain under very low carb conditions. For the after meal tests, the 45 minutes to 1 hour is chosen because for most people, this is the peak glucose. If you have delayed stomach emptying, this can be extended. I wouldn't sample every meal, just to collect data as what different meals/foods do to the serum glucose. The objective being to minimize the glucose spike after meals.

Also look at the work of Joseph Kraft on insulin responses (glucose is not the whole story, though it is the easiest to measure on an ongoing basis). I linked a search of posts on this in this post: https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... 693#p19283.
Tincup
E3,E4
JulieAnnie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JulieAnnie »

If you are really interested into diving into your insulin/glucose levels, you could invest in a continuous glucose meter by Dexcom (dexcom.com). It has been an amazing product for me and has allowed me to have almost normal glucose levels. As a 15 year type 1 diabetic, it's not an easy thing to do. You simply insert a transmitter/sensor under the skin and for 7 days it sends continuous readings to a small receiver that needs to be within a range of 20 feet. It also sends the data to your iPhone and also an Iwatch. An app gives you amazing reports. You can actually wear the sensor much longer than 7 days. It's not unusual to use the same sensor up to 21 days. I'm pretty sure you could get the whole system, with a several month supply of sensors, for about $700.00 without insurance. You could also share this system with others since each sensor is sealed. So, a group of say six people could acquire a complete system and after a few weeks send it on to the next person. Imagine looking at a graph with your readings recorded every 5 minutes 24 hours a day. With my I-Watch I simply raise my wrist and there is my current reading, and arrows showing whether I'm trending up, down, or remaining stable. It also requires calibration once a day with a regular glucose meter. The info you would get from a few week test would give you excellent insight. Most endocrinologist do have these meters in house and attempt using them temporarily on their diabetic patients.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

What an educational thread! I didn't realize how much I was overpaying for my Precision Xtra strips...but it's been crazily accurate for me.

JulieAnnie, good for you for having such tight control of your glucose. You are a shining example of how to manage T1D- kudos! I'm curious. how do you implant the sensor under your skin???