Packed lunch ideas?

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Sparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Packed lunch ideas?

Post by Sparrow »

I'm really kind of struggling with debt and I know I've got to cut back my spending.

I was hoping that folks might be willing to share their packed lunch ideas. I am so tired of ham or turkey sandwiches. I am interested in healthier eating, but I need some easy options because I get kind of overwhelmed in my little apartment-sized kitchen and sadly, never did enjoy making complicated recipes.

I have some (allergist-verified) food allergies:
egg yolks (mayo makes my eyes puffy, and hard-boiled eggs cause breathing issues)
tree nuts
sesame seeds (hummus has to be home-made because tahini is in most store-bought hummuses)
peanuts
coconut
winter squash - I cannot eat spaghetti squash (breathing problems). I am not sure about other squashes. Last I tried, I can eat pumpkin and butternut squash but I'm afraid that may change in the future.
kale - Not tested for, but I get sick when I eat it, so I just avoid it.

The food allergy thing frustrates me. I'm actually a foodie and like to try new foods - except cottage cheese. I want to like it, but... eww. ;)
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Packed lunch ideas?

Post by CarrieS »

My favorite lunch is to combine cooked red quinoa, cooked or left over meat (like chicken) and a variety of vegetables and then add olive oil and lemon or lime juice and sea salt.

Greek Salad: add kalamata olives, tomatoes, cucumber, sweet pepper like yellow, orange or red and red onion. Toss in some dried oregano, dried basil and garlic powder. If you tolerate dairy, feta is fun to add too. Balsamic vinegar is good too.

Mexican Salad: add things like pico de gallo salsa (or tomatoes, onion, garlic), fresh cilantro, lime juice, radishes, black beans, fresh jalapeño, green or black olives, etc.

You can add leftover cooked vegetables like asparagus, zucchini, peppers, onions ,etc. What I have in the fridge is what I use.

Play with what you have. I keep it simple and high flavor. Most of all, have fun!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Tough set of allergies! Many of us, including me, have our lists of food to avoid, so I know it can be a challenge.

I usually make enough food at night to have leftovers for the next day. Especially easy if you are making soups, stews or salads - just make double. It saves prep time in the morning, too, so you can just grab and go. If I make chicken, I usually chop it up and throw it on greens with whatever is in my fridge, like Carrie's suggestions. If you are a foodie, try growing a few herbs in pots on the windowsill. Cheaper than buying and they can pep up any concoction.

I can also recommend the Against All Grain (https://againstallgrain.com/recipe-index/) website and cookbooks for meal ideas. She uses nut flours in baking, but her entrees could be easily modified to fit your list.
Sparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sparrow »

I was allergic to barley and tested negative (I found out months later when I had another look at my tests!), and I now test negative to soy, so I'm a happy camper. LOL! For a very brief moment, I had thought about becoming vegetarian, but I went to a VegFest and saw that there was nothing I could eat (between the coconut oil fad, kale, sesame and soy at the time...). I'm sure it could have been done, but not easily.

I'm getting a bit curious about food allergies and Alzheimer's. I did a search on the forum just to see what it would turn up. A few interesting thoughts, but nothing definitive, of course.

Thanks so much for the responses! I hate the kitchen so I get easily overwhelmed in there, so I'm glad to ask "the Internet" for ideas. I tend to hit a mental wall when I think of changing my diet, even if I'm not satisfied with eating the same-old foods.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Get a 1 quart ball jar. Fill it up with greens - you can buy pre washed mixes almost anywhere. throw in whatever is around your fridge left over fruit or veggies and whatever protein you want to add. Actually it is best to put the dressing at the bottom and shake it right before you eat it. Dressing can be as simple as vinegar and oil with salt and pepper. Fast and healthy and cheap. Lately I add in a couple of strawberries sliced with some kim chi for a sweet and sour taste.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Sparrow wrote: I was hoping that folks might be willing to share their packed lunch ideas.
When I don't have time to prepare lunch, and need something quick, I grab an avocado. Even though avos can be expensive, I find that a ripe avocado makes a good meal just on its own....or you could add it (just before eating) to Maureen's suggestion of the qt ball jar salad. An avo provides some protein and also healthy fats.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

avo plus can of salmon or can of sardines?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

I'm starting to see a lot about batch cooking - planning for, preparing and freezing meals so that they're ready when you need them - but done on a "social" basis. A group who have healthy food and low cost as goals combine resources. Maybe someone in the group has a large enough kitchen, someone else has cooking skills, someone else has organizational skills to get the group going. (You, perhaps??) You should be able to find some recipes online that would accommodate your allergies, and could suggest those to the group. (www.foodnetwork.com put "allergies" in the search engine) Here are three articles about getting started.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/19 ... 50046.html

https://www.bettycrocker.com/how-to/tip ... ch-cooking

http://www.life.ca/naturallife/1110/foo ... owship.htm
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Sparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sparrow »

Thank you, everyone! This is a big help!
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

I would like to suggest you consider something which does not need any preparation. I do this lunch at least two to three times a week. I pick up all the kinds of specialty cereals at the costco keep mixing them up little quantities of each into a container and take a couple of scoops into a box. That is lunch on the go ready in a few minutes . I will have a fruit along with it for lunch. Sometimes I carry a smoothie in a flask which makes it quite a comprehensive lunch. You will of course be aware of the nuts that do not work for you while choosing the cereal. I do not take any cereal that has a frosting or is sweetened artificially. I add different nuts on different days for a change but the base of the cereal mix stays the same. I know it is a bit unconventional " cereal for lunch" but, I personally believe " food is food " as long as it is convenient to prepare and to carry, has the nutrition and the good and does not have the bad it should not have.