What's the deal with Whey Protein amino acid profile sheets?

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

What's the deal with Whey Protein amino acid profile sheets?

Post by apod »

I was reading about proline-rich peptides, lactoferrin, and the benefits of IGF1 and immunoglobulins and wanted to get a feel for what the specs looked like in common whey protein offerings.

I was looking at a common brand of Whey Protein at my grocery store (Jay Robb) which lists 25g protein providing:
* 398mg glycine
* 4306mg glutamic acid
* 530mg methionine
* along with 125mg calcium and I'm guessing very little lactoferrin / immunoglobulins

Now, the bulletproof whey @ https://www.bulletproof.com/whey-protein-net-wt-16-oz lists 25g protein providing:
* 4,318mg glycine (why so high?)
* 575mg glutamic acid (why so low?)
* 557mg methionine
* along with 376mg calcium (why so high?) and unknown lactoferrin / immunoglobulins (it says 5x the "normal" amount...)

Looking at Xymogen's comparable product with colostrum (listed as being high in IgG) @ 25g protein, it lists:
* 625mg glycine
* 5,656mg glutamic acid (why so high?)
* 781mg methionine
* along with 100mg calcium + 2.5g of immunoglobulins @40% IgG

To get another data point, I checked out Well Wisdom (without colostrum), which lists:
* 710mg glycine
* 664mg glutamic acid
* 525mg methionine
* along with 133mg calcium and 3.2g of Immunoglobulins (higher than the one from colostrum sold as being high in Immunoglobulins?)

I was curious what Mt Capra's "Capra Colostrum" looked like or their Goat Whey, but couldn't find the specs. Is there really this much variance in whey protein?
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: What's the deal with Whey Protein amino acid profile sheets?

Post by Rainbow »

I'd also appreciate knowing. I don't currently supplement with whey, but it's something that interests me.
4/4