Question for the foodies!

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Cas
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question for the foodies!

Post by Cas »

I would second coconut flour...I've used it in stews, sauces and gravy but as hill dweller says definitely add it slowly because it absorbs water really quickly!
Functional Medicine Coaching Academy Student
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Julie G wrote:I've been playing around with various Asian sauces and wondered what folks have found to be the safest/healthiest thickeners for those of us using a low carb approach. I like arrowroot, but it's so high in carbs. Any thoughts on xanthum gum? Here's an article I found that feels fairly neutral... Any other ideas would be much appreciated.
I've had good results with steamed zucchini and a blender, if you're thickening something like a curry or stew. The carbs are relatively low and it's a decent source of potassium (and lectins? ;) ) I use riced cauliflower for similar purposes. Although, these don't work in a sauce. Mashed avocado could either mess up the taste, or add some mean thickening action. There's also soaked chia, flax, or even ground psyllium husk. I would be curious to try powdered glucomannan (10x thicker than corn starch, awesome fiber, and zero calories) -- I've almost bought it a few times but never did (it does come with a choking / blockage hazard warning due to the expansion of the fiber.)

Condiments could be an untapped vehicle for added soluble fibers (thicken all the sauces!) I notice with lower carb + more IF, my fiber intake takes a bit of a hit.
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

Hi Julie,
Not exactly sure what it is you are making, but my favorite thickener is pureed Cauliflower! Sounds crazy but I enjoyed a delicious dairy free clam chowder that was non dairy and thickened with steamed, then pureed cauliflower. 2.5 grams carb in .5 cup.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

JulieG-I do use xanthan gum. A little goes a long way and I don’t seem to be sensitive to it. I am intrigued with the egg yolk idea and will give it a try. Probably can’t heat sauce too hot as yolks can curdle at higher temps.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

JulieG-I do use xanthan gum.
Thanks, JML. I made a killer Schezwan sauce with it, but plan to experiment with coconut flour next time. I appreciate all of the ideas.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Julie G wrote:
JulieG-I do use xanthan gum.
I made a killer Schezwan sauce with i
Don't forget to submit your favorite version of the Schezwan sauce recipe to the Recipe thread!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I was looking at the Primal Kitchen offerings today, and noticed the ingredients:
https://www.primalblueprint.com/primal-kitchen/

You'll see Konjac on a lot of them as the thickener (glucomannan.)
dingter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dingter »

Coconut-based flour, egg and tapiocia is something I have used