New to the block

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
JimHinCO
New User
New User

New to the block

Post by JimHinCO »

Read about your group months ago, in Bredesen's book, and went about helping older sister with his protocol. She and her family (five grown children) are in denial, so I'm on my own here. Thought I'd test and found two copies of E4. Found a functional doc in Denver to help put a game plan together, which were in the process of. Just browsing now. Thanks
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New to the block

Post by Maryann »

Hello jimHinCo,
I can relate to denial. I called the Alzheimers association a several years before my father and siblings would even discuss that my sweet Mom had a problem with her memory. The association at least gave me some emotional support at the time. I found it unbelievable that my family could deny the symptoms and sometime's I just thought they preferred to keep their he'd in the sand. I will never really know what that was all about. I bet they were reacting out of fear. I just did what I could at the time to help keep Mom functioning at home as long as possible. You were very brave to be tested! I'm so happy you have a functional medicine doctor on board, you will read some really promising information here on this site. You'll find some good information in the Primer under the welcome tab.
Hang in there and take good care,
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi Jim welcome. Please ask if you have any questions. Enjoy browsing!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
JimHinCO
New User
New User

Post by JimHinCO »

Maryann wrote:Hello jimHinCo,
I can relate to denial. I called the Alzheimers association a several years before my father and siblings would even discuss that my sweet Mom had a problem with her memory. The association at least gave me some emotional support at the time. I found it unbelievable that my family could deny the symptoms and sometime's I just thought they preferred to keep their he'd in the sand. I will never really know what that was all about. I bet they were reacting out of fear. I just did what I could at the time to help keep Mom functioning at home as long as possible. You were very brave to be tested! I'm so happy you have a functional medicine doctor on board, you will read some really promising information here on this site. You'll find some good information in the Primer under the welcome tab.
Hang in there and take good care,
Thanks Maryann,
Nice to know that I"m not the only one confronting denial. Sis, six years my senior, is showing some signs of reversal. She's impatient, say the pills aren"t helping. A few weeks ago she didn"t care, but she"s still taking them voluntarily, there is hope. Thanks again.
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

Welcome JimHin!

I can completely relate to the denial thing. . . it is SO hard to be in the position of "knowing better", but I am personally working really hard on simply having compassion and even greater patience with family who do not "ACT" as quickly as I think they should. My family is riddled with health issues and there are varying degrees of action being taken - and as a health coach in training, I can only sit idle and wait for them to come to me for support and guidance (which is all I can do).

People are on their own journey and I've come to realize that it's not up to me to force them into a different direction. I applaud you for taking steps to learn more and now that you know your status, kudos for joining us on this site! This "family" of 4s and their caretakers offer a plethora of information, optimism and strength.

"See" you around on the forums!
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

Well said CoachDD! There is something about family that makes them resistant to advice! In the end it was comforting for me to realize that I was not the captain of the ship when it came to my parents health. Once I realized I was really just along for the ride I was able to ride the waves so to speak. It is so very important to realize that our main goal is to take care of ourselves and getting worked up about others not taking our well meaning advice will effect our own health if we allow it to. My goal is to stay positive and never to lose my sense of humor!