Ageism in America

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Ageism in America

Post by tesslo »

I let my hair grow out grey and long....I wear a hat sunscreen and sunglasses and walk a lot but I live in a town where there a lot of young people vying for position and (resources) in a frenzy. I started doing research and this was the first article I found:

Ageism and Health

The negative impact of ageism has been well-documented. Stress, depression and a higher risk of heart disease result when seniors internalize negative messages from the media and from people around them. Older people who feel they are a burden to others see their lives as less valuable, increasing their risk of isolation and depression. Ageism can cause a damaging cycle: marginalization leads to low self-esteem, which in turn accelerates withdrawal and physical decline. A study from Yale showed that negative beliefs about aging may be linked to brain changes related to Alzheimer’s disease – specifically, people who had more negative thoughts about aging had a significantly greater number of amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles, two conditions associated with Alzheimer’s. Another Yale study showed that positive attitudes about aging could extend one’s life by 7-1/2 years – a greater lifespan gain than from low cholesterol, low blood pressure, maintaining a healthy weight, or even being a nonsmoker!

So when I have a strong desire to move it is self preservation. But I think I will just stand my ground
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Ageism in America

Post by Julie G »

Powerful, tesslo. The negative media stereotype about aging is one that we need to change. A poor self-image can be devastating to one's emotional wellbeing and health. Remember, no one (or nothing) can define who you are. We each have the power to define ourselves. One of my pet peeves is the fact that dementia is perceived as a "normal" part of aging. It's NOT. We need to redefine what aging means and fight against these negative perceptions. I work hard to maintain a growth mindset as I age. Instead of "closing down," I see getting older as an opportunity to learn new skills, meet new people, and accept new challenges. This is a good reminder for us all to seek out positive, supportive, active, healthy people. My guess, is that this component accounts for much of the success of Blue Zones. Our community virtually provides this (and more!) for which I'm eternally grateful. Happy holidays to all. -xo
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tesslo »

Thanks Julie....I live in the 'blue zone' coastal area
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Lucky you, Tesslo! I'm currently living in the exact opposite and working hard to create my own blue bubble ;)
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

It`s the same in the UK, everywhere you look in this country they bang on about how elderly people are bankrupting the NHS, will need round the clock care, & are a terrible burden on society. There`s also endless adverts on tv telling us how to sign up for funeral plans on the cheap. It`s no wonder elderly people suffer from so much depression & other mental health problems with so much negativity aimed at them!