"Bulletproof" Coffee

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: "Bulletproof" Coffee

Post by Kenny4/4 »

I did Bulletproof Coffee the other day to take a full 16 hr fast to a quasi 24hr fast and also as a way of transitioning from 16 hr daily fasts to a day to day 23 hr fast.
All I can say is it was an amazing experience! I normally feel a bit sluggish shifting gears into and out of ketosis while fasting. This experience was like the clouds parting and the sky clearing in my brain. I accomplished all my weekend chores around the house and exercised hard while in ketosis. I have never before this cared to exercise hard in fasting ketosis.

I am concerned that the saturated fats may be harmful, but how can something that feels so good be so bad?
I am trying to convince myself that saturated fats are only bad when combined with carbs and that if you burn them up before leaving ketosis it can't hurt you.

Any thoughts? Any Science? Avacado-Olive Oil instead of butter and coconut oil?
It was an amazing experience!
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

I use the powdered MCT oil in my BPC. Love it with salted butter. I use a little hand frother and there's no 'oil slick.' LOL If I leave out the butter, I still grind in some salt, as I have my BPC just after 5am after walking for an hour. Salt is another of those things we need more of, not less, especially when staying in ketosis. Not everyone agrees with that, but those of us who combine LCHF with Intermittent Fasting know it keeps us from feeling tired. BTW, if I use too many acronyms, let me know which ones are used here. thx
3/3
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

I am a fellow Bulletproofer too! I use the Mentalist BP Coffee and brain octane usually with grass fed butter or ghee! I take it one step further... I have my BP coffee around noon when I am breaking my fast and add a scoop of collagen and a tablespoon of egg white powder which makes it frothy and technically a BP smoothy. At Dr. Bredesen's town hall yesterday he advised that using MCT oil in your coffee (or cream or half and half etc. ) takes you out of the fasting state so be advised.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Kenny4/4 wrote:I did Bulletproof Coffee the other day to take a full 16 hr fast to a quasi 24hr fast and also as a way of transitioning from 16 hr daily fasts to a day to day 23 hr fast.
All I can say is it was an amazing experience!

I am concerned that the saturated fats may be harmful, but how can something that feels so good be so bad?
I am trying to convince myself that saturated fats are only bad when combined with carbs and that if you burn them up before leaving ketosis it can't hurt you.

Kenny, I can't tell you the answer to that, but IF IT WAS ME (and it is), I reluctantly stepped away from saturated fats when I became convinced that I was in an unhappy minority that can't process them (or "clear" them) successfully. This business of the PPARG gene rs1801282 was part of that convincing, along with the experience of seeing lipid test results swing wildly from "high" and "borderline high" to "optimal" depending on whether I was eating coconut oil and dairy fat or not. If it was me, and I wanted the bulletproof coffee experience, I'd go with the avocado or olive oil. YMMV, good luck.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Kenny4/4 wrote:I did Bulletproof Coffee the other day to take a full 16 hr fast to a quasi 24hr fast and also as a way of transitioning from 16 hr daily fasts to a day to day 23 hr fast.
All I can say is it was an amazing experience! I normally feel a bit sluggish shifting gears into and out of ketosis while fasting. This experience was like the clouds parting and the sky clearing in my brain. I accomplished all my weekend chores around the house and exercised hard while in ketosis. I have never before this cared to exercise hard in fasting ketosis.

It is good stuff. I haven't brewed a BP in a while, but I didn't find the effects of pure C8 mct oil to be too discouraging to my bloodwork (I would tend to avoid the butter / coconut oil though, as a personal preference.) This can boost my ketones from minimal levels to 0.5-1.5mmol/L for a few hours before they fall back down. Although if I eat HFLC, it's not uncommon to measure 2.4mmol/L in the afternoon without dipping under say 1, so I don't find the drink any more ketogenic or conducive to fat-burning than not having the drink.

Sometimes, just a good salty broth is all you need for some clear energy (it's worth experimenting with if your blood pressure is normal.) I would bet that healthy dose of a peppery robust olive oil would ruin my morning cup of joe, haha. Might make more sense to just have some nuts on the side (or a bit of 85%+ dark chocolate -- bonus pts if you can enjoy 100% unsweetened.)
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kenny4/4 »

apod wrote:

It is good stuff. I haven't brewed a BP in a while, but I didn't find the effects of pure C8 mct oil to be too discouraging to my bloodwork (I would tend to avoid the butter / coconut oil though, as a personal preference.) This can boost my ketones from minimal levels to 0.5-1.5mmol/L for a few hours before they fall back down. Although if I eat HFLC, it's not uncommon to measure 2.4mmol/L in the afternoon without dipping under say 1, so I don't find the drink any more ketogenic or conducive to fat-burning than not having the drink.

