Books and reading

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Books and reading

Post by Orangeblossom »

What have you read and liked? Either general reading for pleasure or related books?

I am reading "Super genes" by Deepak Chopra and Rudolph Tanzi. It's really interesting and positive, lots about genes and the epigemone, how genes can be switched on and off, gene methylation etc. I have also been reading a book called the Fragile Brain, about AD and another called the Middle Aged Brain and these were interesting also.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Books and reading

Post by Jan »

I have several of Deepak Chopra's books, Orange, and love his writing. I've been meaning to pick up Super Genes. Had forgotten that Rudi Tanzi is the co-author. Your positive response to it puts it back on my to-do list.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

For pleasure I loved All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
For exciting information, my favorite of the decade has been Norman Doidge's
The Brain That Changes Itself.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I got it from my library Jan; I have found the library can order in stuff I might just read once, but actually thinking of buying that one. i mean it talks a lot about the things we know already, sleep, stress, food, etc but more about the gut biome and fibre, and less specific to ASD but about helping our genes be 'super'! Interesting some of the studies onto e.g. how stress affects the gut biome as well as food, and gene expression and how it is related to lifestyle. Overall a positive book, as was the Middle aged brain (which was about how in general or short term memory can decline just with age (not AD) but we sort of can become 'wiser' and less reactionary due to experience and also our brains get more white matter and myelin (I think) increasing the connections and our brains can grow new cells in the cingulate gyrus area (mainly due to exercise) so that links in with the advice here as well.

I have just got my copy of the Alzheimer's Antidote which is good (low carb approach) Yes I have heard of those books and meaning to read Flora.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Besides The End of Alzheimer's by Dr Dale Bredesen https://www.amazon.com/End-Alzheimers-P ... e+bredesen

The Plant Paradox by Steven Gundry https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Paradox-Da ... nt+paradox

The Metabolic Approach to Cancer by Dr Nasha Winters and Jess Higgins Kelley https://www.amazon.com/Metabolic-Approa ... ancer+book

edit addition - forgot this one
The Complete Guide to Fasting by Jimmy Moore and Dr Jason Fung
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Good reminder on library resources, Orange. I used to be a fixture at our local library, but short on time these last months!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I have recently rediscovered the library after I found you can order in the books online, and simply collect them when they are in- they send you a note to tell you.

I have just got out from there "The Hungry Brain" which is another interesting one- not on AD this time but more about how our brains work in terms of decision making and how we get a dopamine hit when we eat high calorie foods, interesting, and based in the US, on fast food etc. and obesity.

Theresa, those look interesting. I have read online Jason Fung's guide to fasting on diet doctor website, really helpful. And heard that the Metabolic book on Cancer is worth a read as well. There is another called Cancer as a Metabolic Disease I think. It is good to be thinking of our overall health isn't it and to try and find an approach that may be preventative in so many areas. I am finding more and more the ideas of ketosis and fasting being helpful for so many things, not just AD..
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

I recommended Dr. B's book to a friend and she returned the favor by recommending 'Being Mortal' - a wonderful book written by a Doctor about end of life. Highly recommend it.
Maureen
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I liked Being Mortal, it was very good, Maureen. very useful when thinking about people aging and independence and what it said about 'what really matters in the end'. I liked another along those lines which is called "In the midst of life' that is all about peoples wishes at the end of life and written by a nurse. A bit harrowing in places though. maybe not a light read.

Some others about life and death- meaningful type ones- When Breath becomes Air, Kalinthki and Do No Harm, Henry Marsh.

Some books I have read on people's lives with AD:

Scar Tissue sensitively written by a son of an artist mother with early onset AD)
Still Alice
Elizabeth is Missing
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Wow Orangblossom,

So many suggestions, thanks.

Maureen