when ya get sick....

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
GritMom
Contributor
Contributor

when ya get sick....

Post by GritMom »

After reading Bredesen's book several weeks ago, I have been congratulating myself for sticking to a physical training regime, a very thoughtful diet with meticulous supplementation, and careful attention to clean sleep. Of course, I've even gone so far as to announce to all "how very long it has been since I've been sick". Then, I got sick. All sound choices have since gone to hell in a handbasket. Red-nosed, sneezing and coughing my way through the day, I'm craving (and eating) all of the wrong things. Previously detested OTC meds surround me. Read ingredients? Count carbs? Get off the couch? No. My fall from grace is complete. I'm wondering what others have done when in the throes of temporary misery and illness?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: when ya get sick....

Post by SusanJ »

GritMom wrote:Of course, I've even gone so far as to announce to all "how very long it has been since I've been sick". Then, I got sick.
The ultimate jinx!

Yep, OTC drugs help. No reason to suffer. My last cold in December, which my husband kindly shared, I used an antihistamine to stop the post-nasal drip. And zinc lozenges. Mine lasted about a week, with only one bad day. My husband was sick for 3 weeks, ending up with a sinus infection. In the past, that would have been me, so I'm guessing my health improvements have helped.

I always try to keep a couple of containers of soup in the freezer for times like that. Soup and some Simple Mills crackers are just the ticket for me, because I'm usually not that hungry. I never exercise while in the worst of it. Just doesn't work for me, and seems to extend the misery. I just catch up on life by listening to audio books or new music as I lie in bed.

So, take care of yourself. Lie on the couch, eat some carbs if that's what you're craving, and don't beat yourself up about falling off the wagon. Hope you feel better soon!
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Sending you virtual chicken soup, GritMom. Take care of yourself.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Ah, gritmom. I had such a great breakthrough day yesterday and today I yelled at my housemate (pretty much unprovoked) and took nsaids for some nagging pain, which I had avoided for two days. Can I identify! My two bits is forget being hard on yourself. Use whatever you can muster on getting better, not beating yourself up. I'm thinking we all have up and down days.

You are not a failure when you fall, you are only a failure if you don't get back up.

Okay, smarmy, I know. But I like those quotes that remind me what's important.

Get better quick!
Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
GritMom
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GritMom »

Thank you for the encouragement, SusanJ, Jan and Drae. I think I am finally turning a corner today. I am so eager to get back to the gym and to detoxify from the highly flawed foods I've eaten. The gym will have to wait; I do not feel strong enough to lift and jump. But, I'd love to detox as my symptoms recede. ( I feel inflamed everywhere!)
This morning I had baked brussel sprouts and carrots. May this trend continue ....
Thanks, again, for the words of support!
Peace,
Ro
Cas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cas »

GritMom pleased to hear you’re feeling a bit better! I think you definitely have to listen to your body when you’re not 100% and do whatever you feel you need to. I’m just recovering from some sort of horrible virus (the latest my daughter has kindly shared with us from school!) and I’m planning to ease myself back into exercise very very gently!
Take care.
Cas
Functional Medicine Coaching Academy Student