Sometimes, just a good salty broth is all you need for some clear energy (it's worth experimenting with if your blood pressure is normal.) I would bet that healthy dose of a peppery robust olive oil would ruin my morning cup of joe, haha. Might make more sense to just have some nuts on the side (or a bit of 85%+ dark chocolate -- bonus pts if you can enjoy 100% unsweetened.)
Yes, I have avoided Bulletproof Coffee since the post. I have a a fondness for Saturated Fats that I keep at bay because of my relative's and family's long and tragic history of MS. The Swank diet (Dr. Roy Swank) for treatment and prevention of MS recommends very little to no saturated fat. I think us 4's are attracted to fats because we can use them as energy so well?

I drink my coffee black with beans from a high quality local roaster that I grind at just the right size seconds before brewing or pressing. I am a bit of a Coffee freak and it is one thing I couldn't give up.

I wish I could drink bulletproof coffee or my old favorite a Tim Horton's Double Double. For now until further research it's Black Coffee and 22/2 fasts for me.
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tesslo »

Jena S wrote:I am wondering if anyone here drinks high-quality coffee with MCT oil (Bulletproof Brain Octane is one specific brand on the market) and grass-fed butter. If so, how does it make you feel? Do you incorporate this with fasting to utilize ketones?

My husband and I have been drinking coffee with healthy fats for about 9 months and we absolutely swear by it (for us). We have energy that lasts all day and feel like any brain fog is lifted. Go mitochondria!!!
I use it occasionally but I prefer coconut oil because of the flavor...also I found out that coconut oil is beneficial for persons with their gallbladders removed because that is the only oil that can be utilized or MCT's anyway http://www.bergmanchiropractic.com/ he has a GREAT youtube channel as well...coconut oil is the decadent creamer I never used....
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

BTW, if you don't do caffeine, try this:
"Crio Brü is brewed drink made from 100% cacao beans (also known as cocoa beans), roasted to perfection. ... Crio Brü has practically no caffeine, but cocoa beans do naturally contain theobromine which is a non-addictive, gentle, long lasting stimulant."
3/3
woleile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by woleile »

My second day of drinking bulletproof coffee, I found the energy I've been missing for the past..oh, 20 years or so. It's been about a month, and I've continued to have normal energy levels on most days, after twenty years of disabling fatigue. My son points out that the tablespoon of MCT oil in there has under 150 calories, so just burning it as fuel can't account for the steady energy I now have all day.

I'm a Bredesen type III (toxic due to mold poisoning), which I think may have something to do with my reponse. Mycotoxins are known to damage mitochondria, Maybe the damage is only to the glucose-burning pathway and that's why exogenous ketones are so helpful to me. (I can't find any literature about the actual mechanism of the mitochondrial damage, so I'm just guessing.) I do know it's the ketones in the MCT oil (Bulletproof Brain Octane), because heavy cream doesn't have the same effect. And that's about all I know. It's a mystery I'll be repeating every morning for the rest of my life.

(But not with Bulletproof brand coffee. Once cup of that stuff and I composted the rest of the (expensive) bag. I drink Illy, a low-mycotoxin brand that actually tastes good.)
Woleile
E4/E4
Bredesen type 3 (mold toxicity)
homozygous MTHFR C677T, COMT
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

woleile wrote:My second day of drinking bulletproof coffee, I found the energy I've been missing for the past..oh, 20 years or so. It's been about a month, and I've continued to have normal energy levels on most days, after twenty years of disabling fatigue.

I do know it's the ketones in the MCT oil (Bulletproof Brain Octane), because heavy cream doesn't have the same effect. And that's about all I know. It's a mystery I'll be repeating every morning for the rest of my life.
I am so excited for you woleile! Amazingly good news.

At the risk of being a nit-picker, Bulletproof is a MCT (medium chain triglyceride) product and not a ketone. According to a recent podcast I listened to, with Dr Peter Attia MD and Dr Dom D'Agostino PhD (who specializes in ketosis), about 50% of MCTs convert to ketones, and maybe 20% of MCTs get across the blood brain barrier (BBB).
Slacker
E4/E4