How to best recover from antibiotics

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

How to best recover from antibiotics

Post by SusanJ »

Well, I have a sinus infection (yep, it's bad and not resolving after 2 weeks of being very sick) and am starting a round of antibiotics. I plan to take probiotics twice daily a few hours away from the antibiotic dose, alternating Saccharomyces boulardii, and Seeking Health's bifido and Histaminix probiotics (all of which I typically tolerate well) to hopefully help my GI track to survive the assault. I'll also continue them for a month or so after. (And it's frustrating because I just managed to get my gut in pretty ding-dang good shape of late.)

It's been about 12 years since I've had a course of antibiotics, so I'm wondering if folks could share their best tricks for recovering from the antibiotic blitz. Thanks!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: How to best recover from antibiotics

Post by TheresaB »

Oh Susan, I'm so sorry. After my last surgery, when I was given antibiotics, I started taking VSL#3 http://www.vsl3.com/. I think I took it for 2 months, then switched to Schiff Digestive Advantage, cheaper and prevalent, I found it at the grocery store and at Walmart. https://www.schiffvitamins.com/products ... formula-32ct It has BC30 which unlike other probiotics is proven to make it past the stomach acid to actually do some good.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
ccfield
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ccfield »

HI Susan,

Argh, antibiotics! Thank goodness they exist, but it's never fun. I had to do this in early 2017 after a bad bout of C Diff that was caused by antibiotics and then, ironically, cured by a last-line antibiotic. My system was shot, to say the least.

I also used VSL#3 for and Saccharomyces boulardii. I don't know if you want to go this far, but I also had stool tests performed to determine the levels/types of bacteria in my gut. We did this when I began probiotic treatment and then again three months out but that was primarily because the initial problem was C Diff.

Here was my protocol (for two months) from my FM doc just for your information. It was quite a lot, especially if you are already on a number of supplements:

VSL#3 (morning and night)
Saccharomyces boulardii (morning and night)
Gastromend (http://catalog.designsforhealth.com/GastroMend-HP-60) (morning and night)
GI Synergy (https://www.apexenergetics.com/gi-synergy-2) (with breakfast and dinner)
Gut Garden Resistant Starch Prebiotic Blend (https://mygutgarden.com/)

I'm not recommending any of these specific brands. They are just the brands that I used. Good luck to you! I will be sending you good vibes.

- Carrie
- Carrie B
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Carrie, I have something like Gastromend, so good reminder to throw that in the mix. Did you get any bloating from the resistant starch?
ccfield
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ccfield »

SusanJ wrote: Carrie, I have something like Gastromend, so good reminder to throw that in the mix. Did you get any bloating from the resistant starch?
Susan, Yes! I went in like gangbusters starting with too high a dose and then cut to 1/4 to 1/2 scoop daily, building up to 2-3 scoops daily. That worked well.
- Carrie B
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
TWBD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TWBD »

After my recent surgery, I used Dr. Perlmutters Garden of Life 90 billion super-de-duper probiotics daily for one month, then dropped to 30 billion. I also make for breakfast a coconut yogurt smoothie with ground flaxseed, matcha powder, cocao powder, moringa powder, hemp hearts, cinnamon, grass-fed collagen peptides, MCT oil, Stevia, hemp milk. I take 375 gm CuraMed, and 1 or 2 grams of Liposomal C in btwn meals. I had a seriously compromised gut b4 surgery, but afterwards...it seems to be much improved which, honestly, surprised me. I also stuck to Dr. Gundry’s Plant Paradox and avoided lectins. I also take GAIA’s Oil of Oregano occasionally in place of another round of antibiotics if I feel like I need a boost to get over infections. Oil of O helps the biome so you can’t go wrong.

For sinus and ear infections, I take some daily hits of colloidal silver inhaled through the nose and drops of hydrogen peroxide mixed half with water in both ears. Anytime I get even a twinge of something affecting the upper respiratory or been exposed to someone sick, I will use the hydrogen peroxide in the ears, drinks loads of water and take extra C. With upper respiratory infections, dairy needs to be omitted. Coconut yogurt is a great choice. MCT oil in coffee, or switch to tea for awhile.
APOE 3/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Thanks TWBD. Glad to hear your approach was successful. Reading the comments so far give me hope that I can get through this.

Your smoothies sound a lot like mine, except for the yogurt (some of the strains of probiotics in commercial yogurts and I don't get along) and moringa powder. Sometimes I use MCT, sometimes not. And I've also had good luck with Oil of Oregano.

What do you use the moringa powder for?
TWBD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TWBD »

Here’s a link below that summarizes it’s benifits. It is anti-inflammatory, has a ridiculous amount of C and A with a high protein content. It helps control blood sugar, reduces pain, great for the gut. And has a rather neutral taste. I landed on a research study long time ago and just never got around to adding to my smoothie until about 4 months ago. I was looking to add more plant protein. I love a good probiotic yogurt, but it’s hard to find a nondairy one that I could stomach. I hate goats milk. Anyway, there are some good plain, probiotic coconut yogurts that don’t ruin the taste. But hey, there are plenty of great smoothie drinks w/o yogurt. I just like to get in a lot of probiotics and prebiotics to keep the gut healthy. I think a healthy gut is key to a healthy mind and body. The only drawback to any yogurt is that it does add calories which makes it more difficult to get into ketosis. I decided to make war against the devastation of antibiotics at least for 3 months without worrying about a few extra calories. I lost over 65 lbs on a keto diet, but it played havoc on my hormones as well as my gut, anxiety, connective tissues, BP, etc., and I began to have new problems that were harder to diagnose and find a root cause, like hair falling out, stomach bloat, dysphasia,etc. I finally started getting a handle on those by going on the PP diet. Gained some weight back, then lost some and still trying to get a grip on the discipline and meal planning to always having something available to eat healthy even when I don’t feel like cooking.
APOE 3/4
TWBD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TWBD »

Man, (or non-gender identifying exclamation)! I’m soooo ADD! Pardon me for the rambling.
APOE 3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Perhaps too late and not on the gut, but I use this way to irrigate my sinuses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwJBBinb220
Tincup
E3,E4