If you should choose to drink alcohol -- which is best?

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: If you should choose to drink alcohol -- which is best?

Post by NewRon »

Interval training!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: versus wine??? ;) ;) ;)

That's a difficult choice :lol: :lol: :lol:
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Post by frankiesfriend »

I see no reason to ignore research that is more than five years old unless the methodology has improved or new scientific breakthroughs/insights have led to new testing methods or interpretations. Take a look at the recently discussed Bredesen paper citing research published in 1998. But I do take the point that data may be interpreted differently in the light of new knowledge, and we benefit from looking closely at the methodology of each study. With respect to the alcohol effect on the brain, I wonder how much to trust the comparison to a control group (no AD) for which confounders may exist are not accounted for in the study. For example, these studies generally accounted for smoking, BMI, gender, and other potential risk factors, but not for diet. If the beneficial effects of alcohol are attributed to improved lipid profiles and clotting factors (see the World Alzheimer's Report 2014), then perhaps if those risks are accounted for, the benefit would actually disappear. Those who have joined this web-forum may not be well represented in any of the research if as a community we are striving to reduce factors that may not even be on the radar in the control groups that are represented in these studies.
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73, my age on my next birthday.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

frankiesfriend wrote:I see no reason to ignore research that is more than five years old unless the methodology has improved or new scientific breakthroughs/insights have led to new testing methods or interpretations.
I would argue that this is exactly the case when it comes to AD research.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jkramer65 »

cdamaden wrote:I'm a little confused on the statement about sugar content. From what I've gathered wine has about 1-1.5 grams of sugar per 5 oz glass. Spirits have essentially zero grams. Beer is pretty low too with less than half a gram. Carbs is interesting with spirits again having zero grams, wine having about 4 grams and beer about 13 grams.

Where you get into trouble on the sugar front is mixed drinks, for example a Mai Tai could have 25 grams of sugar and 30 grams of carbs!
Booze may not have "sugar" but it converts. No matter what I can't see myself ever stopping drinking. There has to be some sort of balance between vigilance and enjoyment of life in my opinion. :)
ellisto
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ellisto »

Hi member Tincup led me to Dr Gundry's you tube on healthy drinking and Dr Gundry says that Champagnes, Red Wine and Aged spirits, are best. Aged spirits because they have been in oak barrels, and all of these in moderation may have benefits for the memory.

Here is the link thanks to Tincup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=TlJ9sMcNK78

Ellisto