Road trip diet advice

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Road trip diet advice

Post by HeatherLst »

I need your best advice for surviving road trips with family. I read previous threads on travel but mine will include a lot of fast food stops. I’m helping my parents move cross-country, and they are covering all of our expenses—so I will be eating where they eat, which aren’t generally healthy places. (They follow the AHA and ADA diets, with LOTS of processed foods and artificial sweeteners.)

I’ll be on the road with them for three days, in hotels and eating out. Then we’ll be at their new home for four days, when I’ll have more control over my options. But it’s those three days in Holiday Inns and fast food on the road that I’m concerned about. My kid with autism will be with us and he’s a super picky eater, so asking them to choose places like Chipotle, etc (not great but healthier than McD’s!) isn’t really an option. I won’t have access to refrigeration until we reach their new house.

Can you share your best options when you are forced to eat McDonalds, Wendy’s, pizza places, etc?

I’m planning on packing nuts, sardines, canned salmon, grapefruit, dark chocolate, and chia seed and dried fruits for breakfasts. I can pack MCT oil too if that helps. Maybe chewable ginger? Oh, and I’ll have digestive enzymes to help digest this mess that I’m not used to eating!

I’d normally relax and go with the flow when I travel but I’m **just** hitting my goal weight and this is an unexpected trip. We already have vacation scheduled for three weeks after we return from this trip, so I don’t want to have that long term off-kilter. I’m happy to help them, as they’ve both fallen recently and broken bones, but I want to not let this derail me from the progress I’ve made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by HeatherLst on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APOE4/4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Road trip diet advice

Post by Stavia »

Subway chicken and salad? Drenched with a little bottle of olive oil you have with you in your handbag.
Quest bars for protein.
Boiled eggs (Ive seen them available in shops in the USA).
Beef jerky.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
woleile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by woleile »

A Google search turned up nobunplease.com, which deals specifically with how to eat low-carb in McDonald's, Wendy's and such.
Woleile
E4/E4
Bredesen type 3 (mold toxicity)
homozygous MTHFR C677T, COMT
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

When I am traveling and can't control where I (we) stop to eat, I stock up on a lot of protein bars. There are some that I like that have a good amount of protein. I like Think Thin which has 20grams of protein and no sugar. So after I do my best to eat well wherever, if I am still hungry one of these fills me up.

Good Luck
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Anywhere that makes grilled meats and makes salads can work to cobble up a "taco salad". If you aren't at a Subway or sandwich shop, just get the grilled burger, or chicken sans bun along with a side salad. Cut up the meat, add a cut up avocado (bring your own avocado and a knife), add some salsa or picante (or whatever they have in packets) and throw in a little EVOO.

Most pizza places also make salads, so if they don't offer a main course salad, just see if you can get them to top a side salad with some safe meats from their specialty pizzas.

I've been known to take squeeze packets of almond butter (like Justins) and an apple when going through certain "not a lot of choice for food" type of airports. For your son he might like apple-almond butter "sandwiches". Just slice the apple horizontally, cut out the seeds, smear with almond butter and put another slice on top.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

These are great ideas! I’ll look at the Keto link, I looked at a few but they were usually things like ‘pack pork rinds’ or full of sugar-free artificial substitutes.

I forgot how portable avocados are. Adding those to the list, along with canned beans for some easy resistant starch.

APOE4/4
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

Thanks everyone for the tips. We’re on day two of our trip to move my parents from KY to FL. To make things extra fun, 36 hours before I left we found a major leak in our kitchen that included mold and water damage—and I’m super allergic to mold of any kind. So it’s good that I’m traveling while the contractor is cleaning that up, ripping out floors and damaged cabinets!

I decided to simplify things: I’m doing iced bulletproof coffee in the mornings instead of trying to cobble together a breakfast while on the road. I’ve got powdered mct oil, maca, collagen and ghee to go in my coffee. I figure I can handle the extra saturated fats for a few days now and then, plus it gives me some ketones short term while staying low-carb is difficult. I’ve got kind bars, bananas and cashew butter for times when I don’t have great options or just want a snack. My parents are being good and trying to help pick places where I can at least find a salad or something to eat. Oh, and I bought a bag of candied organic ginger. It’s not too bad on sugar per piece, and it gives me a sweet and spicy kick when everyone else is having candy or sweets.

I’m going to be without a kitchen for a month or more, so the bulletproof coffee or green smoothie option will make life simpler. I’m glad I thought about this and stocked up before everything happened!

APOE4/4
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

Partly to make things easy, I just bring along a lot of nuts, and take a multivitamin and -mineral supplement. I figure a couple days without veggies won't matter much.
ε4/ε4 (for now).
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tesslo »

hello, It sounds like what you are bringing should suffice...just stop at a park to eat and let the kids run around! Also, I find that Starbucks has healthy options sometimes and COFFEE!