VENTING about ridiculous horrible stupid food environment!

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Lindy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: VENTING about ridiculous horrible stupid food environment!

Post by Lindy »

Sara, thanks for sharing your sources!
Sara wrote:Lindy, I love the Bulletproof Bars, lemon are my favorite... however they do have some collagen in them so if you are trying to stay dairy free they may not be the best solution.
Yes, I'm trying to stay dairy-free (no A2 cows within a thousand miles) and meat-free but I understand that eggs are a good source of collagen and many other nutrients - if I can find a bar that uses egg collagen I'll be set.
Sara wrote:Funny you are asking me as I recently spent some time researching and found that the bars that are free of gluten, dairy, sugar, etc. are high in carbs.
I know! I must have looked at fifty different "health food" energy bars and each of them fell short of the protocol in some way.
Sara wrote:My most cost effective and easiest solution are to grab a handful of almonds or other nuts and a few baby carrots. Even a hard boiled egg but keep it under wraps as they smell.. I know that goes without saying... but try unwrapping one in a roomful of people and see what happens - right up there with fish! :oops: Turkey jerkey - watch the sugar and half a green banana are good snacks once in a while.
I pack a ton of edible snacks in a bento box when I'm on the road by myself or with my spouse. Nuts, seeds, celery with almond butter, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, bite-size raw leafy greens, finger-food leftovers, etc. It keeps my hubby from grabbing crappy road food at gas stations. :-) I'm also used to getting up early and setting up an assembly line for anti-inflammatory lunches for my hubby and son, and for me too if I'm going to have to attend a business lunch. it doesn't take very long now, and my family loves them, but an energy bar with all the right things would be less labor-intensive, far less space--consuming in the fridge, and good for those insanely busy days.
Sara wrote: Last but not least, Dr. Gundry approved food list under Energy Bars includes Quest Bars, B-Up Bars, Human Food bar, Adapt Bar. Watch for dairy. I am going to be traveling for a few days so I have been stocking up. Good luck! Sara :D
Thanks for the tip! I'll see which of his picks fit the Bredesen protocol and maybe my dream bar will appear!
APOE-ε4/ε4 on the voyage of discovery.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Lindy wrote:I pack a ton of edible snacks in a bento box when I'm on the road by myself or with my spouse. Nuts, seeds, celery with almond butter, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, bite-size raw leafy greens, finger-food leftovers, etc. It keeps my hubby from grabbing crappy road food at gas stations. :-) I'm also used to getting up early and setting up an assembly line for anti-inflammatory lunches for my hubby and son, and for me too if I'm going to have to attend a business lunch.
I f I don't "pre-eat" at home before events, I carry an insulated bag with me everywhere I go. Sometimes I'll go out to my car and eat there. I also do an assembly line to set up salads, containers of roasted veggies, healthy proteins, etc for several days at a time. I use the single serving organic guacamole for dipping celery, jicama, carrots for a quick snack. Always have bags of nuts, and I make a low carb granola from nuts, seeds, and egg to hold it together. It's not a granola bar, but it's portable and I can think of it as a granola bar deconstructed!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Lindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindy »

JML wrote: I make a low carb granola from nuts, seeds, and egg to hold it together. It's not a granola bar, but it's portable and I can think of it as a granola bar deconstructed!
That sounds great, Julie! Do you bake it? Have a recipe? That might be my answer to the energy bar problem.
APOE-ε4/ε4 on the voyage of discovery.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

I used to advise my clients who travel to decide how much protein they needed. Then request that protein and two generous servings of whatever fresh vegetables they were serving without looking at the menu or choice selection. Surprisingly most servers will do there best to help you out. Sometimes it didn't work especially when nearly everyone around them said I would like the same!!!!! Time to stand up to what our needs are.
seaweed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seaweed »

Julie G wrote:
I had the surreal experience of dining with Drs. Bredesen, Wahls and Gundry all at one table. We were at a Mediterranean restaurant. The poor unsuspecting waitress brought a huge bread basket over and all three of them screamed: "NO, take it away!" :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
4/4 & prior CIRS (lyme + mold)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I was having casual dinner at a friends, and to accommodate me the menu item was a dinner salad with protein, for which I was truly ever so grateful. I looked at the salad for all three of us before it was fished out and it was less than my salad alone would have been in my kitchen! She saw the look of fear and panic on my face and quickly mixed up some more :lol: Getting hungry just thinking about that ant-sized salad!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Lindy wrote:That sounds great, Julie! Do you bake it? Have a recipe? That might be my answer to the energy bar problem.
Lindy--Yes, it is baked. I just entered the recipe into the Wiki recipe site--at the end of the Miscellaneous section. Enjoy!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:Instead of asking the waitstaff to hold the bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, whatever; we now ask them to REPLACE it with extra veggies.
Great idea!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Indywoman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: VENTING about ridiculous...and food bars

Post by Indywoman »

Lindy,

I order items from Julian bakery online. I get Paleo protein bars with sunflower butter. They have 28 grams of carbs, 23 grams of fiber, and 1 gm of sugar with no gluten and have egg white protein. I have about two a week and they are SO filling. I also get Julian Bakery Pro Granola vanilla cinnamon cluster cereal that has 12 grams of fiber, 0 sugars, and 14 gms of carbs per 1/2 cup.
We are all comrades in the search for foods that are good and meet the requirements for our APOE 4 status, and in my case homozygous APOE 4's. Good luck!
4/4. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I'll take an EPIC Siracha Chicken bar and a baggy full of vegetables (cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, celery, sweet peppers, etc) when I know that my food choices will not be optimal or I'll be way from home during my usual eating time. I even take that combo hiking and am very satisfied with it for lunch. I learned to make jerky using ground meats last month. I have a dehydrator so have been experimenting with flavors and meats. So far, Buffalo Chicken Jerky has been my favorite (Think spicy and like an EPIC Siracha Chicken bar). The best part is controlling what I put in to my food and no sugar (oh and a lot less expensive too). I'll put the jerky recipe in the Wiki.
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist