Books and reading

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Blaire
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Books and reading

Post by Blaire »

Any one have any suggestions regarding audio books. Having trouble finding some. Tx
- Blaire
3/4
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Hi Blaire,
Depends on your interests. Audiobooks.com have Head Strong from Dave Asprey? or Why zebras don't get ulcers from Robert Sapolsky?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Welcome to the forum Blaire!
This is a great place to be where you can get lots of information and support. One of the best places to start is the primer. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
Everyone's experience is different and you will see that here.
In addition to the forum, The End of Alzheimer's book recently came out. It's by Dr Dale Bredesen - a leading pioneer in the field. It is written for lay people and easy to understand. However, I don't know if it is available in audio book.
Welcome again.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
Blaire
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Blaire »

Thank you. Already listened and have his book. I’ll check out those other books mentioned. Thanks! I commute so much listening to books work best for me
- Blaire
3/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Blaire wrote:Any one have any suggestions regarding audio books. Having trouble finding some. Tx
Have you thought of listening to Podcasts? Lots of fascinating information on cutting edge health issues can be found by listening to these. Many are provided as videos, but many of the discussions are just talks or interviews so even if they are augmented with illustrative slides, you can usually get the gist by just listening.

Some thoughts—
Ronda Patrick’s (she's a 3/4 so interested in issues related to dementia) Found my Fitness -- https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes
STEM talk -- https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalks/
Dr Joe Mercola -- https://articles.mercola.com/videos.aspx
Dave Asprey Bulletproof --https://blog.bulletproof.com/category/podcasts/

Just a sampling, there's many more.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Another thought, if you get books on kindle, you can have the app read the book to you, automatically generated, but not too bad.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I have just been reading the Four Pillar Plan which is top of the bestsellers list here in the UK - it's about sleep, food, exercise and relaxation and has some useful tips such as getting light in the mornings. He mentions Bredesden in there too. I like this one. Nice and simple.

Also just ordered the Super Brain book (a Chopra one) after enjoying Super Genes.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Blaire wrote:Any one have any suggestions regarding audio books. Having trouble finding some. Tx
I've been slowly making my way through Leonardo da Vinci's bio from Walter Isaacson -- it's a pretty long audio book. Fascinating guy, although the book is kind of dry. This winter I've been letting my walking & listening game slip... I've built up a stockpile of 3 uncompleted audiobooks and 4 audible credits.

In addition to da Vinci, I'm listening to Outliers, The Art Of Stopping Time, and Meditations (Marcus Aurelius.) I'd also like to go back and finish The Salt Fix. 1-2 more months or so and the weather should be more conducive toward long walks and audiobooks.

I'd highly recommend the old Stoic classics if you're looking for some classic wisdom. Another one from my Library that stands out is "The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck." It's a fun listen if you're someone who tends to over-analyze.

My audiobook library has grown to 21 titles... it's hard to believe I've just about read through all of these in less than ~2yrs, as someone who doesn't really read much off-screen. I wish I figured this audiobook thing out sooner.

I've been looking for some good fiction to toss in the mix, but haven't come across anything that really jumps out at me. I've got something like 100 items in my Wish List of business / entrepreneur / health related books. In reading the new Tim Ferris book, Tribe of Mentors, he keeps asking the question "What books have you gifted the most, or have greatly influenced your life?" I'm looking forward to the rabbit hole of going back over those (hopefully someone's created a nice list somewhere.)
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

I have so many suggestions I don't know where to start. here are a few:
anything by James Lee Burke(writes a bit like Faulkner)
anything by Vince Flynn published before he died
Stephen King's 11-22-63 and Duma Key
Patrick Smith A Land Remembered(historical Fiction)
Pat Frank Alas Babylon
The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey(historical Fiction)
Stephen King 11-22-63
NathanRs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NathanRs »

I am reading (for the second time) Arch of Triumph of Erich Maria Remarque. One of my favorite writers, every novel is a piece of art, not an easy read though...Erich Maria Remarque has quite an impressive biography, I found out that he liked old manors, collected antiques and spent his last years in this villa in Switzerland. I would be thrilled to see it in real life!