"Bulletproof" Coffee

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Jena S
Contributor
Contributor

"Bulletproof" Coffee

Post by Jena S »

I am wondering if anyone here drinks high-quality coffee with MCT oil (Bulletproof Brain Octane is one specific brand on the market) and grass-fed butter. If so, how does it make you feel? Do you incorporate this with fasting to utilize ketones?

My husband and I have been drinking coffee with healthy fats for about 9 months and we absolutely swear by it (for us). We have energy that lasts all day and feel like any brain fog is lifted. Go mitochondria!!!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: "Bulletproof" Coffee

Post by floramaria »

Jena S wrote:I am wondering if anyone here drinks high-quality coffee with MCT oil (Bulletproof Brain Octane is one specific brand on the market) and grass-fed butter. If so, how does it make you feel? Do you incorporate this with fasting to utilize ketones?

My husband and I have been drinking coffee with healthy fats for about 9 months and we absolutely swear by it (for us). We have energy that lasts all day and feel like any brain fog is lifted. Go mitochondria!!!
HI Jena, I have been drinking Bulletproof coffee for about a year. I love it! At first I thought it was the perfect way to enjoy...and I mean ENJOY!!!..my morning coffee more than ever. I always feel great after I drink it and I did incorporate it into extending my time with “no calories other than fat” to help with ketosis; I never considered it part of my fasting hours though since it does have calories. Like you , I feel like it gives me a lot of energy and a very clear brain. MCT oil and grass-fed butter. Or ghee and MCT.
When I was starting a ketogenic diet, I thought it would be helpful, and it was. I felt like I would never need to eat. Plus it was/is so delicious and exhilarating. The news that Dr Bredesen was recommending the MCT oil only as a transition into ketosis, and then recommended replacing it with fats like olive oil was a tremendous disappointment. I have stopped drinking the Bulletproof coffee everyday, but still have it a few times a week. And still love it.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Jena S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jena S »

floramaria, it's great to hear from a fellow "Bulletproofer!" When you do currently drink your Bulletproof, do you drink it right away in the morning or a little later? I will need to re-read that section in Dr. Bredesen's book so I can get his full opinion on the use of MCT oil vs other healthy fats for ketosis. Thanks for the feedback!!! :)
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by hill dweller »

I drink good coffee in the morning with a little full fat cream. Rather than adding MCT oil to my coffee, I prefer to take one tablespoon (0.5 ounces) straight, all by itself. I have added it to my coffee, but it is very oily and seemed to spoil the mouthfeel of the coffee! And a good brand of MCT isn't objectionable to drink straight. I prefer NOW brand to the others that I have tried -- no flavor, glass storage bottle, competitive price. I also occasionally use NOW powdered MCT -- the powdered version has a yummy coconut flavor and doesn't give you gastric distress (which the oil can do at higher doses). The powder can also be packed in your luggage for travel, without fear of spilling. The powder is a bit difficult to dissolve, so I mix it with the cream before adding the coffee. Or you can just chew it up straight.

I don't consider my morning coffee, cream and MCT as breaking my nightly fast, since the calorie count is very low. YMMV -- this routine has worked for me for two years. (1 tablespoon MCT oil plus 1 tablespoon cream = 95 calories)

I don't view the question as "MCT oil vs other healthy fats for ketosis." I view MCT as a supplement for my mitochondria. It makes me feel energetic and lifts the morning fog. I eat other healthy fats as foods, not supplements.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria, did Dr Bredesen say only use MCT oil during transition to ketosis or only use coconut then? I was thinking he meant coconut but never paid close enough attention. I like ghee and MCT bulletproof oil but don’t have it often. I got worried about the saturated fat in ghee, even though I only use about a teaspoon :roll:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

hill dweller wrote:I have added it to my coffee, but it is very oily and seemed to spoil the mouthfeel of the coffee!
The first time I tried to make it mine was like that. I poured the MCT oil in and it was just a floating slick. Now I whip it in my high speed blender, and it comes out rich and frothy.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jena S wrote:floramaria, it's great to hear from a fellow "Bulletproofer!" When you do currently drink your Bulletproof, do you drink it right away in the morning or a little later? I will need to re-read that section in Dr. Bredesen's book so I can get his full opinion on the use of MCT oil vs other healthy fats for ketosis. Thanks for the feedback!!! :)
Hello fellow Bulletproofer! Generally I don't have it right away in the morning. I usually wait til mid morning. I might just have water or herb tea with nothing in it. That is because I fall within the camp who consider the calories of my Bulletproof coffee to be seriously breaking my overnight fast ! I am rather lavish with both the MCT oil and the butter (or ghee).
So iI generally wait until I am at least up to 14 hours since my last meal, sometimes 16. Occasionally my food of the night is early like 6 PM. Then I am happy to start the day the Bulletproof way.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

circular wrote:floramaria, did Dr Bredesen say only use MCT oil during transition to ketosis or only use coconut then? I was thinking he meant coconut but never paid close enough attention. I like ghee and MCT bulletproof oil but don’t have it often. I got worried about the saturated fat in ghee, even though I only use about a teaspoon :roll:
Hi Circ, From notes I took hearing Dr Bredesen speak recently, in regards to MCT oil, specifically, he said that it is valuable for transitioning into insulin sensitivity. I also have notes from earlier talk that indicate that he said it is a valuable tool in helping people get into ketosis. From most recent talk, while he did not address coconut oil specifically, my notes indicate that he said after using MCTs to transition, "then switch from saturated fats to mono and polyunsaturated fats." I cannot promise that this is exactly what he said...only that it is what I wrote down. (I can't always write as fast as he, or anyone, speaks.)
To put this comment in context though, in was in response to a question about a patient who had cardiovascular disease , was put on a very low fat diet, and then, over time, began cognitive decline.
With MCT oil the ketones are immediately available, and my understanding is that is why it is often recommended for people trying to get into ketosis and achieve metabolic flexibility . My understanding is that it is easier to fuel the brain directly by MCTs than by other fats. Sources vary on the MCT content of coconut oil, but most place MCTs at between 50% and high-60's %. MCT oil has almost entirely MCTs. That is about as close as i can come to answering your question.

In spite of what the good doctor says, I continue to enjoy both MCT oil AND butter or ghee into my coffee sometimes. I love the taste, and after I drink it I feel like Wonder Woman. :lol:
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I have recently discovered avocado oil which comes with lemon, and have a spoon of this in the mornings, after my coffee. I did used to have bulletproof coffee also, but fancied a change. so a possible alternative. I have also heard of people having a little olive oil with lemon and cold water but found that quite unpalatable and the avocado was better. I guess it is important for us to have something we find enjoyable, if we are to do it on a daily basis!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria thanks for the clarification that Dr. Bredesen was specifically referencing MCT oil and not coconut oil. I'm not sure I understand what would be wrong with MCT oil when in ketosis ... additional ketones? Or I wonder if he were pressed on the different MCTs whether there would be one or more subsets he'd be okay with and others not. I don't really care if I have MCT oil and seldom do, just curious.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.