Morning mineral cocktail?

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Morning mineral cocktail?

Post by McGido »

Anyone have any favourite morning concoctions to get the day started?

Right now I'm experimenting with

- 18oz brita filtered water
- pinch of himalayan pink salt
- pinch of potassium
- pinch of black pepper
- grate 1-3 tsp of tumeric root
- grate 1 tsp of ginger root
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- sometimes add lime/lemon

So far, it feels great to have first thing in the morning.. my girlfriend doesn't know how I drink it but I think I enjoy the somewhat off taste of it :lol: .. I think psychologically it makes you think you're doing something healthy.

My only reservation is if adding all the extra ingredients negates benefit from intermittent fasting.

What's the first thing you have in the morning?!
ccfield
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Morning mineral cocktail?

Post by ccfield »

Hi McGido,

I do something similar:
12 oz spring water
1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
cider vinegar (not all of the time)
lemon

I agree that it feels great. Also, I am not great at drinking enough water after my workouts, so I feel that the salt is a necessary supplement to keep my electrolytes in balance, especially after the hours of sleeping. I've noticed that it feels good too and also wonder if it's just placebo, but I don't really care. I feel good doing it.

I do need my coffee, so after the morning concoction I go do a quick 20 minute walk to get the blood flowing and see the sun, and then rush to get my coffee fix!

I will try your recipe next week and let you know how it goes.

- Carrie B
- Carrie B
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

McGido wrote:
My only reservation is if adding all the extra ingredients negates benefit from intermittent fasting.
Fasting physiologically ends when calories are consumed. For example, cream in coffee. The less the calories, the less the effect on fasting benefits. It's not all or nothing. There are negligible calories in your cocktail, so you'll probably do just fine.
Slacker
E4/E4
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I often do one in the morning with filtered water and added salt + lo-salt. It's not too fancy, but seems to work better for me than plain water in the morning. While eating low-carb, having this in the morning seems to help prevent against leg cramps at night. I'll have to experiment with kicking it up with some lemon juice / ginger.

Do you whip all this up fresh in the morning, or is there a pitcher or something in the fridge?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

apod wrote:While eating low-carb, having this in the morning seems to help prevent against leg cramps at night.
I am going to mix up a concoction with salts to drink in the am. Have been having wicked leg cramps at night. (2 minutes later)
Inspired by this thread I am now sipping a glass of water with potassium citrate , pink salt, and apple cider vinegar. If leg cramps don't wake me up tonight, maybe this will become a regular part of my day. Thanks for the ideas.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
WillsMeme
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WillsMeme »

For leg cramps, have you tried putting a bar of aromatic soap between the sheets at the end of your bed? That, together with rubbing lavender body lotion on my legs before bed, has greatly reduced leg cramps and improved my sleep.
"Fortune favors the prepared mind." -- Louis Pasteur
Liko
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Liko »

McGido wrote: - grate 1-3 tsp of tumeric root
- grate 1 tsp of ginger root
Hey McGido, if you have a high powered blender, you could just throw the fresh root in with the rest of your ingredients and let the blender blast the turmeric and ginger. I like adding both these to smoothies and haven't found a good system for grating ginger by hand - it seems to just get stuck in my grater.

For my morning drink, I usually do warm water with lemon. I'm going to give your recipe a try (without the potassium since I don't have it). Thanks for sharing!
Kaliko
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I like Roobios tea in the mornings, it is calming and gentle.
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

apod wrote:I often do one in the morning with filtered water and added salt + lo-salt. It's not too fancy, but seems to work better for me than plain water in the morning. While eating low-carb, having this in the morning seems to help prevent against leg cramps at night. I'll have to experiment with kicking it up with some lemon juice / ginger.

Do you whip all this up fresh in the morning, or is there a pitcher or something in the fridge?
I usually whip it up fresh in the morning. But was thinking of prepping these at night so I can avoid prepping in the morning. I always over analyze stuff like this and tend to think I might not get as much benefit if it's sitting around or pre-made :lol: .. have zero science to back that up though so I should probably just make it the night before :P
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

Liko wrote: Hey McGido, if you have a high powered blender, you could just throw the fresh root in with the rest of your ingredients and let the blender blast the turmeric and ginger. I like adding both these to smoothies and haven't found a good system for grating ginger by hand - it seems to just get stuck in my grater.
I have a blendtec! Very handy machine. I use this for the turmeric and ginger typically though:

https://www.amazon.com/Microplane-46120 ... 9K1669DNZ6

Some does get stuck.. but I can usually get most of it out by tapping it on my bottle. I always do turmeric first and ginger second as the ginger seems to come out easer for whatever reason.