Altitude Sickness & Zermatt

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Altitude Sickness & Zermatt

Post by LG1 »

My upcoming trip:

I've had a trip to Zermatt, Switzerland planned since last year. Thought I'd get some skiing in for practice so headed to Breckenridge in early December. Ended up in the hospital with acute altitude sickness. My oxygen level was at 71. I felt so much better within 15 minute of receiving oxygen that I thought I was free to go.. nope.. Apparently my levels would have stayed low as soon as I removed the oxygen. I had to have an oxygen concentrator in the room and a portable tank.. sounds awful but I was so happy to feel better I didn't really mind. They told me it is entirely random who gets it but once someone does they are more susceptible. I've had it before there but a much more mild case.

So, before I leave on Monday I am getting some medication from doc, assuming Acetazolamide. I am thinking that because Zermatt at base is so much lower than Breck I'll be fine but after last time taking no chances. Web Md suggests taking a potassium supplement along with it.. as it is a diuretic. I did swell up quite a bit when I was in Breck. Must've had something to do with the altitude sickness. I couldn't wear my ski pants.. the button kept popping open, ha! Once I got back to Denver the fluid retention abated.

Curious if anyone has been to Zermatt? Would love to have some tips or comments on what you thought of the place.
ε4/ε4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Altitude Sickness & Zermatt

Post by Stavia »

LG honey, not been there, but it sounds amazing. Hope you are fully recovered very soon and have a blast! Please post some pics for us.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Stavia wrote:LG honey, not been there, but it sounds amazing. Hope you are fully recovered very soon and have a blast! Please post some pics for us.
Was totally back to normal as soon as I hit lower altitude.

Speaking of pics... I don't see many people sharing them... is everyone able to view them? If so I'll post some right here!

Can't wait to ski with view of the Matterhorn.
ε4/ε4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Yup pics upload nicely. Would be fab to see yr experience
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Had a really lovely time, it is so beautiful there! The train ride from Zurich to Visp and then on to Zermatt had beautiful views. Only electric cars allowed in Zermatt. Used my GoPro when skiing and that was a lot of fun.
IMG_2236.JPG
Hotel Matterhorn Focus, Zermatt, Switzerland
fullsizeoutput_2c0f.jpeg
The Matterhorn in the background
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ε4/ε4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Oh how beautiful!!
Any issues with the altitude?
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Stavia wrote:Oh how beautiful!!
Any issues with the altitude?
Oops, complexly forgot to mention.... Zero issues with altitude. Started taking Acetazolamide day before and during the entire trip. I also drank a lot of water and very little alcohol. To make the water go down easier I used some sweet tea flavoring, really helped. I don't think I would have been able to drink as much without it.

Once up at the top of the mountain I was a bit winded but that went away after a few days... and Zermatt at base is no where near the altitude Breckenridge, CO.
ε4/ε4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Fabulous:)
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Wonderful photos and glad that altitude sickness wasn't a problem.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Wow..looks spectacular! Thanks for sharing the pics and so glad you had no altitude issues.