Migraines with aura--help!!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
jenlynn
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Migraines with aura--help!!

Post by jenlynn »

This may not be helpful at all. Sorry if not. I'm not sure what you mean by aura. When I got migraines my dr told me my aura was my vertigo. I don't know what you mean by aura. My understanding was different folks have different symptoms beforehand which she called the aura. Anyway. Mine was aligned with my menstrual cycle and I later determined it was exacerbated (sp?) by aspartame. Which also caused my asthma attacks. So even if sugar free gum or mints is the culprit it is worth looking into. I haven't had one in a long time since eliminating that.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Jenlynn an aura is an event that proceeds the headache or starts as the headache starts. It develops over 5 mins or so unlike a stroke that happens instantly. It can last up to an hour and is completely reversible. It is nothing like a stroke.

There are many kinds.
1. The commonest is a visual aura that starts as a blind spot and expands over 5 or so minutes, developing shiny jagged edges and covers a large part of the vision, then moves away and fades. There are other visual auras like bright lines, wavy lines etc
2. Sensory auras are second most common. Tingling happens on the face or one limb.
3. Other auras may present as weakness, dizziness, vertigo, pain, jerking of limbs, noises, difficulty talking.

Some people get the aura without the migraine. I get both.
My aura is tingling of my nose and the visual loss with sparkles thingy. It lasts 20-30 mins during which I can't see anything. It's not dangerous.
jenlynn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jenlynn »

Ah! Got it. I thought maybe my doctor had told me the wrong thing. I had been going to her over and over about vertigo. She was at a total loss and one day I finally said, and then I get a really bad headache and have to cover my head with a pillow. She looked at me like she wanted to slap me and said..... That's a migraine! Oops! I'm glad I don't get them anymore. I hate being dizzy more than anything. OP I hope your daughter finds some relief. Aspartame was my problem. Mine started when I was drinking diet sodas for a while.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

Here is a better information source

https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-mig ... nd-stages/

" Cerebellar involvement may be observed in 4 types of migraines: in the widespread migraine with aura (MWA) and migraine without aura (MWoA) forms; in particular subtypes of migraine such as basilar-type migraine (BTM); and in the genetically driven autosomal dominant familial hemiplegic migraine (FHM) forms. Cerebellar dysfunction in migraineurs varies largely in severity, and may be subclinical. Purkinje cells express calcium channels that are related to the pathophysiology of both inherited forms of migraine and primary ataxias, mostly spinal cerebellar ataxia type 6 (SCA-6) and episodic ataxia type 2 (EA-2). Genetically driven ion channels dysfunction leads to hyperexcitability in the brain and cerebellum, possibly facilitating spreading depression waves in both locations. This review focuses on the cerebellar involvement in migraine, the relevant ataxias and their association with this primary headache, and discusses some of the pathophysiological processes putatively underlying these diseases."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/559621\

"Migraine Associated Vertigo"
http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/di ... e/mav.html

"The hallmark of hemiplegic migraine is unilateral weakness that accompanies a migraine headache attack. The weakness is a manifestation of motor aura and occurs with other forms of aura that impair vision, speech, or sensation. This form of migraine with aura may occur either in families or only in one individual (sporadic).
CLASSIFICATION

The primary feature that separates hemiplegic migraine from other types of migraine with aura is the presence of motor weakness as a manifestation of aura in at least some attacks. Migraine auras most often manifest as visual disturbances, but can also involve sensory, verbal, and rarely motor disturbances. Thus, hemiplegic migraine is an uncommon subtype of migraine with aura."

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/hemiplegic-migraine
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

With my mod hat on: Gene, this is not a competition. I deliberately used simple layman's language to explain context in easily understandable form.
Please refrain from being disparaging of other member's posts ie the comment that your information is "better".
However thank you for your extensive contribution to the discussion.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Gene, agree with Stavia on all points. I would like to underscore her remark about your contribution - as someone whose spouse is afflicted, migraine is an important topic for me, and I had not come across the Migraine Trust previously. The Living with migraine section strikes an excellent balance between accessibility and evidence. (I would love to build something like that here for APOE-ε4 carriers.)
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

Sorry Marc but I do not agree with Stavia but that is my opinion based on what I know not balanced opinion.
Now to understand what I said you have to be able to understand what a proper diagnosis is and what applies to you.

"Could Every Migraine Attack Damage Your Brain?"
http://migraineagain.com/ouch-every-mig ... ges-brain/

I can see where "better" is misunderstood. just like one can say over simplification can be misleading when it can be a serious topic.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

I'm not sure we're talking about the same things, so I'll clarify. When I said, "I agree with Stavia", I was referring to the two points she made in her most recent post in this thread. Paraphrasing:

1. Your use of the word "better" was insulting and rude.
2. Your contribution to the discussion has otherwise been helpful.

Thanks for the migraineagain.com link. I have been there before but not for a long time. She sent me a good article emphasizing the importance of hydration as a migraine prophylactic.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

'not what I said
"Here is a better information source"

nothing personal at all... "source"

I accept your apology.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Your intent isn't the point. In my opinion, it's obviously rude to follow up to someone's detailed explanation with, "Here's a BETTER source".